0.10.4 Unhelpful and unfriendly NPCs [RESOLVED]

Jay_H

Re: NPC's wont tell me anything

Post by Jay_H »

That appears to be working properly. Asking about people is intended to be far more difficult than buildings: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2145&start=20#p25430

pango

Post by pango »

Thanks!

But should it be harder as in people are more likely to tell you to f... off or as in people are more likely to not know? I don't know how the TalkManager works, but I feel that it could be a real issue
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I think either DFU is missing something still, or it fixed a bug in classic that is adversely affecting gameplay.

Just a guess: Is it possible that classic NPCs spawn with a range of reaction bonuses, which offsets the -10 penalty and keeps it positive for chars with 0 starting rep? That might explain why in DFU, the -10 adjustment is causing the penalties themselves to almost always be the reaction for 0 rep players. I also noticed that NPCs keep their reaction for this question.

Classic: 41 PER and 0 commoner rep

negative fail (x3)
positive fail (x2)
positive success (x8)

DFU: 41 PER and 0 commoner rep

negative fail (x7)

Something else worth noting about classic: when I ask for directions to a store (not a quest person), I can get different reactions from the same person if I close the talk window and ask again. See: 30second mark, I get a negative fail in a sea of positive successes

btw, here's the saves in case you want to verify my results
dfuSAVE7.zip
(187.18 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
classicSAVE4.zip
(44.85 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for all the details and feedback everyone! Definitely still some tuning needed here.

Ferital is currently the one most involved with this system now. He's taking a short break, but I'm sure he'll take a look when he returns.

I think we have enough info now to move this into bug reports for tracking.

Ferital

Re: 0.10.4 Unhelpful and unfriendly NPCs

Post by Ferital »

Just to mention this should be fixed in next DFU version. To quote what I said on the PR:
This restores random seed based on current NPC guid so each NPC in the same town will now react differently as this was already the case before PR #1370.

I also lowered the difficulty level required to get a successful answer when asking for people location with low personality characters, balancing this change by also lowering the bonus given to find a location (+5 instead of +10). Still, it's much more difficult than classic to find people, where we nearly always get a successful answer even with a very low personality, because of an incorrectly applied modifier (classic seems to always apply +10, regardless of the kind of question).

As with my previous PR #1370, Streetwise and Etiquette are more useful than in classic where one would always use Normal tone since it almost always gives better results. As an example, in DFU, I managed to get a positive answer from the same NPC by switching from Normal to Blunt tone (NPC was a commoner, for a Noble I would have used Etiquette of course).

And as requested on the forums (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2404), tone now remains checked as it was during the last talk session.

Interkarma

Re: 0.10.4 Unhelpful and unfriendly NPCs

Post by Interkarma »

I have merged Ferital's changes and this problem seems resolved.

If NPCs are unhelpful and hostile at this point, I think it's legitimately going to be from poor reputation or personality. That is something for the player to work-around or roleplay as preferred.

Closing this one.