[0.12.3] Magic Sound does not stop when foe is insta-killed with magic and message shown

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
haloterm

[0.12.3] Magic Sound does not stop when foe is insta-killed with magic and message shown

Post by haloterm »

I have the following quest snippet:

Code: Select all

_Winning_ task:
    when _MyFoeDead_ 
        get item _MyReward_
        make _MyReward_ permanent
        say 1023
        end quest
When I instakill (i.e. with one hit) the foe using magic, like Arcane Arrow and he is insta-killed, the sound of the magic effect is played endlessly, while the message (1023) is shown and even after the quest is ended. It is extremly loud, as if the sound is duplicated multiple times (but that's just how it sounds; don't know if it really happens).

When it is inside a building, the sound only stops after I leave the building.

This happens in vanilla on Windows. To be sure, I switched off all sound mods.

Interkarma

Re: Bug? Magic Sound does not stop when foe is insta-killed with magic and message shown

Post by Interkarma »

Hi, please provide a save queued up to reproduce and I'll take a look.

Magic sound and payloads are generally separate from the quest system, I'm not sure there's a related interaction here. I'd need to see it in action to diagnose.

Cheers!

haloterm

Re: Bug? Magic Sound does not stop when foe is insta-killed with magic and message shown

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:13 am Hi, please provide a save queued up to reproduce and I'll take a look.

Magic sound and payloads are generally separate from the quest system, I'm not sure there's a related interaction here. I'd need to see it in action to diagnose.

Cheers!
I will try to reproduce it with just the single questfile and without needing the whole mod to be installed. If it shows the same issue, I will attach the save file.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:13 am Hi, please provide a save queued up to reproduce and I'll take a look.
I have tested my observation regarding an endlessly repeated "Arcance Arrow" sound in a setup where only my own quest mod is active. The mod does not change anything regarding magic or sound, it just adds a few quests, a few custom books and a few custom locations.
Sound Bug Test.zip
(266.11 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
You will need to install the included .dfmod and activate it, otherwise the same situation can't be recreated. Then load the save (SAVE6).

You are standing directly in front of a restrained battlemage - he will not attack. To reproduce, please do the following:

1. Open spellbook.
2. Equip Arcane Arrow.
3. Point towards the foe.
4. Cast the spell.

He will die immediately and a quest dialog will pop up. At the same time, you will hear the sound issue and at the top of the screen, in the status line, there are dozens and dozens of "Save versus spell" lines shown.

The sounds stop once you leave the tavern, but there are still some "Save versus spell" lines scrolling.

Oh and by the way, my player.log is full of these after casting the spell:
Loaded 5 spell target icons and 5 element icons.
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.EnemyMotor.MakeEnemyHostileToAttacker (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour attacker) [0x00140] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour.HandleAttackFromSource (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour sourceEntityBehaviour) [0x00168] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour.DamageHealthFromSource (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour sourceEntityBehaviour, System.Int32 amount, System.Boolean showBlood, UnityEngine.Vector3 bloodPosition) [0x0000d] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour.DamageHealthFromSource (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.IEntityEffect sourceEffect, System.Int32 amount, System.Boolean showBlood, UnityEngine.Vector3 bloodPosition) [0x00007] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.MagicEffects.DamageHealth.MagicRound () [0x00032] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager.AssignBundle (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectBundle sourceBundle, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.AssignBundleFlags flags) [0x003ed] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallMissile.AssignPayloadToTargets () [0x00039] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallMissile.Update () [0x000df] in <8966aa1dc271433faadcf946afed92a0>:0
These repeat very often. I attach it, too.
Player.zip
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Interkarma

Re: [0.12.3] Magic Sound does not stop when foe is insta-killed with magic and message shown

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for excellent details and steps to reproduce. I'll move to Issues to follow up on when I can. It just looks like a range check and null check is needed in the right place.

Also likely the cause behind this report, but your post all the right details to work from. Cheers! :)