The Tale of Kalaron Spellire

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

Re: The Tale of Kalaron Spellire

Post by Ralzar »

Hah, simetimes the game hates you and sometimes it just gives you the quest target in the next room. Allthough you could have turned left instead of right and spent days in there before discovering him :D

Btw, never tried Brutal Monsters. It was a bit too brutal?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I honestly have no idea what the values for Brutal Monsters are. I just found that things were ultra-powerful and decided to change it for Meaner Monsters. Maybe MM will be even harder :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Part XIII: Nobility

I spent a while on the rooftop, thinking, pondering, wondering. Questions flitted through my head like faeries. I seemed to get a sense of something as I let the questions settle in. It wasn't peace or resolution, but it felt like my mind was growing stable with the uncertainty around me.

"Hey you! Elf-man!"

A nasally voice called up from the ground. I looked down, my concentration broken. "What?"

"You done with your business with the Acolyte? He left but he didn't say nothing to us."

I stared at him, wondering what he was on about. "Come on, in the temple! You can't leave us in suspense like that! Are you done with the Acolyte or not?" "He and I did what we needed to," I called back. "Then come over to the temple and tell us what it was! We die of our curiosity!"

At first I pushed the idea completely out of my mind and turned away. He headed back to the temple when I refused to move. While the rain fell, I started to consider it. I wasn't tired enough to sleep, after all, and maybe it would help me wrap my mind around what had just happened.

A while later, I made up my mind and headed slowly toward the House of Dibella. "Wait here, Ancano. You'll be fine."

The attendant smiled broadly when she recognized me. "The elf is here! Hey everyone! The elf's come back!" The priests and workers gathered into the main hall from the offices, making a semicircle around me. They put on more clothes than was their custom, apparently out of respect for my visit. "What's this about?" I asked her suspiciously.

"We're bored and we want a story! Tell us what the Acolyte was on about!" In Menevia, the land of eternal prosperity, it seemed the people were dying of boredom. Telling them what had happened would be a service.

"Fine. I have some time to kill. But there are some details I have to keep out, for the sake of the people involved." The worshippers all nodded, and one brought over a stool for me to sit on.

"I still don't understand everything myself. But I can tell you that we came here from Menevia..." I told the whole story, leaving out the names of the nobles and some other personal information. I told them everything that had happened from the time we arrived in Baelbrone and why we had come, the arrival of the letter, and so on until I got onto the rooftop. "...and then your fellow here came asking me to tell you this story. So here I am."

Once I finished speaking, no one continued in my place. A stillness took to the air, something I understand to be unusual in a temple dedicated to Dibella. A few people looked to each other and whispered their thoughts. An awkward silence ensued, since they didn't know whether to ask me for more information, dismiss me, or something else.

I cleared my throat. "Well, if we all have time, maybe I can ask you some things about these tales," I suggested. They nodded and grinned, happy to have something to pass the time with.

"I'm in Hammerfell because I was attacked and forced off my boat headed to Morrowind. I made my way to Pothago with some help from the villagers on the peninsula, and while in Pothago, the council chief told me that 'the gods had brought me' there. Then a few days later, the Mages Guild's bad decisions made me an exile from Pothago, and I was forced to head east. So why would he be so certain about my being led to Pothago if I wouldn't remain there more than a few days?"

I looked at them, expecting an answer, but none came.

"Do you priests have no answer?"

One spoke up, "Really, we're just volunteers here. We're not prophets or muses. I just sell potions here part-time to serve Dibella."

I continued looking around, and another said, "Yeah, we're not really made for interpreting the gods' will. We just want to serve people." The answer reminded me of Glillon, explaining that some people didn't even believe in the temple's patron god; they just wanted to help their community.

"Then forget about being an authority. Just give me some ideas. In your beliefs, why would people talk about being 'sent by the gods' if I'm never in any of the places I'm sent to?"

A short quiet ensued. Then an elderly woman in a green hooded robe raised her hand. "Young one, I cannot speak for the gods, but I am happy to entertain your question on my own terms." "Speak on," I gestured to her.

