Windows/64 Build #131, Tavern Keeper Quest Crashes [CLOSED]

kingOfWyrms

Windows/64 Build #131, Tavern Keeper Quest Crashes [CLOSED]

Post by kingOfWyrms »

I've been repeatedly running into this problem where "talk"ing to a tavernkeeper and getting a quest causes the UI to disappear, and the game to subsequently crash. Definitely reproducible since it happens every time, and I've tested it with no mods active, but there is the possibility that it may be caused by loose textures or quests in streamingassets if this turns out to not be as easily reproducible as I thought.

Also, good to see how far everything's gotten over the years! The progress and collaboration of this community is amazing, and frankly a bit inspiring. Cheers to Gav and everyone else who's made DFU what it is today, and here's to continued success and growth!

Interkarma

Re: Windows/64 Build #131, Tavern Keeper Quest Crashes

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the report, and for the kind words. :)

Could you please provide a copy of your output_log.txt and quest_log.txt files after reproducing issue. This will help us get to the bottom of it. Cheers!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This maybe the same regression issue that you were discussing having fixed with Nystul?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It could be. I released new builds with that fix ealier today.

KoW, there's a new build up on Live Builds now that fixes a recent NPC issue. Could you try again with latest build and let me know if problem persists?

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

I've tested a bit more, using the new build, #132, and can confirm the issue is not remedied. I do however have further insight as to it's circumstances now.

I have had the issue occur from accepting quests from not only tavernkeeps, but also shopkeeps, so seemingly anyone who has one of those multiple option prompts for "talk/sell/etc". Immediately after accepting the quest, the HUD disappears, and I have found no way to bring it back during gameplay. Pausing the game with the esc menu does cause the hud to reappear, however, it only stays visible in the pause menu, and disappears again on unpause. The crash itself only occurs on death, and might be related to trying to load the death cutscene in the "broken HUD" state. All of this is probably unnecessary information though, if the problem is, as it seems, simply that the HUD is not being properly reinitialised/reappearing after going through one of the YES/NO textboxes to accept quests when immediately preceded by the merchant option selection prompt.

I've sent the log files anyhow, they should be in your email, Interkarma.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This just sounds like another commoner quest related crash. Have fixed several of these already, and not surprised we're still chasing them.

Thanks for logs KoW. I can't see any errors in the logs, but the last quest parsed was K0C00Y08 from Daggerfall/Daggerfall sending player to Daggerfall/The Morgyn Coven (just a regular dungeon despite the name).

Will look into this deeper when I can.