Build #139 (win 10, x64): Combat visuals do not match actions [RESOLVED]

Prester Lewin

Build #139 (win 10, x64): Combat visuals do not match actions [RESOLVED]

Post by Prester Lewin »

Perhaps the simple answer to this is that it's WIP. Also, perhaps it was the same in classic - I can't recall. I can't do video capture, so I can't offer you evidence of it in DFU, but this happens many, many times. I probably do as much dungeon delving as anyone else at the current time, so I feel entitled to describe it.

Explanation: I have a level 22 character, highly stealthy (although not planned that way), 100 agility, 100 speed, high levels of long and short blade, a daedric tanto of oblivion as favoured weapon at present. So, I creep up behind an unsuspecting enemy, start to swing my tanto and they show no sign of awareness of my existence...

Bang! Instantly, just as my tanto starts to move, I take a hit. If it's a ghost, I'm instantly paralysed (yes, I know that resistance to paralysis isn't implemented yet, that's not the problem I'm describing). The enemy is still motionless and looking off to the side, so it's not clear how it could physically get a touch attack in. Then, slowly, it turns to face me...

I think this raises serious questions about combat mechanics of stealth, agility and speed -v- detection, how touch and melee attack works, but, above all, what happens does not match to the feedback I'm getting through the main interface I have with the game world, what I see.

I hope this is already recognised, understood and awaiting polishing. If not, is there anything else I can do to provide evidence? I don't know how to video what I see in-game, don't know what software I might use.

Feralwarlord

Re: Build #139 (win 10, x64): Combat visuals do not match actions

Post by Feralwarlord »

Prester Lewin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:54 pm I don't know how to video what I see in-game, don't know what software I might use.
both Nvidia and AMD have video capture software that is available for you to use (shadowplay for Nvidia and Relive for AMD) and if you are on Intel integrated graphics you can try Windows 10s inbuilt solution or a 3rd party solution like xsplit or obs

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Feralwarlord wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Prester Lewin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:54 pm I don't know how to video what I see in-game, don't know what software I might use.
both Nvidia and AMD have video capture software that is available for you to use (shadowplay for Nvidia and Relive for AMD) and if you are on Intel integrated graphics you can try Windows 10s inbuilt solution or a 3rd party solution like xsplit or obs
Thanks, I'll explore those options.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Allofich has spent considerable time matching animations to attacks. I'll leave this for him to provide feedback when he can.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Bang! Instantly, just as my tanto starts to move, I take a hit. If it's a ghost, I'm instantly paralysed (yes, I know that resistance to paralysis isn't implemented yet, that's not the problem I'm describing). The enemy is still motionless and looking off to the side, so it's not clear how it could physically get a touch attack in. Then, slowly, it turns to face me...
I haven't seen this happen. (BTW, resistance to paralysis is in the newest code and should be in the next release). Enemies don't cast touch spells unless they can see you, including you being in their FOV, so they shouldn't cast when looking to the side.

Ghosts and wraiths have a bit of weirdness with their graphics with sideways direction being out of order compared to with other enemies, which could make them look like they were facing the wrong direction, but I fixed that not too long ago and I think that's not an issue in the last build or two.

Maybe another build vs. editor issue? I pretty much only test from the editor.

Video or reproduction steps would be good.

pango

Post by pango »

The only weirdness I noticed is that enemies do not need to be facing you for their attacks to hit, but it's not clear whether this is the issue Prester Lewin wanted to report...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

The issue pango reported is fixed, so I consider this one resolved.