"Now, a god is not responsible for the words of some errant peasant who speaks in his name, agreed?" "That would be silly, I agree."

"Good. Then perhaps we can see some truth and some falsehood in the idea. Perhaps you are led here. Perhaps you are here by coincidence. Or perhaps you're simply following your own path and being borrowed from time to time for divine purposes."

I furrowed my brow. "I'm certain no one made me come here. The greatest intervention by anyone has been the Acolyte himself sending me that letter."

Her face softened with pity. "Child, a proper intervention would be rarely seen. People would feel like stage dolls if they were ordered to go here and there, do this and that. Put a boulder in a horse's path, and will he walk over it or around it?"

"Around it," I answered. She nodded, "And it's the horse's choice, but you led it to do that thing. Who can say that those pirates, or that Mages Guild, or anything else in your path was not the will of someone intervening?"

"I'm not placing the burden of random events in my life on divine beings. Where's the proof?" I shot back.

She shrugged. "I cannot help you. These are mere ideas that float in an old woman's head, stewing and cooking over the years." She leaned on her walking stick and added, "But let's assume you are here for a purpose. Not everyone needs to be a legendary hero to be led by the divine."

"Consider you own a house and you have tools for maintenance, such as the saw and the hammer. You leave them alone most of the time, but when you need them, you know where they are, and you get them. If that is true of the inanimate, what can be said of you and me?" she explained with a wink.

"So you mean that we choose what we do most of the time, and get absorbed into some higher purpose on occasion," I summarized. She nodded calmly, and added, "If you believe that, who can say whether any given action in your life isn't for some higher purpose?"

"And how would these beings be prescient, then?" I asked. She chuckled, "That's the least of your concerns! If even Uriel Septim can see the future when he needs to, who can say less of Dibella or Arkay?"

I shook my head. "Quite frankly, I don't believe it. This is all just theory, and you can't prove any of it."

"A fair point, child. I don't claim to be able to. But it may be food for thought wherever you find yourself out in this cruel world." She finished speaking and put her hood on.

"Thank you for making the attempt," I said. "You seem to carry yourself with some authority. What do you do here at the temple?"

"I'm the daedra summoner for this location, child." My eyes shot open and I blurted out, "You're the WHAT?"

Everyone else had been quite entertained with our theological chat, but their attention was drawn to the door, for someone was entering. A small detachment of guards entered and began looking into the hall. "Kalaron Spellire?"

I was taken aback. What were guards doing here looking for me? "I've done nothing illegal," I told them.

The two in back laughed, and the leader kept a dignified smile on his face. "No, we have no reason to believe you have. This is an official summons. The Countess of Menevia, Belladorya Hawkham, is holding a ceremony here in Baelbrone in your honor for your good deed in preserving the life of the noble Chrystayne Copperton. Please arrive at the palace tomorrow one hour after midday." His two fellows saluted, and the troop exited the temple. Once the door closed, everyone inside began to whisper and murmur excitedly.

"Spread the word about the ceremony! The elf here is getting a celebration! What's your name again, elf-man?"

"Kalaron Spellire," I said, still in shock at the announcement. I sought my connection to nobility, and it came racing to me. The volume level in the temple gradually grew, and rumors started to fly. I asked the closest person, "Does that mean the Countess is here in Baelbrone?"

She shook her head. "No, the Countess gets full rights to teleportation and every other privilege of the guilds." My eyes grew wide. "Teleportation, to anywhere?" She nodded, "To Akavir if she wants it, they say."

I made as graceful an exit as I could from the temple and walked back to the Gold Hedgehog. When I saw Ancano, all I could say was, "These Bretons are a wild people, old friend."

This update was short enough to include here. It's mainly to assuage people's concerns that Kalaron might be a "chosen one." Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I want to give people the choice to believe what they want.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Part XIV: Belladorya Hawkham

I returned to my room to rest. I doubted I would be useful for anything anyway, with this ceremony hanging over my head. I tried to sleep after the long ordeal of the rescue, but sleep fled from me. Questions raced around my mind. Did I need to wear anything special? How many people would be attending? What kind of demeanor should I have during this event? Was I expected to take any guests with me? It's not as though I had any friends here anyway. I was certain my request to have Ancano along would be met with derision.

