0.10.11 - Questor name repeated in whereis after accepting quest with quest lists

4nt

0.10.11 - Questor name repeated in whereis after accepting quest with quest lists

Post by 4nt »

I originally thought this issue was only an isolated bug in the Archeologists Guild mod, but i was able to reproduce it in the Temple of Kynareth as well.

To give a brief rundown of what i did in order to produce this bug:
1) I went into the faction building
2) I talked to the quest giver
3) I took one of the quests that he offered
4) I accepted said quest
5) I began talking to NPCs to get an idea of where i can find the person i'm looking for
6) This happens when i click the people section in the "Tell Me About" tab

Its worth noting that the duplicated name pictured above specifically tended to pop up a LOT whenever this bug occurs for some reason (or at least it did when i was trying to reproduce the bug). It wasn't exactly the only name it would happen with, but this name specifically was pretty common when reproducing the bug. Also, this bug doesn't seem to affect quests given at inns. Its just really weird, and I'm hoping this doesn't end up affecting quest givers for the main quest line.

Pressing any of the duplicate names and clicking the "Okay" option proceeds to lock up all other options in the dialog menu except for the following:
  • The Goodbye button
  • The "Tell Me About" tab buttons
  • The Tone checkboxes (polite, normal & blunt)
This affects every NPC once it happens. On top of that, i can't speak to quest givers while this bug is in effect (meaning if i take a quest from a quest giver in, i can't even turn it in later if i somehow manage to even complete the quest without the use of dialog menus).

My character is only level 3 with a reputation of 12 in the Archeologists Guild and a reputation of 5 in the Temple of Kynareth, and I've been trying to grind faction quests recently so i can fast-track my way to level 5 and begin the following quest: https://pt.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Orcish_Treaty . All i specifically remember is that this started happening after i finished a fetch quest in the Archeologists guild and choose another quest to undertake.

I don't know why exactly the dialog menus are bugging out now as opposed to sooner, but I'm also curious if this is just a general Daggerfall bug or a bug with Daggerfall Unity specifically. I thought it was just an issue with my mod at first, but considering its happening in my other guilds/temples as well, I'm having second thoughts about that hypothesis.

The mods I currently have enabled (in case knowing them could help speed up the replication and troubleshooting process) are as follows:
  • Warm Ashes by Kamer
  • Convenient Clock by Uncanny_Valley
  • The Airship Mod by Kaedius
  • Enhanced Sky by Interkarma
  • Mountains and Hills by Uncanny_Valley
  • Real Grass 2 by TheLacus
  • Tedious Travel by jedidia
  • Villager Immersion Overhaul by Kamer
  • Handpainted Models Replacement Project by AlexanderSig
  • Daggerfall Remastered Music Project by ByteMixer
I currently disabled the Archeologists Guild mod from my mod list and don't plan on really diving back into it for a while. It shouldn't be messing with the game still if its currently disabled, so i didn't bother listing it above.

pango

Re: Guild/Temple Quests Bug

Post by pango »

If I remember correctly, it has been identified as a side-effect of the "Guild quest player selection" enhancement option; But I'm not sure whether it was fixed, and if the fix is part of a released version already.
What version of Daggerfall Unity are you using?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've seen this and another variant where under general it lists every single version of house.

So you get somewhere around 30 choices of

Mastersly Residensce
Woodcroft Residence
Yeomcroft Residence
etc

While I only have one quest where I need to find one residence.

That said, this bug has a welcome side effect in that you can't skip ahead in the quests because you happen to see a residence as an option. So you then know that's going to be where you are told to go. You have to actually figure it out by following the quest.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

yeah I thought this had been fixed by Joris as well. Maybe we just discussed the fix, I know there was talk that parsing the quests for generating the list needed/could be streamlined. Hopefully he's on the case as i am neck deep in quest and world data work.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

4nt

Post by 4nt »

pango wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 am If I remember correctly, it has been identified as a side-effect of the "Guild quest player selection" enhancement option; But I'm not sure whether it was fixed, and if the fix is part of a released version already.
May I ask if there's a way I can view which version of Daggerfall Unity I'm using through the use of the application?

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

4nt wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:50 pm
pango wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 am If I remember correctly, it has been identified as a side-effect of the "Guild quest player selection" enhancement option; But I'm not sure whether it was fixed, and if the fix is part of a released version already.
May I ask if there's a way I can view which version of Daggerfall Unity I'm using through the use of the application?
Hit esc when you're playing it should be on the upper right corner, if it's too white outside you're not going to see it because the letters are white
Check out my YouTube Channel!

4nt

Post by 4nt »

Midknightprince wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:20 pm Hit esc when you're playing it should be on the upper right corner, if it's too white outside you're not going to see it because the letters are white
Thank you. The version i am currently using is Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.7

As for Daggerfall itself, i used the installer from the following site: https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?t ... llSetup_EN
(Given it has 2.15.0 in the title of the installer, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that this is Daggerfall version 2.15.0, lol :lol:)

pango

Post by pango »

4nt wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:13 am Thank you. The version i am currently using is Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.7
Well, current version of Daggerfall Unity is 0.10.11, the problem you're reporting is most likely already fixed...
4nt wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:13 am (Given it has 2.15.0 in the title of the installer, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that this is Daggerfall version 2.15.0, lol :lol:)
Actually the last version of Daggerfall is 1.07.213 from... 1996? I guess all installers use that version.
2.15.0 is the version of the DaggerfallSetup installer only
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

4nt

Post by 4nt »

pango wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm
4nt wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:13 am Thank you. The version i am currently using is Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.7
Well, current version of Daggerfall Unity is 0.10.11, the problem you're reporting is most likely already fixed...
Oh, well that's excellent. May i ask how I'd go about extracting save files from one version of Daggerfall Unity to another?

Moving over the mod files won't be too hard since i'd just need to reinstall them per usual. I just don't want to lose the progress that i've made on my character is all.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

4nt wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am
pango wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm
Oh, well that's excellent. May i ask how I'd go about extracting save files from one version of Daggerfall Unity to another?

Moving over the mod files won't be too hard since i'd just need to reinstall them per usual. I just don't want to lose the progress that i've made on my character is all.
No need to think about the save files. They are stored in a seperate location under c:/users so they will work cross-version.

Just dowload the new build, unzip it in a new folder (Suggested: in a folder called "0.10.11". Do this each time you download a new build so you can go back to previous builds if you need to.)

You can move mod files over. But honestly, if you are running 0.10.7 you are not using the newest versions of mods. Many of them needed several updates to work correctly with the newest build. Just write down all the mods you are using, then download and install them in the new live build.