Bug: Negative Hours Dialogue With Inn Keeper [RESOLVED]

TechnoWolf

Bug: Negative Hours Dialogue With Inn Keeper [RESOLVED]

Post by TechnoWolf »

So, in climbing my way up in the Mage's Guild in Midbury (Daggerfall Region) I'm using the trainer there to boost my two top guild spells and then I'm immediately going to "The Devil's Giant" Inn, just south of the Mage's Guild to rent a room one day at a time, spamming the trained spell, then sleeping until 11am and going back to the Mage's Guild to rinse-repeat.

I've noticed that if I do not allow my room at the inn to expire before extending the rent there, everything works fine. If I DO allow the room to expire, the moment the room expires after loitering until expiry, I see the top-of-screen dialogue as if waking up from sleeping, "Your Mysticism skill has improved". It's as if the room expiring timer is tied to skill-rest improvements??

From there, when I attempt to enter dialogue with the Inn keeper, it looks like the attached screenshot. Attempting to secure a room for 1 day at this point states, "You are asking for too many days into the future". There seems to be no way that this isn't a bug. It shouldn't be possible to incur negative hours at all?

I am using Daggerfall Unity version Alpha 0.10.11 with no mods installed (mods checkbox also unchecked in settings).

pango

Re: Bug: Negative Hours Dialogue With Inn Keeper

Post by pango »

TechnoWolf wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 am I've noticed that if I do not allow my room at the inn to expire before extending the rent there, everything works fine. If I DO allow the room to expire, the moment the room expires after loitering until expiry, I see the top-of-screen dialogue as if waking up from sleeping, "Your Mysticism skill has improved". It's as if the room expiring timer is tied to skill-rest improvements??
I think skills up are checked when exiting loitering, resting or fast traveling; That's why even loitering for 0 hours can sometimes trigger a skill up.
So that's probably just a coincidence, with timers being a confounder.
TechnoWolf wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 am From there, when I attempt to enter dialogue with the Inn keeper, it looks like the attached screenshot.
I managed to reproduce the issue:
  • If I rent a room and rest for 24 hours, I get the message that the "room has expired", and if I go check the innkeeper he'll happily rent me the room again as if I never rented it before;
  • If I rest 12 hours, then 12 more hours, same thing;
  • I think I sometimes do not get the "the room has expired", but if I go see the innkeeper, it works just as above. I assume it must depend on whether I lost some time between actions, and maybe some clock rounding/ticking details;
  • If I rent a room, rest for 23 hours, then loiter for one, I do not get the "room has expired" message; And if I go talk to the innkeeper I see the issue you describe.
So I suspect it's a check missing while loitering.

Also, if I rest for 23 hours then just wait around for an hour and go see the innkeeper, I also trigger the bug.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: Bug: Negative Hours Dialogue With Inn Keeper

Post by pango »

I created a PR
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: Bug: Negative Hours Dialogue With Inn Keeper [FIX UPLOADED]

Post by pango »

Should be fixed in 0.10.12
-- Charles Goodhart