Strength or Agility for Bow damage?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Seferoth

Strength or Agility for Bow damage?

Post by Seferoth »

Which one increases damage done with bows in Daggerfall, Agility or Strength?

Ralzar

Re: Strength or Agility for Bow damage?

Post by Ralzar »

Strength specifically says Hand-to-Hand, so I would assume bows either base everything of Archery, use Agility (which I doubt) or simply use the damage rating of the bow with no modifier.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

did you ever find out?

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Regnier wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 am did you ever find out?
Nope. I gave up on bows, seems a bit...bad in this game. Even with 100 agility, 100 archery and a good bow you miss like half your shots.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This might have improved in the latest builds. I also tried an archer a while back and it was a complete pain because of some kind of invisible geometry or something causing arrows to not even count as being shot at the enemy. So no tohit roll was even made.
I seem to remember some work being put into fixing it. But I have considered making a small archery mod that simply gave you a combat text log. So you at least could tell if you managed to aim at the enemy so a toHit roll was made :D

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

With my Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul mod, there are alot more ways to get your bow damage values up. But honestly, like Ralzar said, most of the missing is probably down to the 3D arrow object colliding with seemingly "none obstructive" geometry and such. The reason bows were more useful in vanilla was just the fact the arrows had no collision and ignored any and all walls. :P

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Magicono43 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:29 pm With my Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul mod, there are alot more ways to get your bow damage values up. But honestly, like Ralzar said, most of the missing is probably down to the 3D arrow object colliding with seemingly "none obstructive" geometry and such. The reason bows were more useful in vanilla was just the fact the arrows had no collision and ignored any and all walls. :P
Perhaps arrows should still have no collision and ignore walls. I rather have working archery instead of whatever this is that unity currently has. It still has problems, it's like the game sometimes just decides that you simply cannot hit enemy anymore regardless of your stats or bow.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:25 pm
Magicono43 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:29 pm With my Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul mod, there are alot more ways to get your bow damage values up. But honestly, like Ralzar said, most of the missing is probably down to the 3D arrow object colliding with seemingly "none obstructive" geometry and such. The reason bows were more useful in vanilla was just the fact the arrows had no collision and ignored any and all walls. :P
Perhaps arrows should still have no collision and ignore walls. I rather have working archery instead of whatever this is that unity currently has. It still has problems, it's like the game sometimes just decides that you simply cannot hit enemy anymore regardless of your stats or bow.
ive had headaches with this as well, i wonder if when it happens you could switch hands back and forth or reequip the bow, or maybe turn off and on the roleplay settings? Maybe something like that fixes it for now.

It is definitely annoying and immersion breaking and deadly and so on lol. apparently a similar thing with magic projectiles so itll be fixed by 1.0

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Please check viewtopic.php?p=59469#p59469, I believe I've fixed the issues discussed here