0.7.65: Spells have difficult collision [RESOLVED]

Jay_H

0.7.65: Spells have difficult collision [RESOLVED]

Post by Jay_H »

This video shows some difficulty with attack spells against enemies. It's a 50 point instant nuke on touch, so the problem shouldn't be that they're simple outliving it. I've tried using range spells also, and had similar difficulty hitting enemies.

Interkarma

Re: 0.7.65: Spells have difficult collision

Post by Interkarma »

Do you mean touch spells, specifically?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Touch and Around Caster appear to be problematic, the first more than the second. Range occasionally fails to do damage, but I think it's related to known problems with one texture covering another. It's an inconsistent problem; I just tried Around Caster to kill a bear, and it took 7 castings at immediate range before it died.

Touch is still the most difficult so far.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Jay. :) I'll work on this soon. I might not get a chance before this weekend's builds though.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I have now fixed multiple issues with touch collision and saving throws that resulted in Destruction magic feeling weak. Here's a summary:
  • Slightly increased range of touch spells
  • Slightly increased radius of area around target and area around caster spells
  • Touch spells now use a sphere collider like weapons for easier aiming and more reliable contact
  • Fixed bug where touch spells can collide with own missile object, resulting in a miss
  • Fixed bug where touching caster and target colliders would result in a miss for touch spells
  • Fixed bug where magnitude spells allowed two saving throws, resulting in damage sometimes being bypassed when not intended
  • Player can now only release touch spells when a valid target is in range, like classic
  • Reviewed damage mitigation prorate matches Daggerfall Chronicles and found prorate works as expected
I wasn't able to reproduce any issues with collisons using either area around target or area around caster effects. These use a very basic overlapped sphere check and were reliable in all cases tested (unlike touch which had multiple problems). I feel that AOE spells were only being impacted by the multiple saving throw issue also fixed in this pass.

Overall, spellcasters should feel more powerful with these fixes. But please keep in mind that low-level spellcasters are still relatively weak in Daggerfall. A low damage roll combined with a decent saving throw can still mitigate damage to 0. This becomes less as character increases in level and have more damaging spells.