0.8.6 Win10 - Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work" After A Job Was taken by Someone Else(new info) [RESOLVED]

Teralitha

0.8.6 Win10 - Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work" After A Job Was taken by Someone Else(new info) [RESOLVED]

Post by Teralitha »

When you select "work" as a topic and click "okay", nothing happens for several NPC's I try it on. Seems kinda hit and miss. like half will answer you and others dont have any response, as though you dont exist. Im not sure if this is an intended feature in DFU or a bug. Usually they would respond to a work query in the affirmative or negative.
Last edited by Teralitha on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work"

Post by Interkarma »

You should get a response of some kind. Might be a regression after recent changes to talk system. I'll take a closer look when I can.

Teralitha

Re: Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work"

Post by Teralitha »

Ive had this happen again. It seems to occur after talking to an NPC that you heard about offering a job, but when you find that npc and try to ask about the job and they say they already gave the job to someone else. Following that, it seems thats when several other npcs stop responding to work queries. Perhaps its because they would otherwise have mentioned work available but it gets bugged. The only few npcs I find that answer after that, are the ones that dont care about the question, rather than those who might answer that they know of work, or not.

It affects all such NPCs in that whole entire town. If I travel to another town/village etc. Its back to normal. If I leave and return to the bugged town, it goes back to normal, so at least you can work around it.

Here is the save game in the bugged town if that helps - http://www.filedropper.com/save0

pango

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work" After A Job Was taken by Someone Else(new info)

Post by pango »

I reproduced the problem with your save, commoners lead me to a first job giver that told me her problem resolved itself; When I asked again for a job, she lead me to a merchant, that offered a quest this time, but when I accepted, he suddently became quiet.

Log extracts:

Code: Select all

Parsing quest JHIM010.txt
[JHIM010] Generated Home for Person _qg_ [Carolorya Kingwing] at 'Betony/Whitefort' in building 'Lord Agrastyr's Gear'
Created NPC Carolorya Kingwing with FactionID #0.
Parsing quest JHIM010.txt FAILED!
Could not find local site for _dummy_home_ with P2=-1 in Betony/Whitefort.

Parsing quest K0C00Y03.txt
[K0C00Y03] Generated Home for Person _qgiver_ [Rodyval Moorham] at 'Betony/Whitefort' in building 'Lord Trististair's Retail Store'
Created NPC Rodyval Moorham with FactionID #510.
[K0C00Y03] Generated Home for Person _contact_ [Alabyval Moorston] at 'Betony/Kirkhead Rock' in building 'The Lucky Castle'
Created NPC Alabyval Moorston with FactionID #510.
[K0C00Y03] Generated Home for Person _contact2_ [Morgyna Hawkston] at 'Betony/The Howling Griffin Hostel' in building 'The Red Dog'
Created NPC Morgyna Hawkston with FactionID #510.
Offering quest K0C00Y03 from Social group Merchants affecting factionId 510
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.AssembleTopicListPerson () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.AssembleTopicLists (Boolean isInstantRebuild) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.AddDialogForQuestInfoResource (UInt64 questID, System.String resourceName, QuestInfoResourceType resourceType, Boolean instantRebuildTopicLists) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.QuestMacroHelper.ExpandQuestMessage (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Questing.Quest parentQuest, .Token[]& tokens, Boolean revealDialogLinks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Questing.Message.GetTextTokens (Int32 variant, Boolean expandMacros) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallQuestPopupWindow.ShowQuestPopupMessage (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Questing.Quest quest, Int32 id, Boolean exitOnClose) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallQuestPopupWindow.OfferQuest_OnButtonClick (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallMessageBox sender, MessageBoxButtons messageBoxButton) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallMessageBox.RaiseOnButtonClickEvent (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallMessageBox sender, MessageBoxButtons messageBoxButton) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallMessageBox.ButtonClickHandler (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.BaseScreenComponent sender, Vector2 position) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.BaseScreenComponent/OnMouseClickHandler:invoke_void__this___BaseScreenComponent_Vector2 (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.BaseScreenComponent,UnityEngine.Vector2)
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.BaseScreenComponent.MouseClick (Vector2 clickPosition) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.BaseScreenComponent.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.Panel.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.Button.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.Panel.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallBaseWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallMessageBox.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log attached.
Attachments
Player.log.zip
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Re: 0.8.6 Win10 - Several NPCs Wont Discuss "Work" After A Job Was taken by Someone Else(new info)

Post by Teralitha »

My save game will likely be corrupted throughout. Its better if the bug is reproduced in a completely different client and save. Then we know for sure its a reproducible bug. You should try to duplicate the problem in your own save game.

pango

Post by pango »

Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm My save game will likely be corrupted throughout.
Mmmh probably not, if everything goes back to normal when you travel to the next town, then I assume the save should be okay. Daggerfall Unity need some bug fixes so it doesn't happen again though.

My understand from reading the log (I didn't check the code), is that the first quest, aborted halfway during initialization, must have corrupted the list of NPCs available in dialogs with broken/missing NPCs, so dialogs stop working correctly until those are cleared from the list. I guess changing town does the latter.

Why the first quest couldn't initialize correctly is another matter, but it can happen for legitimate reasons, so that may not be a second bug at that point.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thankyou Pango. I'll drill into this one when I can. Will try to resolve ahead of this month's builds.

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

Is this still relevant?
And if so, can we get a fresh save, attached to the post. The listed link is no longer functional.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Can confirm this one is partially related to being unable to stage quests. The recent changes to marker selection will improve this.

I wasn't able to reproduce the no response side of this report. Maybe something else already fixed in live code?