Build #137 64bit Town automap freezes the game [RESOLVED]

NikitaTheTanner

Build #137 64bit Town automap freezes the game [RESOLVED]

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Not sure what causes it, but for me town automap freezes the game - it simply opens, but won't load any actual buildings, just empty, then I can't close it or do anything, I only hear music looping. I would love to help troubleshoot the issue, so I can enjoy game in all its glory and so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I grabbed the latest PreAlpha 0.5 #137 14-Oct-18 (64-bit version) and I'm running it with no mods. The game runs more or less smoothly with the settings that I've got, but loading does take some time, especially on launch, plus there is an occasional performance drop when fighting enemies (you hear a hit, and the game freezes for a couple of seconds), but running great otherwise which surprised me, considering my laptop is not so great.

But the map issue happens every time I try to use it, and frustratingly, I have to leave the game each time. It makes larger towns almost impossible to navigate (though I remember when it wasn't available at all in DFU, but it should work now right?). I'm sure it has worked before in older builds (though I have tried last one quite some time ago), not sure why it doesn't work now.

Interkarma

Re: Build #137 64bit Town automap freezes the game

Post by Interkarma »

Could you please provide a zip of your output log after reproducing issue.

NikitaTheTanner

Sure thing! Here it is.
Attachments
output_log.zip
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks! :)

Your exception is below:

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallExteriorAutomapWindow.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallExteriorAutomapWindow.OnPush () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceManager.AddWindow (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow window) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceManager.PushWindow (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow window) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.ProcessMessages () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Nothing specific here, but seems UI is missing an essential file. My first thought is that your game data might not be complete.

Please download "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds page. Unzip this and point Daggerfall Unity to these game files instead.

Another thing is to make sure you've unzipped the latest build into a clean folder, deleting any previous copies of Daggerfall Unity in the target location. Strange things can happen when unzipping newer versions on top of the old ones.

NikitaTheTanner

Thanks, Interkarma! I did unzip into fresh folder, but maybe it's game files, I will download them again. Though this is strange, it did seem to work before. Perhaps it's not finding the correct folder, and uses something else... I think that there is more than one DF installation on my machine, including the download you mentioned, maybe it's using the wrong one.

P.S. Okay, sadly, this didn't help. :oops:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Let me know how you go, hopefully fresh known-good game files will resolve it.

NikitaTheTanner

Nope, unfortunately, it didn't help. I've tried to change graphic settings, remove fancy fonts, didn't help either. Just in case, attaching my DFTFU_Environment.log - maybe it can help. Resource files C:\Games\DaggerfallGameFiles are just downloaded from DaggerfallGameFiles.zip in LiveBuilds section
Attachments
DFTFU_Environment.zip
(8.09 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

NikitaTheTanner

I've "fixed" the issue by putting all settings up as high as possible, setting graphics to beautiful - map started loading :D Think it's probably a bug, but I can't say which setting for certain causes it.

I've just noticed that there was some other issue about surface depth appearing on the lowest settings, so I intuitively decided to go the opposite way and put everything on the max, assuming that most people probably run the game that way (which I avoided for some extra FPS). The FPS is rather decent even on high, so I'll probably play it this way, but I hope that this can be fixed in either case.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I just tried all quality presets from "fastest" to "fantastic" and did not experience any issues with automap in any one. Problem seems specific to your end.

I'll move this one into Help & Support as doesn't seem to correlate to a bug just yet, and doesn't seem to be reproducable.

NikitaTheTanner

Hello, Interkarma!
Sorry for the confusion, I've played with the settings again this morning, because I didn't have time to test them more yesterday, and it seems that graphics settings have nothing to do with this. I've just assumed it was, since I've turned everything to the max.

But no, in my specific case, the automap freezes if Tooltips (of all things!) are disabled in the menu. It's kinda weird, I don't mind them, so I'll keep them on, but I'm interested to know if it's just something weird on my side, or it is a potential issue, which I found by accident. If it's just me - cool, I've got it to work in any case, it's an awesome game with some great updates! :D But if it is reproducible, hope you'll guys find what exactly causes it.

So, Tooltips: off - automap freezes, Tooltips: on - everything works like magic.