[0.8.6] Local quest is not limited to local [RESOLVED]

jayhova

[0.8.6] Local quest is not limited to local [RESOLVED]

Post by jayhova »

I have a quest where a shop keep wants me to stand in for him in a duel. The problem is that part of this multi-part quest is not local even though it clearly is intended to be. Due to the fact that you must change cities the quest in not completable within the allotted time.
Attachments
SAVE50.zip
(340.84 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Re: Local quest is not limited to local

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for report. It is missing build number and quest name, although the latter can be derived from save.

This might also have been corrected in live code with Jay's quest fixes. I'll move this to Help & Support for Jay to process.

Jay_H

Re: Local quest is not limited to local (k0c00y04)

Post by Jay_H »

Two Cowards, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Two_Cowards, K0C00Y04.

I didn't alter how this works. I posted on github about how an engine-side fix for "Local_#" and "Group_#" is looking complicated. If it's preferred, I can just do a uniform "place npc at" thing when the quest is misplacing assets.

This is how QBN looks:

Code: Select all

Item _gold_ gold
Item _dueler_ letter used 1011
Item _lovgold_ gold

Person _qgiver_ group Questor male
Person _lover_ group Group_7.0 male
Person _competitor_ group Group_7.1 male

Place _arena_ local house2

Clock _queston_ 3.01:20 5.23:20

Foe _duelist_ is Spellsword
The quest allows you to speak to lover or competitor to resolve it, and both would need local places if we did a "place npc" solution.

Interkarma

Re: [0.8.6] Local quest is not limited to local (k0c00y04)

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay. I'll move this one into questing bugs for now. If any other reports popup related to this same quest engine issue, they can be merged with this one. I'll see what I can do about this during future refinement passes.

BansheeXYZ

Re: [0.8.6] Local quest is not limited to local

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Can anyone explain in layman's terms why it's believed that Local_## controls the place an npc is spawned? I'm not seeing how. At first glance, it just looks like QBN Person is followed by a series of values for face graphic, billboard graphic, faction, and gender. They generally seem incomplete and sloppy and I haven't seen much evidence in classic that they're even used.

For example, I just did A0C00Y12 which defines the informant as "face 241 group Cleric". I go to meet them at a tavern and it's a woman in an apron.

B0B20Y07 has "Person _local_ face 1 group Resident2", but this person isn't referenced anywhere in the QRC, so why would they need a face or billboard type?

Furthermore, why do Questors usually get defined as male on these lines? A0C00Y08 could be given out by anyone, not just males, but we get "Person _questgiver_ group Questor male" in the QBN. Were the devs originally intending to make some quest offers only come from men, and others only come from women?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The forced male gender is, I think, an oversight by the originals. In classic nearly all quest offers came from innkeepers and merchants, who were men. You'd rarely get quests from the Br'itsas of the world but they were the only females who offered quests. If I remember correctly, tavern patrons and residence dwellers almost never gave quests out in classic, so 99% of the time it would be a man.

I was about to write about the local/remote thing, but I'd probably better say nothing. I'm not nearly informed enough yet :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

EDIT: I made a mistake here that should be ignored.
Last edited by Jay_H on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:35 am Thanks for report. It is missing build number and quest name, although the latter can be derived from save.

This might also have been corrected in live code with Jay's quest fixes. I'll move this to Help & Support for Jay to process.
My current build number is below in the signature as well as the OS.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, but in 3 months you'll be using a different build, while the bug report stays as it is.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jayhova wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm My current build number is below in the signature as well as the OS.
I can't see your signature from the list of bugs in topic review. And as Jay mentions, the report is tied to the version number the bug is first reported in, not the version you happen to be using right now. In future, please always put your version number in the topic title, or your report will be moved straight back out of bug reports until this information is in the correct place. From Bug Report Guidelines:
Let us know which platform and build you are using in topic title. The Live Builds page lists builds by platform, version, and build date. Telling me "Windows x64 0.7.146" informs me exactly the build you're using. Please don't say "latest build" or similar, we need to know the exact version you're running. Reports that don't mention their version number will moved out of bug reports.