[0.10.26a] Buildings improperly marked as Dark Brotherhood after fast travel [RESOLVED 0.10.27]

Hazelnut

Re: [0.10.26a] Buildings improperly marked as Dark Brotherhood after fast travel

Post by Hazelnut »

Can you please retest without mods?

I loaded that save and everything worked fine just as it had in my own testing prior. I am running some mods - my own 5 as I know exactly what they do and the code affected. My guess is that one of the other mods you're using is causing the issue or it's your DFU installation.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.26a] Buildings improperly marked as Dark Brotherhood after fast travel

Post by Interkarma »

Hellmasker wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 pm So yes, clean install with game files and the newest version, no mods attached.
Loading that last save you provided shows that several mods were still in use at the time save was created. Your mod loadout is saved with your game, and a warning is displayed when loading without mods installed.

mods-alert.JPG
mods-alert.JPG (162.76 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

The full list of mods active at time of that save are:
  • Decorator 0.1.5
  • Archaeologists 1.3
  • DREAM 2020 r1 (Music, Sound)
  • Unlevelled Mobs 1.0.1
  • Meaner Monsters 1.5.1
If you have time, please test with no mods in a cleanly setup environment. Preferably using the DaggerfallGameFiles setup method so we know game data is in good condition and we're all testing the same environment with as few variables as possible.

I loaded your last test save without mods and travelled back to Wayrest, and no additional Dark Brotherhood buildings were marked.

Hellmasker

Post by Hellmasker »

Well, I just tested it again, no mods attached, re-saved it without mods, no questpack, no extra sounds, just the clean save - and I still get to see a shop marked as Brotherhood house... and it's consistent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQ2DHT ... e=youtu.be

captured it for your convenience.
Asgar Hellmasker, Silencer of the Dark Brotherhood

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

We absolutely believe you, no video is necessary. :) We just can't reproduce on our end, which means something is different on your end that we haven't isolated yet.

What we're trying to do is limit variables until we understand what's causing the problem and we can reproduce. That's the only we way can help fix it, whether it turns out to be a code bug or bad game data at play.

What is your source of game data? Did you also setup fresh using DaggerfallGameFiles? This ensures you're using known-good game data and we're all testing against the same environment.

Ideally, your test install of DFU will be setup like so:
  1. Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  2. Unzip Daggerfall Unity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.10.26 (match version used)
  3. Delete settings.ini and next time you run DFU from location in step 2, be sure to point it to game data in step 1
Because you're potentially using problem game data, please don't skip step 3. Once you're using DaggerfallGameFiles and a clean 0.10.26 without mods, we'll basically be on the same page and start drilling down from there.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Hellmasker

Post by Hellmasker »

Well, I did exactly what you described, all steps... and the problem is still there...

Edit: And funny enough, even then, when I visited Wayrest and travel back to daggerfall, another Brotherhood house marked itself there aswell... with a fresh installation... I'm starting to think the savegame might just be broken beyond repair....

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. :) Can you please attach a zip of your output log after reproducing problem and I'll look for any issues in there.

This is found in your persistent data path near Saves and is called Player.txt on 0.10.26 (or output_log.txt on 0.10.24 and older).

Hellmasker

Post by Hellmasker »

Here you go, boss :) I hope it's the right one.
Attachments
Player.zip
(11.22 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Perfect, thank you! :)

No errors found in logs - but I've finally been able to reproduce on my end using a matching clean setup.

I don't have a solution yet. I'll post what I have so far.
  • Confirmed clean setup of DaggerfallGameFiles + 0.10.26 64-bit (build #134) with no mods. Game data and builds downloaded fresh from Live Builds page on my end.
  • Load Hellmasker's second save on first page and fast travel from Daggerfall city to Wayrest city.
  • An improper building is tagged as a DB residence.
Here's some tech info. The building key being improperly tagged in Wayrest is 131840. This is actually the building key of DB residence in Daggerfall city. This confirms my earlier theory that world building data from previous location is being carried over to new location's discovery data.

It looks like an async condition of some kind, where DB building in Discovery is marked before world data has been loaded, so old world data from previous location is being queried and applied to discovery data for current location.

I'll dig into this more and fix when I can. I can stop hassling you now, Hellmasker. I have everything I need to reproduce and resolve. Cheers!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Update. This problem is caused when GetCurrentBuildingDirectory() returns stale directory data from a location object in the process of being recycled. It's intermittent based on scene load times, which varies by system and other factors. This is why we couldn't reproduce reliably. This bug has actually been around forever, it's just triggered more easily in 0.10.26 than earlier versions for some reason.

This edge case only seems to impact marking TG and DB on map as PlayerGPS_OnEnterLocationRect event can fire before location is fully recycled. Other systems using GetCurrentBuildingDirectory() don't happen right on the bleeding edge of location pool recycling.

I have pushed a fix for this now to ensure building directory location is properly aligned with expected location so as not to return stale data.

Hellmasker

Post by Hellmasker »

Phew! So my save is not broken after all :D

I really was concerned there! So I'll wait until it makes it to the live version before I continue with my murdering lizard 8-)

Many thanks for listening to my ramblings! :D