Reputation with the Mages Guild dropping to -100 after a quest failure (0.10.7) [RESOLVED 0.10.14]

pango

Reputation with the Mages Guild dropping to -100 after a quest failure (0.10.7) [RESOLVED 0.10.14]

Post by pango »

I reporting an issue I've seen in a stream of DBFig, because it looks like a nasty bug. It may even explain some people with legal reputation dropping to -100 too.

So, some background, DBFig is currently doing quests for the mages guild. First he's being offered a Jay_H quest:
41:45 being offered JHMG001 - so rank with MG >= 0
1:22:45 turning in above quest
So far so good. He takes another quest, this time a classic one:
1:24:04 he's offered N0B10Y03 "Guard the Guild" (so his rank with the mages guild must be >= 1)
1:26:18 enters the mages guild around 22:26
loiters 1 hour, nothing happens. Being not sure whether he should be waiting inside or outside the guild, he exits the guild at 23:28
loiters 1 hour outside, gets attacked by a lycanthrope, and assumes it was the threat
couldn't get back in, loitered for 2 more hours. 3am is over, he heads to a nearby tavern.

But I said the guard was supposed to happen inside the mages guild, so he returns immediately to the guild
1:29:10 tries entering the mages guild by bashing the door with a sword
1:29:27 gets arrested by City Guards at 3:35
pleaded guilty, spent 3 (?) days in prison
legal rep: undependable
1:33:30 can't speak to the mages guild quest giver
1:35:46 Checking affiliations, rep with the mages guild: -100

So, long story short, his reputation with the mages guild went from low ranks to -100 reputation for failing one quest. The worse reputation loss with this quest is -30 if you steal the magic item you're supposed to protect, but he did none of that, is was waiting outside of the guild for the whole duration of the protection duty.
The only thing maybe unusual is that the quest may have expired while he was in prison. Could it be that the standard quest failure loss was executed in a loop while he was in prison?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Re: Reputation with the Mages Guild dropping to -100 after a quest failure (0.10.7)

Post by Ommamar »

That could of been what happened or maybe the fact he got arrested trying to break into the mages guild added to his reputation drop. Probably the only way to now for sure is to set up that scenario in code then step through it checking the reputation value at each point.

Interkarma

Re: Reputation with the Mages Guild dropping to -100 after a quest failure (0.10.7)

Post by Interkarma »

Moving to bug reports. There's a good amount of information here, even though it's not exactly clear what went wrong.

I'm assuming something similar could happen with other guilds also.

pango

Post by pango »

Ommamar wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:44 pm That could of been what happened or maybe the fact he got arrested trying to break into the mages guild added to his reputation drop. Probably the only way to now for sure is to set up that scenario in code then step through it checking the reputation value at each point.
Well, reputation drop for Breaking and Entering is -10, and half that for regional reputation (with propagation). This is consistent with being undependable.
I doubt it'll lower any reputation by -100; And I suspect it would have been detected earlier, because it's not rare to be in prison after a crime.
That can be tested, but that's certainly not my primary hypothesis.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I'll just link my thread about this.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2945&p=33786#p33786

Seems like if you take quest N0B10Y03 (guard the magic item) and do not show up for guard duty, the quest goes into some kind of loop of fail, spamming you with the rep-penalty with no way of finishing or properly failing the quest.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I have identified the issue here. What's happening is the ChangeReputeWith action is able to rearm. When coupled with a rearming task, such as the daily bounty hunter spawn after stealing the item in N0B10Y03, this will tick the reputation loss each time. The opposite is also possible, a rearming task is able to provide uncapped reputation gains.

I have fixed ChangeReputeWith now to not allow rearming. This will fix all cases of this bug. Fix will be in 0.10.14 this weekend.