Build #136 - The Missing Price (Sx001) Quest item spawned outside of play area [RESOLVED]

jfcaron

Build #136 - The Missing Price (Sx001) Quest item spawned outside of play area [RESOLVED]

Post by jfcaron »

I'm not sure if this is an original Daggerfall bug or a Daggerfall Unity thing, and it's my first time reporting a bug.

I was playing build #136 for OSX.

I started "The Missing Prince" quest and everything went as described on the UESP wiki: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Missing_Prince until the step "Finding the Evidence". Instead of being sent to one of the two places named on the Wiki, I was sent to "The Raatham Ruins". The Raatham Ruins is indeed a dungeon but I couldn't find the quest item anywhere. I tried to cheat with the debug commands to teleport to the quest spawn or to get all the quest items for active quests, but neither worked. I also tried finding Castle Faallem or The Fortress of Fhojum and they do not exist.

I tried updating my build to #138 and reloading the save, but again the debug commands don't do anything.

In addition to reporting the bug, I'd like to know if there is another trick I can try to make this game playable? I'd like to play through the main quest if possible, but this one is a blocker as far as I know.

JF

Jay_H

Re: The Missing Price Wrong Dungeon

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome! :)

Could you upload a zip of your save game? Your bug report is good but we can analyze it directly with the save.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

This quest was working the last time I played it. If you can provide a save as Jay mentioned, we can inspect state and see what's happening.

In this case, the best console cheat to use is "tele2qitem". This is distinct from quest spawns and inventory items delivered via the quest system. Rather, it's just an item sprite you need to click on in game world. I'll be able to check save in any case once you provide it.

Until this is actually confirmed as a bug, I'm moving topic to Help & Support.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Regarding dungeon selection, the quest S0000001 specifies dungeon11 type as follows.

Code: Select all

Place _ukcrypt_ remote dungeon11 anyInfo 1015 rumors 1016
The dungeon11 type represents a "Ruined Castle". There are a total of 11 Ruined Castle dungeons in Sentinel (sort by Type in that link). "Castle Faallem" and "The Fortress of Fhojum" are only two of these, and "The Raatham Ruins" is another equally valid target for this quest.

In this case, I would disregard UESP's comments about the dungeon selection. Based on the actual quest scripting decompiled from classic, there's no reason this quest should be limited to just those two dungeons. Your dungeon selection is still correct here.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

well vanilla always picks really only either "Castle Faallem" and "The Fortress of Fhojum". Not sure how it does it, but DFU differs here ;)

some time ago we had this discussion: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... ojum#p8989

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Based on the quest script itself, I would consider this resolving a limitation in classic rather than a bug in DFU. :)

As I mentioned in that older thread, I'd be happy to hardcode the behaviour if people find this really important. But I don't see any real issue in allowing the quest to execute like any other quest with the same scripting and use the full range of dungeons available.

pango

Post by pango »

What is interesting is that according to the lore the missing prince is supposed to have been left for dead in an ancient prison, not a ruined castle; And "Prison" dungeon class exists, but is not what is used by the quest. Confusing.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am Based on the quest script itself, I would consider this resolving a limitation in classic rather than a bug in DFU. :)

As I mentioned in that older thread, I'd be happy to hardcode the behaviour if people find this really important. But I don't see any real issue in allowing the quest to execute like any other quest with the same scripting and use the full range of dungeons available.
I am personally (can't speak for others) totally fine with the DFU behavior. Just wanted to point out how it is in vanilla (even given it is a bug)

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

Sorry, I read the instructions but I forgot to attach the save file. I've added it now. The save was done using build #136 but I since replaced the App with build #138 and re-opened the save in that. I don't know if that shows up in the file. I also added the Player.log
Attachments
Player.log.zip
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
SAVE15.zip
(240.75 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am Based on the quest script itself, I would consider this resolving a limitation in classic rather than a bug in DFU. :)
I vote entirely in favor of how it stands now. With that said, I believe the current quest location system has some shortcomings that'll need to be resolved in the future. For example, classic has Mages Guild quests that guarantee a group of robbers/assassins will show up at the Mages Guild every time. In DFU the location "magery" could be a Mages Guild hall, a Fighters Guild hall, or a Knightly Order. DFU is missing some necessary bit to specify that it's at the Mages Guild each time.

That doesn't affect this current matter, but I expect this issue will have to be spliced some more in the future.

As for this topic, I can confirm the death certificate is not in its proper place in the save game. The quest item marker is properly placed but there's no letter to grab.