In the early evening, a knock sounded on my door. "Elf! Your time's up. Come back to the front and rent it for another day." I slowly got up and headed to the front.

I wrote my name in the registry. The bartender glanced at it, and then said it out loud. "Kalaron Spellire. Wait a minute, you're the one with the ceremony, right? The award they're presenting tomorrow, that's for you! Hey everyone! Take a look here, this elf's gonna be famous!" I wanted to shrink, or perhaps find a hole to consume me. The tavern guests shouted, clapped, and raised their mugs in hearty cheering.

I politely waved at them and turned again to the bartender. "What do I have to pay till morning?"

"51 gold pieces?! Are you insane?" I asked. He shook his head. "Half the province is coming into Baelbrone tonight to await your ceremony, Spellire. All the taverns are raising their rates. If we do this right, we'll have earned enough money to carry us for months. It's just business, is all." He gestured to the window and added, "You can always try camping outdoors before your big festival, if you're brave enough." I scoffed and paid him his exorbitant fee. "I'm not coming back tomorrow," I added. He shrugged and answered, "Sorry to see you go. Like I said, everyone's in this boat. Don't kill the messenger."

Back in my room, I tossed and turned, all my worries jabbing me in the night. It all seemed eternal to me. I started to ridicule myself. This wasn't even a dangerous prospect! What did I have to do? Watch and listen for thirty minutes? I became disgusted with my cowardice. My wrath overcame my fear, and I dozed off until the sun's rays poked through the window. I don't think I slept more than three hours.

I tried to avoid the bartender on my way out, but he gestured to come close. "Listen to me, friend. That woman, the Countess. Don't trust a word she says. People like me, we know better. She's just as bad as any of us. Turn your back and see her put a dagger in it, they says." I leaned on the counter and asked quietly, "That may be what they say. But how do you know anything about her?" He stared back and paused. "Listen here, mate. People like me, we know things. This tavern has heard every story from Dragontail to Balfiera and back. Some are false, I give you that. But you want pure information, become a barfly here. You'll hear the truth, I guarantee it." I still wasn't convinced. "You haven't met her, have you?" I pressed him. He shook his head. "Nope, and I don't want to. I pity you for having to sit next to her. Enjoy your ceremony. I hope you change your mind and stay here tonight. Our rates will be back to normal."

"Hail Kalaron Spellire, hero of Baelbrone!" The two jesters flapped their arms, inciting another toast from the patrons. "This is what my 51 gold is going to," I thought bitterly.

I stepped out into the cold morning air. The rain of the previous day had let up. It would be a fine day to be outdoors.

I walked through the streets. No one recognized me, it seemed. For all the talk of being a hero, I would have much preferred to be a no-one in these Breton lands. Fame and popularity did not interest me in the slightest, except to the extent they helped me get back home.

Finally, the time came. I knocked on the palace door. A heavily-armed guard let me in and showed me to a steward.

"Kalaron! Welcome! Make yourself comfortable. We're just preparing the Lady for the day. It'll take awhile longer. Do you have any questions?"

I asked, "Just one. Who exactly did I save?"

He chuckled. "Chrystayne Copperton is a friend of the Countess, and is in charge of the banking system across all Menevia. She personally oversees all commercial loans and plans the collection of debts past due. Only she and Lady Hawkham are authorized to do so. Had we lost her, business across Menevia would have come to a halt for some time. Bad business, as they say!" He nervously showed me to a parlor where I could sit and wait.

I heard some talking nearby, and when it seemed no one was looking, sneaked over to the doorway. There I saw a young Breton -- in her early 20s perhaps -- surrounded by servants applying make-up and combing her hair.

Once I came into view, she shrieked and a guard pulled me away. "Master Spellire, please do not disturb Lady Hawkham. Wait here until you're called for. Thank you."

