Build#140(x64): Dungeon Stairs of Tumbling Death [NOT A BUG}

MoloMowChow

Build#140(x64): Dungeon Stairs of Tumbling Death [NOT A BUG}

Post by MoloMowChow »

In a dungeon, I ran into a particular set of nasty stairs that, with each step, injures you. As if you were falling up and down these stairs. Uncontrollably.
Curiously, standing still on these steps will keep you safe.

One need only to jump or levitate over them. Heck, there's a side path right beside of it that takes you up to the exact same places it leads to (a coincidence I'm sure). But whether walking, sneaking, jumping or crouching, any attempt to move onto these steps will injure you.

As effective and devious of a dungeon trap as this may be, something tells me that this isn't intentional as there's nothing visually that sets this apart of the hundred of other dungeon stairs I've stepped on throughout Daggerfall.
Or maybe it is intentional, who knows? Here's a video and a save file in front of the steps to come to your own conclusions on.
SAVE11.zip
(170.39 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Last edited by MoloMowChow on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: Build#140(x64): Dungeon Stairs of Tumbling Death

Post by pango »

I think this is intentional, at very least it matches classic Daggerfall behavior.
Some teleporters instakill you, dungeons can be unfair like that.

When you know those stairs, you take the hidden passage instead.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MoloMowChow

Re: Build#140(x64): Dungeon Stairs of Tumbling Death

Post by MoloMowChow »

Oh, and here i was making a big deal out of it. How embarrassing :oops:

It just didn't cross my mind that this was legit, since every other trap in Daggerfall I've encountered so far has made me go "Oh! A trap!" while these stairs look like every other stairs in the dungeon room.
I mean, I guess tha's what makes it an effective trap, but you'd think it'd make a different sound effect or something?

But if it's intentional then I guess that's that, and we can mark is resolved.