Build#139(x64): Possibly Broken "Order of Raven" Knight quest [UNREPRODUCIBLE]

MoloMowChow

Build#139(x64): Possibly Broken "Order of Raven" Knight quest [UNREPRODUCIBLE]

Post by MoloMowChow »

I undertook my first Knight quest from Deerwood for the Order of the Ravens. They wanted me to go to a dungeon to kill a Nightblade. Nothing seemed wrong with the quest log the first time I read it, so I proceeded to travel to the dungeon.

It was a bandit hideout and I ended up seeing the Nightblade while I was resting, so he ended up coming to me instead of me finding him, and near the entrance too. I don't know if it's normal or possible for quest mobs to spawn as a resting ambush or not, but maybe someone more experienced knows.
I promptly dispatched him and decided to explore the rest of the dungeon. He was the only Nightblade I ever ran into in the dungeon. Everything else was rats, bats and occasionally skeletons but only when I rested, along with various bandits.

When I eventually decided to stop and leave, I checked my quest log again and noticed the NPC giver's name had, at some point glitched out. I thought it was just a visual error, until I tried reporting to the Order of the Raven NPC in Deerwood, but he wouldn't talk to me. It was as if I didn't clear the quest at all. This may be a case of a broken quest.

I will attach a screenshot of the garbled quest log and attach the save file of my character while still inside the specified dungeon with most of it cleared out, just incase i somehow happened to miss a 2nd Nightblade or something. If you want to try and turn in the quest, just head to the city Deerwood and enter the Order of the Raven building to try and turn it in to the NPC that allows you to join in the first place. He won't speak.

screenshot
screenshot
brokequest.png (135.71 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

I might try leaving the dungeon and reentering to reset it just to see if that works and respawns the nightblade, but this still seems to be a bug either way, whether minor or major.

SAVE2.zip
(150.91 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Interkarma

Re: Build#139(x64): Possibly Broken "Order of Raven" Knight quest

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for report, and for providing a save game to repro. I'll take a look at this when I can. :)

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

I can confirm the problem exists running on the latest master branch (commit f1ee011). I was wondering if maybe the quest-giver not talking was the IndexOutOfRangeException fixed recently in master for talking to guild NPCs, but it's not. He doesn't talk but there's no exception happening, so that's unrelated.

MoloMowChow

Post by MoloMowChow »

After discovering Daggerfall Unity's console commands, I decided to try and see if i could solve the problem with cheats.

While using the same Save with me still in the dungeon, I typed the command to teleport straight to my quest objective. It actually sent me straight to the actual Nightblade I needed to kill, indicated by a quest message when I killed it. So the Nightblade that ambushed me while resting was unrelated.
The problem was that the quest target spawned in some completely detached rooms with no teleports or secret doors to attach it to the rest of the dungeon. So it seems I wouldn't have been able to reach the target normally without cheats?

Doing a map reveallall showed many little pockets of detached dungeon rooms and hallways. Is that normal in Classic Daggerfall?

After killing the Nightblade, I was able to turn in the quest as normal.

So it seems like it's actually 2 bugs rather unrelated to each other. I still don't know why the quest log bugged out tho for the Quest Giver's name.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I can't reproduce the macro replacement not being able to find the source data - it works fine for that quest for Order of Reven when ever I try it. If you find it still happens for you, could you post steps to reproduce?

Otherwise there's no bugs we can fix in this report.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods