[NYSTUL] Win_x64_0.7.91: Map orientation incorrect for Orsinium Area: Orsinium [RESOLVED]

SlainByWoodborne

[NYSTUL] Win_x64_0.7.91: Map orientation incorrect for Orsinium Area: Orsinium [RESOLVED]

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

The town map orientation is orthogonal to the character's perspective which makes it appear as if buildings should not be where they are located.
Attachments
Map_orientation_incorrect_SAVE41.7z
(238.1 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

pango

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Map orientation incorrect for Orsinium Area: Orsinium

Post by pango »

I'm not sure what you mean by orthogonal; I think the map orientation is correct, but I agree it seems shifted to the west (by one town block?)
view.jpg
view.jpg (160.14 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
map.jpg
map.jpg (249.01 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

How odd. When I was looking at it, there was a rotation of 90 degrees. When I loaded my save, it shows as your image. I know this makes me sound like a crazy person. I'll be mindful to see if another example presents itself.

pango

Post by pango »

By the way in classic the map is not available in Orsinium ("Automap not available here.")

Given it doesn't show up on the map until revealed by the main quest, I suspect it's considered a dungeon rather than a town in game data. It may very well be a special case in Daggerfall Unity, and the source of specific bugs.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

The map for Direnni Tower in Isle of Balfiera is shifted as well.

pango

Post by pango »

... and Scourg Barrow, and Shedungent... and maybe others I didn't test
So it's not specific to Orsinium anymore. And I tested with 0.5.541 and the problem is already present, it's interesting how it went below the radar for so long...
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Some single-block exteriors (1x1 blocks with CUST prefix) are not centred to terrain area like other blocks. They need an adjustment in world space so they align with world coordinates correctly when compared with classic. I'd say the exterior automap isn't taking this into account. I've never noticed this issue in automap either. :)

For Nystul: check out the code in TerrainHelper.GetLocationTerrainTileOrigin(). This shows how block is shifted at time of world generation. The adjustment is done in terrain tile coordinates here. I'd say this is behind the problem.

Interkarma

Re: [NYSTUL] Win_x64_0.7.91: Map orientation incorrect for Orsinium Area: Orsinium

Post by Interkarma »

This one is in Nystul's wheelhouse. My post just above has some relevant info. I'm available to help if needed.

Nystul

Re: [NYSTUL] Win_x64_0.7.91: Map orientation incorrect for Orsinium Area: Orsinium

Post by Nystul »

I use BlocksFile.GetBlockAutomap to generate the texture containing the buildings and RMBLayout.GetLocationBuildingData to determine the corresponding nameplate positions.

From a design point I would rather like to change those methods returning the corrected values instead of making the automap handle those special cases by itself.
Reason is: also other components/systems also get this (wrong) info if they rely on those functions.

If it is ok Interkarma, I will try to change those functions - but let me know if you don't want me to touch those

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Sure, send me a PR and we'll work through it. :)