[0.12.3] Runaway pet reward immediately collected

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
pango

[0.12.3] Runaway pet reward immediately collected

Post by pango »

Something I just saw in a Box_McNug stream:
Player managed to get hit the right tiger and ring the bell for the first time (in that order, reloading the game after each "wrong" tiger), and doing so got the "tiger is purring" message, immediately followed by the tiger owner message and reward collection, right inside the dungeon...

PS. Thinking about it some more, he did something else that was unusual, he went to meet the tiger owner first, before going to the dungeon. That could explain why he got the message immediately.
It's also more likely to happen, because in recent versions of DFU I noticed that the owner now inhabits the same town as the quest giver, in the Palace if the town has one, and otherwise a random house (whereas he used to live in the Palace of some other town of the region); So it's now easier to go visit him.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: [0.12.3] Runaway pet reward immediately collected

Post by pango »

And right after that (at 1h40m exactly), you can see that he picked the corpse of the unfortunate lover in his inventory, immediately bringing his encumbrance to 241/111kg, but the corpse does not seem to have disappeared immediately from the dungeon floor, even if I suppose he clicked on it. It eventually did however, as can be seen 2 minutes later.
Never saw that, but I usually ring the bell as soon as I can, given I know it's sufficient for the quest. It's a strange mixture of things that work-as-really-intended and things unusually-broken ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This means quest script is not clearing clicks on NPC, so when other objectives are completed the quest ends instantly. It's a really common issue in fighter guild quests. I think whoever wrote those missed the memo on clearing their clicks.

pango

Post by pango »

That's what I thought too then I remembered he went to see the tiger owner before completing the quest.
I wonder if the corpse issue is also related to that though.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, that's what I'm describing. Visiting the owner first is exactly the problem. Quest is failing to clear click on owner, which script later interprets as hand-in click while player is in dungeon, because click wasn't cleared earlier. It's a really common issue in fighters quests.

Not sure about corpse though, sounds like a different problem.