Then I saw a dark-skinned figure, serious in demeanor, place herself in the doorway. She watched over Lady Hawkham with a firm determination. I couldn't sense anything hostile in her, but her rigid stance suggested she was ready to start slicing things or people at the slightest provocation. Even the city guards seemed to keep a healthy distance from her.

"Pardon me, who is that Redguard?" I quietly asked the steward when he next passed by. "That is Maira, Lady Hawkham's personal bodyguard, and one of the finest warriors in all Alik'r. Please do not make her upset. Her fastest known kill took three-fifths of a second." If I needed any more reason to keep away from the Countess, this Maira provided it.

Within twenty minutes I was ushered outdoors into a waiting chair by the palace entrance. Lady Hawkham soon followed and took a seat next to me. Maira stood directly behind her and gazed out into the crowds.

Swarms of people sat down on the grass outside the palace and watched attentively as a noble took to a stand and shouted, "Gentlemen, ladies, and friends of Menevia! We gather here today to recognize a truly heroic act, the saving of a life of Menevian royalty! We have..." The sun bore down on my head and distracted me from all the talk. It's not as though I wanted to listen, anyway. All this talking seemed frivolous to me.

"...without which all Menevia would have mourned! Let our thanks be to Summerset for sending us this fine specimen of an elf, Kalaron Spellfire!" The people clapped and cheered. I winced at hearing my name said wrong. My biggest hope was that people would forget all about me the following day, including this "Spellfire" invention.

I grew bored as the speech went on and on. Fifteen minutes passed. It appeared as though the man had lost track of what to say and was going into an extended history of Menevia itself.

The very Countess was beside me. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to make myself known to her. I leaned over and whispered, "Hello." She didn't answer, just looked out at the crowd with a fixed gaze. I suspected she wasn't listening at all.

"It's a good thing the rain gave up last night," I attempted. "Quiet," she whispered back. Only then did I notice how tense she was. Her fingers grabbed at the fabric of her dress. Her gaze out at the crowd was harsh, apparently filled with fear. I felt dismayed at having ruined my one chance to speak to her.

The steward boomed, "And a special surprise from Kalaron's friends in the Mages Guild, enjoy this presentation of lights and fire up above!" I turned my neck up and saw a series of colorful explosions in the sky. The crowd cheered and clapped at the sight, wondering how the mages could make fire appear in the sky. Even I as a fellow mage was impressed at the work they presented.

"Let's give one last applause and cheer for Kalaron Spellfire for keeping Menevia functioning!", the steward shouted. The ground rumbled under the sound of their yelling. I waved at them and smiled as best I could. I hated being the center of attention.

When the applause died down, the people started standing up and dispersing. Some small pockets of people took clever positioning to see if they could encounter the Countess on her way out, hoping for some favor or another. She didn't get up. Maira put her hands on the back of the chair and waited.

Lady Hawkham then sighed and said, "I'm so glad that's over. I hate these big ceremonies the people put on." I didn't know whether to answer her. Did she still want me to be quiet? She looked over at me and I could feel her eyes go up and down, studying me quickly.

All of a sudden my throat seemed tied together. The Countess wanted to know about me? I tried to put one word in front of another, but I just sputtered a bit. Both Maira and Lady Hawkham laughed. The Redguard said, "I know she's pretty, but it's a simple question." "Maira!" Lady Hawkham scoffed, slapping her on the hand.

"No, it isn't about that," I insisted. "I'm just not good at speaking altogether. All of this ceremony leaves me completely out of my depth." The Countess nodded vigorously, "Oh, tell me about it. I hate having to do this every few weeks. If it were up to me, I'd stay on my farmstead and never leave. Give me a good pile of books and just let me sign finance papers all year, and by Arkay I will ask no more!"

As I listened to her, I seemed to see myself in her words. She even spoke like me.

Maira then rested on the back of the chair and said, "But really, we don't know anything about you. Tell us your story. What're you doing here?" I tried to summarize my story as much as I could, to take up as little of their time as possible. They seemed deeply interested, though. "Oh wow, you rode through the Alik'r Desert all by yourself? I could never do that," Maira said. She and the Countess asked question after question, pulling more and more information from me. I started to worry. Were they trying to seek some information to take advantage of me, to blackmail me? If so, I would never be able to detect it. All this social matter was so far beyond my level, my only recourse was to be honest and hope for the best.

