[0.11.1] Hard to click quest items

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
pango

[0.11.1] Hard to click quest items

Post by pango »

(I'm pretty sure I saw the problem mentioned before, but I didn't manage to find the thread... If it can be found, they can be merged, as an update)

Sometimes quest items are spawned in or very near static objects, to the point of being impossible to click (attached SAVE451). Reverting recent increase in SphereCast radius helped, so either SphereCast radius for touching should be left at 0.2, or some workaround should be devised.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Also (and I think that's what the other thread was mainly about), sometimes several items are spawned in the exact same spot, so it can also be impossible to choose which one to pick (attached SAVE458).
Attachments
SAVE458.zip
(420.01 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
SAVE451.zip
(318.87 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by pango on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Leeux

Re: Hard to click quest items

Post by Leeux »

Could this same problem also be related to some levers that also are almost impossible to activate?

As example, the small elevator lever in the chamber that leads to Queen Akorithi always caused me all sort of problems to activate... at one point I had to say "screw that," and climb all my way up there, in one of the visits I did on my previous character. Other similar levers are also problematic, in some random dungeons... it'd be hard to remember all of them, as I haven't been keeping up a list of all times this was an issue.

pango

Post by pango »

Now I'm puzzled...
I was intrigued by your question and investigated some more how things are activated, and DFU seems to use a plain Ray cast for that, no SphereCast.
So I reloaded the gamesaves I attached here, and managed to grab objects first time without reverting above change. Is there something related to reloading, I have no idea...
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The problem here is going to be the mesh collider of static crate model overlapping collider of ground object. How Unity orders these internally may not be the same each time scene is built.

It should be possible to click this object though, it appears slightly in front of crate. Try visualising in the editor to see how the colliders are placed.

pango

Post by pango »

Now I can't seem to fail picking them, so mmmh...
According to the colliders, I think I have to pick the cloth amulet before the letter, because it has a much larger collider. I don't know if that has any impact on the quest:
colliders.jpg
colliders.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Stacked ground items like this are problematic, especially when player is only supposed to pick up a single item or potentially fail quest.

Sphere radius wraps the item based on billboard quad dimension. Something I've considered is changing these to a mesh collider using a tight-fitting mesh (i.e. one that follows contours of texture and always faces player). But this has a few issues as well, such as still needing to resolve z-fighting. It's just one of those things I have in the back of my mind, but it's a rare enough issue not to prioritise it yet.

pango

Post by pango »

pango wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:21 pm According to the colliders, I think I have to pick the cloth amulet before the letter, because it has a much larger collider. I don't know if that has any impact on the quest:
It seems that in can: https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... _though_i/
-- Charles Goodhart

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

I'm thinking one possible resolution to this issue would be to create AoE looting, maybe by like a SphereCast of a reasonable radius. It would also make corpse looting easier and more efficient. The only thing I'm not sure of is if there are event triggers when collecting a certain item, and combining multiple loot into one window could cause any problems.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

pango

Post by pango »

That will require some work, because now quest items are not activated as containers:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... te.cs#L264
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

From a report on reddit, that problem still very much exists.

Maybe it should be moved to bug reports before we forget about it...
-- Charles Goodhart