Win_x64_0.7.91: Gate sound plays [MATCHES CLASSIC]

SlainByWoodborne

Win_x64_0.7.91: Gate sound plays [MATCHES CLASSIC]

Post by SlainByWoodborne »

This gate has a stretched stone texture. Should this be wood texture instead?

Edit: I thought I'd seen something about this before. I found it here. Is that the preferred place for stretched textures?

Edit 2: I've noticed that if you cross the threshold of the gate area, a noise plays as if the gate is being raised or lowered but no gate drops or raises.
Attachments
Stretched_stone_texture_01_SAVE48.7z
(216.03 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by SlainByWoodborne on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Stretched texture

Post by pango »

Yes, this is a recurring issue (as it is game-data related), and the best place to report them is in the forum thread you linked
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

Thanks, pango. I've edited my original post and I've made a post in that thread concerning the stretched texture.

Any idea about the weird noises when crossing the threshold of the gate?

pango

Post by pango »

SlainByWoodborne wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm Any idea about the weird noises when crossing the threshold of the gate?
The very same thing happens in classic. Maybe it triggers something, somewhere, I don't know how to investigate game data deeper; But in any case that matches classic.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

Re: Win_x64_0.7.91: Gate sound plays [MATCHES CLASSIC]

I don't have a good reference for it but I only post here when something seems out of place or inconsistent. For instance, I don't recall hearing this sound when traversing the threshold of a raised gate in other dungeons. Likewise, when I posted about the hidden door textures not being different from surrounding textures. Given the expanse of the game and that many features were never implemented or never fully implemented, these may actually be bugs that were never addressed in classic. So, although DFU matches classic, these may yet be bugs.

pango

Post by pango »

You're perfectly right that if the only rule is to match classic then you end up copying bugs too, so that can't be a hard rule.

Good or bad, it's not uncommon for Daggerfall to give no clue about what you just triggered (say, with levers) or if you triggered something at all (example that comes to my mind is the "who guards the way" riddle: you don't immediately get the slightest clue whether you answered right), so maybe it works as "intended".
What I was saying is just that I personally don't know how to tell what crossing that threshold is supposed to do, and whether it achieves that; hopefully somebody that knows better how those triggers work can investigate deeper.

After more thinking, here's my best hypothesis: Orsinium is a main quest dungeon, it's not unlikely they used unique mechanics in it.
I suspect that under the right conditions, that gate closes itself as you approach or as you depart from it. The bug is that the sound shouldn't play when the conditions are not met and the gate doesn't move.
-- Charles Goodhart

SlainByWoodborne

There's a level at the top (or end, depending on your terminology) of the branch beyond that gate that didn't appear to do anything when I flipped it. Having a mechanism to investigate the effects switches within a dungeon would be pretty useful.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm You're perfectly right that if the only rule is to match classic then you end up copying bugs too, so that can't be a hard rule.
My rule of thumb is that I'm after Daggerfall Unity bugs specifically. There are legions of issues with classic's game data that we inherit the moment our players connect with their copy of the files. Each of these problems require different approaches to correct and fixing them isn't always within scope at this stage.

That's not to say I don't want to see game-data issues fixed someday, just that game-data problems don't necessarily indicate a problem with Daggerfall Unity. To the contrary, if something behaves identically in both Daggerfall Unity and classic Daggerfall, that means Daggerfall Unity is working perfectly - even if that outcome seems strange or inconsistent.

If it's something that falls into our domain, it will get fixed eventually. And often we find workarounds for problems in game data anyway (Ferital's live patching of UV coordinates comes to mind). But I know how to pick my battles and until we have explicit permission to create a full distribution of the game, game-data issues are outside of our domain for now.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

SlainByWoodborne wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 pm There's a level at the top (or end, depending on your terminology) of the branch beyond that gate that didn't appear to do anything when I flipped it. Having a mechanism to investigate the effects switches within a dungeon would be pretty useful.
If you play Daggerfall Unity from within the Unity Editor, you can pause game and switch back to Scene view to investigate action record linkages (if any). I'll check out this one when I can to see what it's actually doing.

SlainByWoodborne

Is there a guide to playing it inside the editor? Where do I get the editor? Are there any special dependencies for it?