Once I was finished, the two women exchanged glances and said, "Oh, that is horrible. You must miss your home so much, don't you?" I nodded. Were it not for their royal prerogative, they both seemed inclined to wrap me up in a big hug. "Wow, we have to do something about that. If you want to get to Summerset, there must be something we can do," Lady Hawkham said.

I couldn't believe my ears. Those peasants had to be wrong. No matter how many of them said this woman was evil, they were all wrong. Right? Weren't they?

I suggested innocently, "The Mages Guild has the power to do that, but they won't do it. Apparently they'd only help someone of 'greater importance.'" The Countess nodded, "They'd do it for me, no question. But I don't know if I could convince them to send you off." I furrowed my brow. "They wouldn't just do it at your command?" She shook her head and answered, "No, they're picky. They want to make sure I'm on the hook for some favor of theirs. Filthy rats. When you've been a noble for long enough, you realize every single peasant in this stupid region is out to get you. Either your money, or your land, or your title, or... worse things," she cuts herself off, shuddering.

The steward then came out the door and whispered to Maira. She nodded and relayed, "It looks like they're cooking a meal here in the palace. Do you want to join us, Master Spellfire?" "Sure! But to be clear, it's Spellire. They got my name wrong." Both women turned pale. "I cannot believe this!" The Countess shrieked, pounding the chair with her fist. "The whole point of this was to celebrate you and they didn't even bother with your name? Someone's getting beheaded for this, I swear!" Maira put her hand on the Lady's shoulder and reassured her, "It's okay, it's okay. He'll be fine, and we'll correct it over time. Don't worry. Master Spellire, then?"

I followed them into the dining hall and took a seat beside the two of them. The rest of the afternoon was spent in the first enjoyable conversation I had taken part in since I left the College. They told me how they had met, how Lady Hawkham inherited the throne after her father was killed in a recent war with the Orcs, and that neither of them enjoyed the royalty they possessed. Lord Hawkham never trained her in anything related to regional management, and she had waded through agony and embarrassment for the first few years. She wasn't expected to take the throne for another decade, at least. We went on for hours and hours, and I truly let my defenses down. No more did I see the ruling lady of Menevia and her staunch bodyguard. These were two young women, laughing and sorrowing with all their hearts. How could the people say such awful things about them?

Maira eventually leaned in and whispered something to Lady Hawkham. "Oh, stop it!" The Countess slapped her arm and laughed. "What's wrong?" I asked, not wanting to be left out. "Well, my wonderful bodyguard has this ridiculous idea," the monarch tittered. "The people keep urging me to be 'betrothed' so I can be the legitimate monarch of Menevia. Until you're married, they think you're an immature little girl. Like marriage actually makes you a capable ruler or something!" She laughed derisively. "So of course, she whispers to me, 'Hey, this fellow seems like an awfully nice one, maybe you should think about it.'" Maira's face burned, though she kept her smile on.

I was stunned. Now I knew this was going somewhere I should not go. I wondered how to explain things.

"Well... I need to talk about that. Among the High Elves, having a child with another race is strictly looked down on. To have a half-Breton, half-elf child would be a perpetual shame to both myself and it." I started. Maira waved the idea away. "No, no, not children! I'm not telling you to sleep with her or something. She's not a floozy! It's simple, like this. The two of you get betrothed. Once you get married, you get teleported off to Summerset Isle, the Mages Guild gets bribed to burn its teleportation records, and no one ever finds out about you again. She says you died in a horse racing accident or something. No messiness with children, the marriage is over, and you're back home. All loose ends tied up!"

I blurted out, "So a sham marriage?" That wiped the smile off their faces pretty quickly, but they continued.

"Yeah, a sham, if you wanna call it that. But it's not like it even matters, does it? I don't want to be married, and you need some way to convince the Mages Guild. If you're my husband, they'll think they're really getting one over on us!" Lady Hawkham cheered. "I'd love to stick it to them and say, 'Actually, I have no husband. Goodbye!'"

