Possible bugs with CIF extraction [RESOLVED]

chtujo

Possible bugs with CIF extraction [RESOLVED]

Post by chtujo »

I only have a Linux machine to test this on, so I can't test this in classic. That's why I'm asking here to see if people have the same issue.

I'm using Linux build 151 of the game, which is the second to latest as of posting. This is because last time I checked the Linux builds hadn't been updated, though I think the Windows ones have.

I use the "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from the live builds page for my installation.
I extracted the animation from a Daggerfall Setup installation IIRC.

I have noticed the attack animations can have graphical issues.
Daggerfall Unity:
test.jpg
test.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Sorry for the differing background
Daggerfall Unity with textures I extracted from a Daggerfall Setup (IIRC) install, from when I was still on Windows:
with replacement.jpg
with replacement.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 1455 times

Although I don't really know what I'm talking about, my best guess is the palette has been "shuffled" along by one. I think this also affects other weapons, but I haven't tested thoroughly. I've put it here in the help and support in case it's just an issue with my game files.

pango

Re: Possible bugs with CIF extraction

Post by pango »

Hi CHAPPJO,
I just checked and I'm seeing this too.
git bisect points at commit 4aad4a61 ("Match armor dye colors to classic").
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

pango wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:17 am Hi CHAPPJO,
I just checked and I'm seeing this too.
git bisect points at commit 4aad4a61 ("Match armor dye colors to classic").
Sorry to ask, but does the last line more or less say 'I reported this bug on github'?

PS I've also seen some weird stuff with some menus too, but I was going to report that later. An example being a few transparent pixels (around some of the text) on the one that pops up when you click escape during normal gameplay.

On dark background:
menu1.png
menu1.png (47.93 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
On light background:
menu2.png
menu2.png (95.03 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Sorry about only reporting this now.

Edit:
Here's a GIF to show the problem better:
menus.gif
menus.gif (246.33 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

pango

Post by pango »

CHAPPJO wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:19 am Sorry to ask, but does the last line more or less say 'I reported this bug on github'?
No, it just identifies the code change after which one that color modification appears:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 5cfc37ff54
Not understanding very well how it works, I can't tell whether it's a bug (say, modded resources should be excluded), or something to be taken into account when creating 2d textures...
CHAPPJO wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:19 am PS I've also seen some weird stuff with some menus too, but I was going to report that later. An example being a few transparent pixels (around some of the text) on the one that pops up when you click escape during normal gameplay.
Good spotting! It's often hard to see. I found it slightly more obvious around the N of SOUND...
I can't date that problem as easily, it already happens with the oldest commit I can easily compile and check (16485a21). So it may have been around for a long time...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ive seen transparent pixels when Ive modded some menu tabs as well. I thought it was the same in vanilla tho.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

First problem isn't related to image extraction, it's just a bug in palette swaps. If this diverged after Allofich's PR, I'll ping him next time I'm in front of git so he can take a look. Otherwise, I'll fix when I can. Thanks for letting me know. :)

The pause menu just needs a black background colour set for panel. I've noticed this too, just haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Resolved issue in first post. Dyes were being run for MetalTypes.None (e.g. fists) when it should not be.

The pause menu also has a black background now. Will move this to resolved.