Crouch - gameplay purpose?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teralitha

Re: Crouch - gameplay purpose?

Post by Teralitha »

Sneaking "should" appear conspicuous(if you are spotted), as the purpose of sneaking is to avoid being seen/heard. That logic seems backwards to me.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 am Sneaking "should" appear conspicuous(if you are spotted), as the purpose of sneaking is to avoid being seen/heard. That logic seems backwards to me.
If you're sneaking, you don't want to be seen - i.e. you don't want to be conspicuous (a fancy way of saying "easily spotted"). Not saying whether I agree with the logic, though.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

There are one or two places in the game where crouch is useful.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 am
Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 am Sneaking "should" appear conspicuous(if you are spotted), as the purpose of sneaking is to avoid being seen/heard. That logic seems backwards to me.
If you're sneaking, you don't want to be seen - i.e. you don't want to be conspicuous (a fancy way of saying "easily spotted"). Not saying whether I agree with the logic, though.
Appearing conspicuous has more to do with your appearance, rather than the actual act of sneaking. (except when you appear to be sneaking) Using that word doesnt really fit the argument against crouch/sneak. You can appear conspicious without sneaking.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 am Appearing conspicuous has more to do with your appearance, rather than the actual act of sneaking. Using that word doesnt really fit the argument against crouch/sneak. You can appear conspicious without sneaking.
Just pointing out that some people made an argument that crouching instead of e.g. "blending in" with a crowd by just walking like everyone else would make you more obvious (i.e. less "stealthy") in many situations, not less. Just repeating the reasoning that apparently went into this at one time. And that's exactly the point - sneaking and appearing conspicuous are and should be polar opposites.

To put an end to my little digression - some people thought crouching would likely make you appear less stealthy.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:09 am
Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 am Appearing conspicuous has more to do with your appearance, rather than the actual act of sneaking. Using that word doesnt really fit the argument against crouch/sneak.
Just pointing out that some people made an argument that crouching instead of e.g. "blending in" with a crowd by just walking like everyone else would make you more obvious (i.e. less "stealthy") in many situations, not less. Just repeating the reasoning that apparently went into this at one time.
Blending in is not sneaking though. Do you blend in with the dungeon inhabitants? maybe hanging around the ancient lich as though you were one of his friends? That is not sneaking. Thats something else. That would be more like a "disguise" or infiltration skill, which daggerfall does not have. I think people have conflated wearing a disguise and 'blending in" with actual sneaking which is trying not to be seen or heard AT ALL. Crouching helps you do that.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Some of my best friends are liches. Don't hate.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 am Some of my best friends are liches. Don't hate.
But they are smelly... come visit this dungeon full of nymphs.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:18 am
mikeprichard wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 am Some of my best friends are liches. Don't hate.
But they are smelly... come visit this dungeon full of nymphs.
Good thing my faction skill is Nymph.

...and no, I don't know what that means. I think this is the third topic I've derailed today, so I've hit my quota - later, folks.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

I should have said, come sneak over to the nymph dungeon. Try not to look conspicuous.
Last edited by Teralitha on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.