[0.12.3] NPC name in chained quest identical to NPC from previous quest

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
haloterm

[0.12.3] NPC name in chained quest identical to NPC from previous quest

Post by haloterm »

Another strange observation:

I have two chained quest. MDBHC001 starts MDBHC002B, once the player has received the reward from an NPC in MDBHC001. The quest MDBHC001 is stopped with "end quest" directly after MDBHC002B is started.

In MDBHC002B, the task is to go to a remote place and talk to another NPC. This other NPC is created in MDBHC002B newly.

I noticed that the first name and last name of the new NPC in MDBHC002B are exactly the same as in the ended MDBHC001.

I could understand if that happens due to some rare coincidence. But it happens all the time. :( I use "Questor" as NPC category in the 2nd quest. Can this be the reason?

Interkarma

Re: [0.12.3] NPC name in chained quest identical to NPC from previous quest

Post by Interkarma »

Sounds like a seeding issue, though not sure yet of the cause. I'll move to Issues and take a look when I can.

I you have a couple of quest scripts to reproduce quickly, that would be helpful. But this sounds like it will be something obvious once I dig into it.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 pm Sounds like a seeding issue, though not sure yet of the cause. I'll move to Issues and take a look when I can.

I you have a couple of quest scripts to reproduce quickly, that would be helpful. But this sounds like it will be something obvious once I dig into it.
Sure, here you go:
Chained NPC Names Test.zip
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
These are the two affected quests. Sorry, you will have to quickly play the first one, but no worries, it's just running around in one city, no fights etc.:

1. Be in Daggerfall City
2. in the console, startquest MDBHC001 -> intro message will appear
3. take note of the first name and last name of the editor mentioned in the message

4. go to the informant (in one of the homes) and click him
5. go to the Temple and click the cleric
6. go the the Lyceum and click the editor. He will thank you, MDBHC002B will be started immediately afterwards and MDBHC001 will be stopped.

7. in the intro message of the new quest, take again note of the name of the missing courier. -> It will be the same name as the editor had in the already ended previous quest.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Appreciate it, thank you! :)