Push To Exit Pre-Alpha

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Push To Exit Pre-Alpha

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am
Interkarma wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 pm We're getting very close to 0.5 being done. I'd like to start wrapping up this feature line and move to a stable build soon for my own mental health. :)

A big thanks to everyone involved in the core. We're nearly there, you guys! Just a little bit further to go now and this thing is on the home stretch.
Hooray for mental health! :) I know I've said it before, but this is the last big challenge. After that it's all refinement. Then we can talk about your retirement plan :)

Have you spent some time just playing DFU with some of the new mods and quests? I really love it. Nobody would mind if you took some time to recharge once the new build is out.
I agree; health is more important than hobbies. And I love to play DFU. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am Have you spent some time just playing DFU with some of the new mods and quests? I really love it. Nobody would mind if you took some time to recharge once the new build is out.
I really want to do this quite badly. Just sit back and enjoy this thing we've all made. During testing, I sometimes find myself getting lost in different parts of the game, enjoying playing the stuff others have contributed that I haven't encountered outside of code review and testing.

I'll be able to breath a bit easier once 0.5 stable is done. That's the real turning point for me. Everything after that is like cool water compared to what we've already been through.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:18 am I agree; health is more important than hobbies. And I love to play DFU. :)
Thank you, I love hearing that it helps keep me motivated. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Last build is insanely good, so much new stuff. I was waiting for a thread about it to pop up so I can voice my praises there, but I think you guys are so occupied with the core that even this must wait. And I totally get it. But all thumbs up from me, this push is impressive. I check the new additions on the git everyday, eventho I understand just a half of it :) and yes, find some time for a rest guys, this must have been heavy!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers KoW! Aiming to have that article up this weekend. Work has been keeping me busy nights and weekends lately, but finally have a weekend to myself coming up.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This thing is so close to being done, and it feels sooo good to finally need magic, and get skill for casting, and all the other stuff.
You should play your game for awhile, like I'm doing..
It is pretty fun..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Just wanted to say that the game feels great and so smooth! I'm pretty stodgy when it comes to classic games but I'm not afraid to admit that they don't run as smoothly as they should sometimes, especially when you need to use DOSBox! And the advanced climbing is great too, really adds a lot to the game and feels like something that should have been in from the start. I'm eager to see y'all cross the milestone for 0.5. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years Daggerfall Unity is the new most-active Elder Scrolls modding scene, just because this game has so much space and potential for extra content, and the tooling and setup y'all have provided for modding the game looks so easy and efficient.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for your kind words everyone. :)

Now that enemies are casting spells, I'm calling 0.5 and moving into 0.6. I've relocated some items out of 0.5 into 0.6 and 0.7 of the roadmap.

This doesn't really change my schedule at all, as 0.6 and 0.7 were already mostly complete and I'm still working on things in the same general order. But I feel the need to take a brief pause and focus on quality over quantity for the next few weeks. I'm planning to run down some of the bugs reported recently and fix more bugs in classic quests.

I'm also going to ease up on myself a little bit. The last couple of months have been particularly hard with so much work flowing through this game and life in general. My health and happiness have been suffering. We've finally hit that tipping point to the downhill run, which should be something to celebrate and feel great about. Instead I just feel exhausted and numb. A short break from magic while I chase some bugs and return to other systems will refresh me. I'm also trying to cut back on my working hours throughout November until I come out the other side.

pango

Post by pango »

Holy Cow!
I was traveling in the Alcaire seaside using tedious travel when I got magically attacked by a nightblade! I'm not sure what he used at close range (Shock maybe?) but he almost killed me (but killed himself in the process). It's something to read that NPCs can use magic and to experience it, I was still surprised!
Later I got attacked by orc shamans (shamen?) fireballs... They're not very precise, so not much of a threat, and also it helped a lot locate them in the wilderness 8-)
I'm sure the AI will be improved, but this is still a huge change in gameplay, great!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interkarma, your decission to ease up and rest is absolutely understandable. This push was very intense -I can hardly imagine it - and the results are huge + ofc the RL stuff added to it. Thats a lot of energy. Its important to not overdo things, even if those things are our passion, like DFU is ;) Thank You for everything you and the whole team did for this game so far! Its crazy :twisted: