Spell Absorption: how does it work?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Firebrand

Re: Spell Absorption: how does it work?

Post by Firebrand »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 am
BansheeXYZ wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:52 am Since monsters never cast "fire" versions of silence and drain spells
That's only because the Mages Guild doesn't invite them in to use the spellmaker. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:21 am I've limited this to damaging spells as that was my understanding of the mechanic at the time.
EDIT: Below I'm referring to the Spell Absorption Character Advantage, not the Spell.

I can absorb my own damage spells indefinitely, but I cannot seem to absorb ANY hostile NPC spells. Character with 27 out of 270 mana didn't absorb any of the spells an Orc Shaman cast at me.

I also tried making a stock Elven Sorcerer, draining his mana as much as I could, then attacking that first Imp in starter dungeon. The character always takes damage never absorbing any of the spells. This Isn't working as intended right? Also, my other character who is immune to Poison still seems to take damage from NPC's Toxic Cloud spell etc.

Utankung

Post by Utankung »

Can confirm that after at least 80 hours and a several character levels, not one time has a spell been absorbed by the class based absorbtion. My build is breton sorcerer.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I haven't noticed absorbing enemy spells either in my current playthrough. The only times I have observed absorbing spells is when I cast an area of effect damage spell of my own that would have otherwise dealt me damage.

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

Sorry if this is a "necro", but directly related.

Observed that in engine Alpha 0.10.17 Class Spell Absorption(General) only works in multi-spell cantrips (primarily for training purposes) with the inclusion of "Damage" (no matter what type of damage) when:
1. Damage is "Cast on Self" (CS) only, and
2. if the combination includes a Mysticism spell (e.g. Open).

Ex: Open, Damage(fatigue)-"CS", Water Walking (schools of Mysticism, Destruction, Thaumaturgy respectively) gets absorbed. The final spell is "CS".

The same combination does not absorb if the Damage (and final spell) is "Cast on Area" (CA). This is reverse behavior from Classic cantrips and from what was reported to be working in the immediately previous post.

Other school spell combinations excluding Mysticism seem to force the Damage spell to become "On Touch" (CT) only regardless of casting type selection when building, even though those same spells in combination with Mysticism do get absorbed without forcing a change to the type of Cast. (Haven't tested this with every possible school combination or other means of inflicting damage, but enough to be convinced Mysticism is the key.)

Ex: Water Breathing, Damage(fatigue)-CA (forced to CT), Water Walking (schools of Alteration, Destruction, Thaumaturgy respectively).

Now reported on the "Help and Support" thread.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

GreyGhost wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Interkarma wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:21 am I've limited this to damaging spells as that was my understanding of the mechanic at the time.
EDIT: Below I'm referring to the Spell Absorption Character Advantage, not the Spell.

I can absorb my own damage spells indefinitely, but I cannot seem to absorb ANY hostile NPC spells. Character with 27 out of 270 mana didn't absorb any of the spells an Orc Shaman cast at me.

I also tried making a stock Elven Sorcerer, draining his mana as much as I could, then attacking that first Imp in starter dungeon. The character always takes damage never absorbing any of the spells. This Isn't working as intended right? Also, my other character who is immune to Poison still seems to take damage from NPC's Toxic Cloud spell etc.
So, I'm also noticing that. Dozens of hours playing with a character equipped with the "spell absorption in general" advantage and not a single time I noticed it absorbing MP from enemy spells (of any type). I can absorb MP from my own area of effect damaging spells, but not from those cast by the enemies.

*EDIT

So, I made some tests on this matter and concluded two things:

First, the "class perk" spell absorption really doesn't seem to be working with enemy spells. But it works with the ones casted by you.

Second, if you enchant an item with the spell absorption ability, it will work fine, it will absorb magicka from enemy spells cast at you and replenish your magicka points.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

There's been a fair deal of discussion about Spell Absorption (including its relationship to Spell Resistance, and the difference between spell-based and class advantage-based absorption), so I've clarified the UESP pages at https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Spell_Maker and https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:ClassMaker.

Note that per a classic mechanic/bug (? - debatable whether intended), which may or may not be duplicated in DFU, not only must you 1) have sufficient free/empty spell points to nullify the damage and absorb the full spell point cost of a damage-dealing spell, and 2) meet the success chance or condition requirements of the cast spell or class advantage respectively, it appears that even for characters with a Spell Absorption class advantage, a cast Spell Absorption effect (from a spell or item) will override that advantage during the duration of the cast effect. This may or may not be the reason for what on the surface seems to be buggy DFU behavior.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 pm There's been a fair deal of discussion about Spell Absorption (including its relationship to Spell Resistance, and the difference between spell-based and class advantage-based absorption), so I've clarified the UESP pages at https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Spell_Maker and https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:ClassMaker.

Note that per a classic mechanic/bug (? - debatable whether intended), which may or may not be duplicated in DFU, not only must you 1) have sufficient free/empty spell points to nullify the damage and absorb the full spell point cost of a damage-dealing spell, and 2) meet the success chance or condition requirements of the cast spell or class advantage respectively, it appears that even for characters with a Spell Absorption class advantage, a cast Spell Absorption effect (from a spell or item) will override that advantage during the duration of the cast effect. This may or may not be the reason for what on the surface seems to be buggy DFU behavior.
Well, about the conditions necessary to trigger the absorption effect, I'm pretty sure to have observed them in both situation. And I tried to trigger the effect from both sources many times, to make sure no RNG was getting in the way.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

OK - it may in fact be a DFU bug that prevents class-based Spell Absorption from working properly, though I haven't tested any of this myself.

Re: the separate but related issue I noted just above, I'm also not sure whether in classic and/or DFU a cast Spell Absorption effect (from a spell or item) will actually override a class-based Spell Absorption advantage during the duration of the cast effect, and if so, whether this should be "fixed" in DFU.

I suggest you open a topic in the Help & Support forum to explain these issues and attach a save file, following all instructions described at viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2354.