0.10.7 - Wrong residence name [RESOLVED]

Yagiza

Re: Wrong residence name

Post by Yagiza »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 pm Your quest has a few issues. First of all, remove "create npc" from the mix below. It doesn't do what you think, and you don't need to use it here. All you need to use is "place npc".
create npc at _residence_
place npc _resident_ at _residence_
Yes, we discussed it already and came to agreement, that create npc at does nothing, reserving some resources, which will be reserved by place npc or place item or place foe anyway. So, I wonder, how it can affect anything in quest engine?
Second, clicking the questor after accepting the quest will end the quest immediately. You'll need some additional victory/failure checks to prevent this from happening.
I don't see any problem with it in a test quest. We can start the quest an immediately finish it with failure by clicking a quest giver, or finish it successfuly, by finding an NPC and then clicking a quest giver. So, what's the problem?

NoobioDF

Re: 0.10.7 - Wrong residence name

Post by NoobioDF »

I had a similar thing happen in 2 quests so far in 10.7. I also have DREAM and I have DFU Quest Pack #1. Plus the Enhanced Objects, I forget its exact name, but very common download.

Anyway, in my most memorable one, I remember this much. The Quest Giver only mentioned to talk to 2 NPCs, to find out where a certain lady was who had not returned home. The People list on local passersby had 3 NPCs listed, not including the Quest Giver. That's odd already, as it suggests that all the key NPCs to a quest may be already known to locales and being set before I even advance the quest.

Anyway, the Locations list mentioned 3 Buildings, which was also odd, since I should only know of 2 NPCs to ask, so 2 buildings.

Ended up that one of those buildings had another NPC who knew of the quest but was not guilty. 2 of the 3 People NPCs were in one building.

-----

One of the things I noticed is that the names of Residences like Wicking or Wickham etc seem to be spawned by the Quests. After you are done with the quest, the name on the building is gone from the town map. One of the things I had been doing also beforehand, as I got tired of talking to the locales and being despised so getting no info, was to just click with info mode on many buildings -- I was hoping to find the various key named buildings having Family Names or whatever on them.

That's when I noticed that the names can change and even move from one building to another. So during a Quest, one building may be called Wickham Residence, but after quest another might be called that. Not sure, but I think the original Wickham is then removed.

But it did seem that some buildings have names on them beforehand, like sometimes Buckingham. But I might have had another quest not yet progressed as well at the time.

So maybe the name for buildings is not being released or corrupted, especially if you have several quests ongoing. The other big issue is that there are lots of very similar names, not just for buildings but for people. Like I had two Theodores to chat with in one quest. While I also had in several quests a Andore this, but in same building of target there was another Andore with a Y in the start of second name, which was not the right person. Same with Buckingham residence, there is another one with a very similar name.

Anyway, hope you have figured out the problem, but I gave up on at least one of these if not both. I'll have to be more careful next time I get one of these and make multiple saves.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

NoobioDF wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:52 pm Anyway, in my most memorable one, I remember this much. The Quest Giver only mentioned to talk to 2 NPCs, to find out where a certain lady was who had not returned home. The People list on local passersby had 3 NPCs listed, not including the Quest Giver. That's odd already, as it suggests that all the key NPCs to a quest may be already known to locales and being set before I even advance the quest.

Anyway, the Locations list mentioned 3 Buildings, which was also odd, since I should only know of 2 NPCs to ask, so 2 buildings.

Ended up that one of those buildings had another NPC who knew of the quest but was not guilty. 2 of the 3 People NPCs were in one building.
As far as I tested the availability of quest resources, it worked for me correctly with the quests I used for tests.

One thing is though that resources are always available from start of quest until quest hides them with "dialog link" command. So maybe the quest you played did not correctly "hide" stuff.

So a quest must hide all resources that should not be available at start of quest (this behavior is intended since many quests are simple and default case is that quest targets should be available for chat from start of quest).

The system should also be clever enough to only make (purposely hidden) buildings available for chat after pc got an answer where the named residence is mentioned by name.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

You can grab a save to reproduce the issue there: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=31833#p31751

To reproduce:
Load the save, travel to the city of Sentinel, ask a wandering NPC for someone named Shernin.
NPC will say he can be found at the Yeomfield Residence, however the residence will not be marked on your map. In another try, the residence was marked as the Coppersley Residence. But once inside, people living there correctly referred to the building as the Yeomfield Residence :?

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

I've seen this happen several times. I can grab a save the next time it happens if you need more info.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma uploaded a fix for this. We'll have to see if it persists in the next build.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to clarify for everyone, I found two issues looking at Yagiza's save:
  1. Using "create npc at" was causing marker corruption that persisted across saves. This is likely down to changes to marker system from when "create npc at" was first implemented over two years ago to now. This action is totally unnecessary in any case and will do nothing in next builds. It's being kept for compile compatibility with legacy TEMPLATE quests only. This one can be considered resolved.
  2. There appears to be a disparity in build name display when asking whereis > person vs whereis > place. Likely one of the systems is returning home place incorrectly when it should be returning place where NPC is currently located. I'll dig into this when I can.
I have irons in a lot of fires at the moment. Have some project work on for my day job, and trying to bootstrap my way into production of next game, all while keeping an eye on Daggerfall Unity bug fixes and progression to beta. Apologies if my attention seems elsewhere frequently, that's because it often is these days. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 am
  1. There appears to be a disparity in build name display when asking whereis > person vs whereis > place. Likely one of the systems is returning home place incorrectly when it should be returning place where NPC is currently located. I'll dig into this when I can.
I will (also) take a look. Disparity is strange. What I could think of is that lastAssignedPlace is null for resource in one of those cases. If so name resolving will fallback to homename

update: as expected it is falling back to home name in those cases... for some reason PlayerGPS.GetAnyBuilding returns just "Residence" not the named residence -> this leads to fallback name resolving to home place name

update2: I think I found the problem (my bad) and will fix this

update3: I fixed the issue and issued a pull request (we could streamline code quite a bit if also questor would correctly have an assignedPlace - currently it does not have and therefor we need special handling for questors at several locations in code...)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the fix Nystul. :)

I'm open to helping streamlining, but I haven't looked at your PR deeply yet. Once I have a better gist of the problem and fix, we can talk further.

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

This thread sounds very similar to the bug I describe in viewtopic.php?p=31849#p31849

1. QuestMachine autogenerates location A for npc.
2. Quest places npc at location B
The QRC texts will reference location B as the home of the npc.
When the TalkManager lets someone tell you about the npc home it will use location A.