Maybe broken dungeon? [RESOLVED 0.11.4]

Ralzar

Maybe broken dungeon? [RESOLVED 0.11.4]

Post by Ralzar »

This might just be me not managing to find the teleporter.

Thing is, I used tele2qmarker and explored the whole part of the dungeon I can't get to, and I found no way there to get back either?

The Roost Of Grumerus in Wayrest.
grumerus.PNG
grumerus.PNG (334.92 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
To the left of this room, there is about half the dungeon that I can't get to.

pango

Re: Maybe broken dungeon?

Post by pango »

Already reported: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2693
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is one of those dungeons with a W* block as the entrance block. My theory is the exit quad needs to be rotated 90 degrees in this cases to open parts of dungeon that would otherwise be sealed. I haven't looked at this block specifically though, so my theory could be wrong (I'm often wrong about stuff). :)

I see both of these are in Help & Support. I'll move this one to Bug Reports for followup, and Pango has already referenced the larger topic for completeness. Not sure what to call this, or even if there's much we can do about it while using classic game data for layout.. Something to look at later though.

pango

Post by pango »

(Actually, because of how module entrances are placed, you cannot use rotated modules)
room.png
room.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think you've misunderstood. I'm referring to the rotated exit quad found in some W entrance blocks. See screenshots and discussion in below.

viewtopic.php?p=34787#p34787

The "exit quad" is the quad mesh with the dungeon exit texture. In some cases in classic, this is rotated 90 degrees.

It doesn't appear to be the case in every W entrance block however. But that's the line of investigation for this bug report - why classic rotates the exit quad in some W blocks to open up that part of dungeon, and how to identify these cases.

My feeling is it's going to be a dirty hack in classic for very specific blocks and we'll need to implement the same dirty hack.

pango

Post by pango »

Ah yes, this case, I've seen it mentioned before
-- Charles Goodhart

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Interkarma wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:44 am I think you've misunderstood. I'm referring to the rotated exit quad found in some W entrance blocks. See screenshots and discussion in below.

viewtopic.php?p=34787#p34787

The "exit quad" is the quad mesh with the dungeon exit texture. In some cases in classic, this is rotated 90 degrees.

It doesn't appear to be the case in every W entrance block however. But that's the line of investigation for this bug report - why classic rotates the exit quad in some W blocks to open up that part of dungeon, and how to identify these cases.

My feeling is it's going to be a dirty hack in classic for very specific blocks and we'll need to implement the same dirty hack.
Your feeling is absolutely right! There is even a special function for this dirty hack in classic. It checks if W0000009.RDB is the starting block and creates a special exit quad in this case, positioned as follows:

Code: Select all

x = original_pos.x + 664;
y = original_pos.y - 1281;
z = original_pos.z + 2035; 
Coordinates are, of course, in classic format but I'm not familiar enough with this part of the code to convert them to DFU internal format.

As for the other block, W0000020.RDB, it is not processed by classic through this special hack and I confirmed this in classic by going to The Roost of Grumerus, Wayrest.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Dirty hack of the classic dirty hack function to position the special exit quad at another place:
tower_of_hearthhouse_hacked.png
tower_of_hearthhouse_hacked.png (60.66 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Legendary! Thank you Ferital! Now I don't have to go through those W blocks one by one. :D

I think there's definitely another issue with topology around W blocks, but this puts the rotating exit quad problem to rest. Thanks so much.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Interkarma wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:09 pm Legendary! Thank you Ferital! Now I don't have to go through those W blocks one by one. :D

I think there's definitely another issue with topology around W blocks, but this puts the rotating exit quad problem to rest. Thanks so much.
You're welcome :)

I also checked all of the problematic wet blocks and this is what I could find:

- W0000009.RMB has its exit located on a block connection. This is fixed in classic by replacing the exit quad with another one located on the coordinates I have provided above.
- W0000018.RMB is bugged because it has two unconnected parts.
- W0000020.RMB, which is at the origin of this thread since it is used in The Roost of Grumerus, has no issue at all in reality. I checked the save provided by d999 on viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2693 and using tele2qitem, I ended on the body of a Harpy he already killed, which has the feather requested to complete the quest. The unconnected parts we can see on the dungeon map using Daggerfall Modelling are just the usual inaccessible parts of the bordering blocks. And as with all bordering blocks, they don't have a quest marker.

So once the classic hack for W0000009.RDB is replicated in DFU, the only real remaining issue will be with dungeons using W0000018.RDB.