interesting quest - potential for similar ones like this?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
risk

interesting quest - potential for similar ones like this?

Post by risk »

halo everyone!

i'm not sure which mod / quest pack this quest was from - but sometime mid-way through my current game, there was this incident where some group took me aside and asked if i wanted to stop commiting crimes and start a new life..

the character i'm playing only really steals whenever i can successfully lockpick stores - and i also decided to do quite a few simple quests for the thieves guild and reached a mid rank ('bandit'). so from a roleplaying perspective i thought this was a great opportunity, and agreed to it. what then happened was i lost 100 reputation with the theives guild, and gained 100 reputation with the fighters guild (which i wasn't a member of - but noticed when i joined in). my legal reputation in that region also increased significantly.

i don't know if you all know which quest i'm referring to, and which quest pack it is from - but i just thought it was such an amazing experience. the type of quest which has such significant consequences based on our decisions, and i did not even choose the quest - it just happened to me.

i was wondering if there is potential for similar quests like this in future packs? to me, it kind of fulfills what i thought daggerfall as a game could be, when i played it some 20 years ago.

thank you to this mod community for making it happen! :)

emmathepony

Re: interesting quest - potential for similar ones like this?

Post by emmathepony »

That sounds really interesting but also kinda... extreme? :cry: Did you get kicked out the Thieves Guild or can you reverse that decision?

risk

Post by risk »

haha yes it was kind of extreme, and i think similar quests in the future don't have to be that game changing - but it's nice to have random events that have consequences.

there is an (?roleplay and realism) option to be kicked out of the guilds (which i have on), but i haven't spoken to the guild members since. instead what i do for role-playing purposes - is always visit the thieves guild in every town i'm at - turn on invisibility (as if i am avoiding the members), and take the stuff on the floor.. lol. so as far as they are concerned, i'm probably either disappeared or not alive.

i was also wondering for end-game quests - in a similar line of quests to the 'mountain rumours' for masters of the fighters guild.. i think it would be really fun to have a complex multi-stage quest to assassinate the leaders (board of directors?) of the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild (separate quests obviously) - if you were previously a member. because you know the workings and the locations of the organization - and if you had the above quest where you 'turned' to a more upstanding life.. you might have motivation to do it. would be good if prolonged and messy, and by completing it - these organizations become temporarily dormant in the game or something.. while also frequently having scattered guild members trying to attack you after. such is the lifestyle of an adventurer, but i think a level 15+ character would welcome it..

you never know, it could be fun haha

Baler

Post by Baler »

I remember doing an older custom quest for the fighters guild to kill a mage that was causing them trouble. That got me kicked out of the mages guild. :)

It's cool from a RP point of view but not expecting it or considering the action based off the vague description of my target I was upset at the time.

I believe the quest I encountered was one of JH's quests. These reputation changes are generally scripted right into the quest file.
That being said there are a few thief quest packs on nexus now, so I can't confirm since I've not done that thief quest.

Which quest packs did you add?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Baler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:07 pm I remember doing an older custom quest for the fighters guild to kill a mage that was causing them trouble. That got me kicked out of the mages guild. :)

It's cool from a RP point of view but not expecting it or considering the action based off the vague description of my target I was upset at the time.
That was absolutely from QP1 ;) I suppose the shock is proper, but I hope to build the expectation that, as soon as you see "kill a member of the Mages Guild" or "steal from the Dark Brotherhood," alarm bells start sounding in your head and you keep away from danger :lol: For reference, that quest takes 10 points from your MG reputation, and it can only be done once per character.

Code: Select all

<ce>                We've got a request here from ___res_
<ce>                 to go off some fellow wreaking havoc
<ce>               around the city. Apparently some member
<ce>                 of the Mages Guild who's on _drug_,
<ce>               or so they say. It's paying =gold_ gold.
<ce>                            Wanna take it?

Code: Select all

<ce>               All right, I trust you can deal with the
<ce>         consequences. The contract says that this so-called

risk

Post by risk »

the one vs mages guild is ok because it does have a warning of some kind.

there is one merchant quest where if you accept you get like -100 regional reputation or something like that just for agreeing to smuggle. that one is crazy - because how did the authorities know about your activity on acceptance of a quest? almost like the merchant was an informant or something..

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

We reduced that to something like -15, +20 in DFU since it was just ridiculous in classic. It isn't enabled yet in the current builds; that'll come in the near future.

risk

Post by risk »

oh that's neat too.

i think -10/+10 here and there is not too bad, although i think there should be more things that increase / decrease legal rep in an area.. to me it just feels kind of static for the most part throughout the game..