[0.10.11] Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book by handing in to Gortwog [RESOLVED 0.11.1]

Ceumadorgas

[0.10.11] Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book by handing in to Gortwog [RESOLVED 0.11.1]

Post by Ceumadorgas »

First I would like to clarify that I'm not sure if the version I'm playing on right now is 0.10.28 or 0.11.0 . If any anyone could teach me how to check this information I can edit the post and present in the right version.

Bug 1: During Barenziah's Book quest, I waited till I received the vision from the orcs telling me that the book has been stolen by the Necromancers, I proceeded to go visit Gortwog, who offered me an alliance and a reward if I were to retrieve the book to him instead of Barenziah, which I agreed upon.
Went to Scourg Barrow and found the book, problem is I can't even talk to Gortwog while in possession of the Book, leaving it impossible to finish this quest in favor of the Orcs, however I can finish it by talking to Barenziah.

Bug 2: This is a minor bug which I were able to work around it even without using the CC. While doing quests for the Beldama coven (Coven in the region of Daenia), sometimes a quest location would be "Generic Knight Order" in a city, however not only there is no Knight Order with this name, and the quest location was actually a normal residence, for exemple "Ashton Residence". Quest would be resolved without any problems.
note: it really was literaly written "Generic Knight Order" in the dialog with the witch, not "Order of the Candle" for example.

I'm glad to help with bug reporting, improving the game, and glad if anyone could help me resolve bug 1, thanks!

Interkarma

Re: Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book, and a minor bug related to Witch Covens

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

Your version is displayed on the launcher at startup, and at the top-right when game is paused.

If you can please provide your save at the end of Barenziah's Book where you're unable to hand in to Gortwog, I'd be happy to take a look and confirm bug.

Info below on locating saves. On Windows, you can click the SAVE# folder at top-right of screenshot in save/load UI to open save folder directly.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

Ceumadorgas

Re: Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book, and a minor bug related to Witch Covens

Post by Ceumadorgas »

Hey there, thanks for the help and the welcome!

Just checked and it seems I'm playing on 0.10.28 , so these could be bugs already fixed, sorry for making this redundant if that's the case.

Here are the saves. "quicksave" is already in Orsinium, "Merrick" and "Merrick2" are at the same point, at the exit of Scourg Barrow, with the quest item already in hands.
Attachments
SavesCeumadorgas.zip
(728.35 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for save. I'm digging into this one now. My observation is that Gortwog isn't registering click against his proxy in quest script. I'll update once I have some more details.

Edit: OK, I understand what's happening now. This is a bit of an edge case in quest execution. I'll break it down in detail for sake of bug report.

There are two cases where Gortwog needs to be clicked in this quest. Task S.13 is used to detect a click for the sake of progressing story (message 1050 "we have a mutual antagonist...").

Due to execution order and some click logic unique to DFU, the S.13 click detection will "own" the click and cause it to be reset after handling click. This then prevents S.15 from handling click to complete Gortwog hand-in.

I have a couple of ways I can resolve this, and I need to be certain that I'm not causing a regression in other quests with fix.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.11] Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book by handing in to Gortwog [0.11.1]

Post by Interkarma »

I'll move this to bug reports now. I'll tag as 0.11.0 as this bug is still present in current version. Thanks for report!

Edit: This will be resolved in 0.11.1. Any other quest with this exact edge case will also be resolved.

Ceumadorgas

Re: [0.10.11] Can't finish the quest Barenziah's Book by handing in to Gortwog

Post by Ceumadorgas »

Thanks for looking into it!!

Daggerfall Unity is an amazing project and I'm glad to be of help, any other bugs I find while playing I will be reporting.

Also, I will be updating my game to prevent reporting bugs from an older version, having a lot of fun so far!