Maira went on, "Oh yeah, it could be simple. We could have a nice, private ceremony out here with a few key witnesses. They could..."

The two women went on, entranced with their schemes. They nodded, laughed, and argued. All the while, I started getting wrapped up in my own thoughts, droning them out. Until this morning, I thought this woman was pond scum. Now she's proposing a sham marriage to me to get me back to Summerset? I could think of several things that could go wrong with her plan. She was making it all sound too simple. Right? Wasn't I right?

"...Hey, Kalaron! Kalaron, you still here? Come back to us!" Lady Hawkham snapped her fingers in front of my face with a laugh. "Sorry, I got a bit lost there," I answered.

Maira crossed her arms. "So we've got a pretty good scheme here. I bet we could make it work. Worst thing that could happen is it all unravels, the Countess here loses her throne, and we all scatter off like rats to live somewhere else!" The two of them laughed again. They truly were the best of friends.

I, on the other hand, could see a lot of things going wrong with this plan. The most vulnerable one of all was me. What if she took back her word? Were they just setting me up for some other scheme of theirs? Could all those peasants be wrong about these women?

Lady Hawkham narrowed her eyes and grinned, "I think we need to hear from you. Are you in, or are you out?"

It's decision time!

For those reading the thread in real time, it's Kalaron's final decision in the LP. Does he trust Lady Hawkham and Maira to carry out this sham marriage, so he can return to Summerset? Or will he renounce their help? Vote now!

I apologize for doing almost entirely text updates lately, but we're setting up for the endgame here. This LP could have gone on for a long time, but I think it's had a good run and served for demonstration purposes. Maybe at some other time a new character and a longer story could start, but this is okay for a trial run through DFU.

pango

Post by pango »

Those two sound like trouble. However I'm not sure how he could actually reject the offer, much less go back to normal business in the region after that.
Also, the lure of going back to his homeland seem strong. I vote IN
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Agreed with Pango.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Yeah this is damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. That said, I can think of worse long term consequences for declining than accepting, so my vote is to go with it

Khrabanas

Post by Khrabanas »

The hard part is not collecting the pictures: it's extrapolating from what (limited) information the game gives you and turning it into a cohesive whole. Sometimes that necessitates a lengthier passage of text or three. You shouldn't feel like you have to apologize for it. Of course, I may be biased here since I'm guilty of the same.

As for Kalaron, he knows by now that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Even if his reputation here in Menevia tanks as a result of the lady launching a smear campaign against him for not accepting, however, he's proven that he can more or less fend for himself if push comes to shove. Assassins might be a different matter, I suppose, but that seems like a hardly practical solution when Kalaron is in no good position to say a word against Hawkham anyways—not much to gain by that route, fiscally or politically. Not to mention, the lady may resent the position she's been put in, but it doesn't require an elaborate scheme to give it up and she could have done so without his intervention already. That plan stinks all the way to Sovngarde; no way they're just going to skip town and not get up to some other schemes that might require the palm-greasing required of nobility's lofty height and means.

Plus, he's realized he doesn't need his tutors anymore; he can accomplish what he technically set out for almost anywhere. "Home" would just amount to a set of walls and a roof at that point. Would he even still fit in with where he came from or where he was originally going? If not, "home" is more like "prison." Maybe he needs to rethink why he's deadset on going back to the isles, especially considering the political intrigue of Altmer society is just as harrowing, if not more so.

I vote "Get the hell out of dodge ASAP"; call me a loon, but this has too many flies buzzing around it for me to say 'this crap don't smell'.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

So... how did Kalaron decide? Is he well?

Very nice read, thanks for posting it!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I will finish this at some point (I have the ending planned out), but not yet. I want to put the proper work into it. I can't guarantee it'll be an amazing ending or anything; it'll be satisfactory to the story, that's all. I do want to end this so I can put it behind me and look at other commitments, to be sure. But right now it's not weighing down on me much.