[Resolved 0.10.17] Character creation question answers related to wrong class

GordonTheWizard

[Resolved 0.10.17] Character creation question answers related to wrong class

Post by GordonTheWizard »

I don't know is there was post somewhere on forum about this, so forgive me if my topic would duplicate issue. Issue happens when I using questions introduced in 0.10.12 build to generate my class. Of course many people will say "just create your custom class for God's sake", but I decided just test this feature to find out which class I create through questions. Turns out answers and their alignment towards Mage/Thief/Warrior messed up.
When I say "messed up", I mean according to question system Warrior is weak thief and coward, Thief is most honest person alive and Mage is complete mess up.
An example of question with messed up answers:

While exploring the woods with two other adventurers, you come across a small, abandoned hut that seems to have once belonged to a mage. Looking through the window, you see the remains of a laboratory, many potions and scrolls still on the shelves. A fighter named Geotina, who thinks you a cowardly sort, suggests breaking into the shack and exploring. Another fighter named Hunard suggests going to town to find out more information. You advise:

a) Going into town. They are more familiar with the area and may have important information about this hut and the surrounding area.
b) Breaking into the shack, but leaving one person on the outside in case something goes wrong. You should investigate new things, not run away from them.
c) Daring Geotina to go in first. If there is a trap, she can trip it, then you and Hunard can go in and explore at your leisure.
According to https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Character_Creation a) is supposed to be Mage answer, b) - Warrior, c) - Thief.
However in Daggerfall Unity I encountered, that a) count as Warrior which completely illogical. And this isn't only one question, there many others with this problem. I can't imagine tricky bastard that likes steal things to go in shop to demand refund and yet in question:
You and your best friend buy your first daggers together, a matched pair. You loan him the amount since he doesn't have enough gold, and he agrees to pay you back later. After leaving the shop you and he sit down to marvel at your new weapons. To your dismay you notice that there is a small notch on the blade of the dagger you selected. Your friend asks you to please watch his weapon for him while he runs an errand. Do you:

a) Wait for your friend's return then point out the flaw in your dagger and return to the weapons shop to demand a refund.
b) Switch the daggers, rationalizing that since you paid for them you should get the first choice, and that if your friend ever notices the notch, you could always take him back to the weapon shop and get a refund?
c) Keep his dagger safe until his return, then switch the daggers with your best friend's knowledge, justifying it with the fact that you paid for them, and then offer to accompany him back to the weapons shop?
a) count as Thief option (should be Warrior)
And many other question bugged too.
I have mods installed, but none of them should influence character generation through questions.

Anyway I created custom class and decided to report this inconsistency, because perhaps for someone these questions important for someone and they should be fixed.

Interkarma

Re: [BUG?] Character creation question answers is really weird.

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for the report. :)

That behaviour does sound wrong. I'll move this to bug queue so we don't lose track of it.

numidium3rd

Re: 0.10.17 - Character creation question answers related to wrong class

Post by numidium3rd »

That would be my feature :oops: . I got the routine for determining which answer corresponds to which constellation by manually decompiling the old code. Hopefully I only made a small error and didn't completely misunderstand the assembly code. Looking into it.

numidium3rd

Re: 0.10.17 - Character creation question answers related to wrong class

Post by numidium3rd »

Okay, thankfully it was a pretty simple fix. The code was recording the answers properly behind the scenes but the wrong animations were playing. The animation code was treating rogue as index 0, mage as index 1, and warrior as index 2. The correct order is 0 (warrior), 1 (rogue), and 2 (mage) but I must have confused that with their left-to-right order on screen. Silly me. There's pull request up now so this should be fixed in the next build.

Deepfighter

Re: [Resolved 0.10.17] Character creation question answers related to wrong class

Post by Deepfighter »

Resolved by numidium3rd for 0.10.19.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online