Coven NPCs change to male names

Ralzar

Coven NPCs change to male names

Post by Ralzar »

I ran into a weird bug just now.

1: I find the Beldama Coven in Daenia.

2: I talk to the head witch NPC called Vyctolda Hearthart.
(Correction: I was probably mistaken. The NPC probably had a male name even here, I simply did not notice.)

3: She gives me a quest to kill a vampire.

4: I set a Recall anchor at the coven and complete the quest.

5: I recall back to the coven, but I can not turn in the quest.

6: I then notice that the head witch NPC is now called "Theodyrick Yeomton". Which is a male name.

7: All other NPCs in the coven have also be renamed to random male names.

8: I reload and try again. Same thing.

9 I travel to a nearby location and ride over to the coven. This still produces male names, but new ones.

I have tried restarting the game without any change in behaviour.

SAVE16.zip
(270.13 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: Coven NPCs change to male names

Post by Hazelnut »

Is that save when you arrive back with the problem, when you take a quest or before accepting?

This is one I need to look at.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm Is that save when you arrive back with the problem, when you take a quest or before accepting?

This is one I need to look at.
The save is after having completed the quest, before returning to the coven.

And from just a first little test, my gut feeling is that whatever name list is used for the last settlement you were in, gets re-used for the Coven. Even though you have already been there.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Jay, I had completely forgotten about Interkarma's theory which I think is very likely the cause of this.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I did a bit of additional testing, both to see if I could manage to turn the quest in and to help pinpoint how this bug behaves. And the results were strange.

I tried a few different sequences of loading save games both in and outside the coven. No matter what I just got male names for everyone.

Then I tried restarting the game, and load a character that had never been to the coven. Still male names.

Then I tried rebooting the PC, and load the same game and discover the coven. Still male names.

So I checked another thing: I took a new quest from the coven. And here I realized that the quests get the correct NPC names. But the names assigned to them "live" keeps changing. But even though the witch is called "Alabyctor Buckingwing", when I check my log, it says the quest givers name is "Barbyrra Buckingwing".
Note the last name though. It is the same. I tested this a couple of times and each time the last names match up.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

This is a game data related issue, the same happens in classic. However there is a very easy fix which is to use the gender provided by FLATS.CFG. I just submitted a PR that does this. In fact, classic does use FLATS.CFG information for quest NPCs, which explains why the gender is correct in this case.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Ferital.

Good to confirm this gender issue is separate to the problem linked in earlier topic (related to quest hand-in). That one is still an open problem.