Quest a0c00y11 - sick NPC has wrong/different name [RESOLVED]

theJF

Quest a0c00y11 - sick NPC has wrong/different name [RESOLVED]

Post by theJF »

Version: 0.7.2
64 bit

This is the side-quest "the cure". The sick NPC that you are sent to talk to shows a different name than you are told by the quest giver when examined with the info cursor. Talking to them still continues the quest so, as long as you can find the next NPC with the talisman, the quest can still be completed OK.

Although only cosmetic it does at least seem consistent. As I write this I realise I should have checked the quest log (doh!) Next time, I promise!

Interkarma

Re: Quest a0c00y11 - sick NPC has wrong/different name

Post by Interkarma »

Confirmed. Virtual NPCs injected into world as flats aren't using same display name as quest resource they belong to. Will fix this when I can.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I got another bug with this quest, however it may also be in classic. When you're looking for the healer, you can't ask town people for her/him, people menu remains empty. If you know the quest, you know the healer is in an Alchemist store, but that's the only clue you can have...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't believe this quest exposes the healer NPC position to talk system. This is likely intentional, as most towns will only have a single Alchemist and it shouldn't be too hard to find by asking about the store instead.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Actullay the store is not given so people who never did this quest have to check every building.

The problem may be DFU related as from the UESP:

Code: Select all

If you ask an NPC about the healer, you may hear:

"They say (healer's name) specializes in the most obscure diseases."
"(Healer's name)? Lives in (healer's town), I believe."
I have attached my save.
SAVE1.7z
(101.49 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I managed to test the quest in classic, the healer was correctly listed as a topic in "Person" and in "Tell me about".

After digging into DFU code, I'm pretty sure the problem comes from the disabling of the flag "availableForDialog" for linked resource types (in TalkManager.cs, line 1823). For this particular quest, the healer is linked to the resource "talisman", though I'm not sure what it means exactly.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Will take a look (but i think it works as intended since vanilla is bugged regarding dialog link as far as i remember)

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I got the problem, it is actually a bug from DFU. A resource has to be removed from the dialog pick list only if not linked to another resource.

From Tipton documentation:
Note that creating a dialog link with just one quest resource in it has the property of removing that resource from the dialog pick list when the resource has an anyInfo tag, rumors tag, or used tag.
In A0C00Y11, the link is between the healer and the talisman, as the quest was probably supposed to add information about the talisman once the player had met the healer. But as there is no message containing both resources, the talisman will never appear in dialog topics. However, the healer should remain.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I already discussed with Interkarma about this: I am 100% sure it is a bug in vanilla how it is implemented (originally I though Tipton is wrong about this but it turns out vanilla latest patch version seems to incorrectly reveal dialog linked resources (I think they patched it so that some broken quests could be finished correctly - but the correct way would have been to fix the quests)).

Let me explain how I think this quest should work and why dfunity's current implementation is correct:

The quest starts with:

<ce>                         Thank you, thank you!
<ce>                          My name is _giver_.
<ce>                I recently received word that my cousin
<ce>                         _cousin_ of ___cousin_
<ce>                is deathly ill and will probably die in
<ce>                =questtime_ days! Whatever you can do to
<ce>                 cure %g2 will be greatly appreciated.
<ce>                  Here is _gold1_ gold. I will pay you
<ce>                 _gold2_ gold more if you can heal %g2.
So PC does not learn anything about healer!!!! Why should he know the name of the healer right from the start and be able to ask about him/her? He shouldn't yeah!

so then how should it work (if there is not really a bug somewhere):
ask about the cousin (this one should be availble in the tell me about section). One of the answers of the anyInfo and anyRumors messages of associated message (and only one - YEAH HARD QUEST) let you learn about the healer - the 5th message is the correct:

<ce>               I heard about %g3 disease. So far none of
<ce>                  the local healers has found a cure.
                                     <--->
<ce>                I did hear something of %g2. Something
<ce>             about a mysterious, fatal illness.  Very sad.
                                     <--->
<ce>              Yes, I know the story.  Sounds like Wizard
<ce>                              Bane to me.
                                     <--->
<ce>                No one knows what's wrong with %g2, but
<ce>                   they say %g has only days to live.
                                     <--->
<ce>             A most unfortunate case.  No one knows what's
<ce>             wrong with %g2.  You might try a healer named
<ce>                    _healer_, who is said to have an
<ce>              encyclopedic knowledge of obscure diseases.
                                     <--->
<ce>               Oh, yes, the one with the wasting fever.
after hearing this answer (once you learned the healers name - see screenshot of prove after learning the healers name) you can ask about the healer both in the tell me about section (learn the town where she lives in) as well as in the where is section (IF AND ONLY IF pc is in the same town healer is located in).
Then you can complete the quest...
Ferital wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:34 am In A0C00Y11, the link is between the healer and the talisman, as the quest was probably supposed to add information about the talisman once the player had met the healer. But as there is no message containing both resources, the talisman will never appear in dialog topics. However, the healer should remain.
edit: you are right talisman does not have any anyInfo or rumors attached to it - so it can't show up as talk option, does not affect healer at all

here the screenshot to prove that it works (where you learn the remote location of the healer after learning the healers name):

after travelling to mercastle you can ask there about her to learn the building she is in:

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Sorry, I think I was not clear. I'm not telling healer name should appear right from the start of the quest, but that it should appear after talking to the cousin. In classic, it does, but not in DFU.