Upgrading to Unity 2018.2.x

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Upgrading to Unity 2018.2.x

Post by Interkarma »

Since making the big jump to Unity 2018.1 in June, we now have Unity 2018.2 available and out of beta. There are a couple of specific features in Unity 2018.2 I'd like to take advantage of - high on the list is built-in support for TextMesh Pro with SDF font rendering.

Part of my mission later in the project's lifecycle is to improve text support for language mods, and to allow for more beautiful text in-game. This isn't a trivial problem to solve and needs to integrate with Daggerfall's somewhat awkward UI and text formatting conventions. But these problems are a whole lot easier to solve with the new text API available in Unity 2018.2.

There are also several other features our mod community could take advantage of, such as the new material designer and VideoPlayer for high-resolution movie mods.

Going from Unity 5.5 to 2018.1 was a huge jump and carried a lot of big changes in parallel. By comparison, shifting to 2018.2 should be relatively minor. I'm running some basic tests now just to scope out the work, but so far it's looking like a rather simple upgrade from where we are now.

Before I make this official, I'm reaching out for any feedback from our developers and mod community.

Jay_H

Re: Upgrading to Unity 2018.2.x

Post by Jay_H »

Nothing to contribute but to say thank you for your dedication. Your unpaid work will translate into something magnificent for a lot of people :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Jay. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Seems like a good idea to me.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just letting everyone know that I have updated project to Unity 2018.2.11f1 as the new recommended baseline.

I will be using this version for development and Cloud Build target moving forwards. I've also dropped a topic in modder forums so modders know to repackage their graphical .dfmods under this version.

Unless there's a pressing reason to do so, I don't plan to update past 2018.2.x as build target for the foreseeable future. This will hopefully be our stable baseline all the way through to release and beyond.