Nerf the run skill

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Midknightprince

Nerf the run skill

Post by Midknightprince »

So I'm thinking its way higher than classic.
You guys would know way better than me, I am just telling you how its playing out.
Every single guy I have is @ 100 running.
Now I know it goes up fast in classic.
But this new guy I started, is 30 already, and I have been consciously try not to run, and I'm only lvl 4.
So basically you can't run or you're going to Max your run skill.
And there's a skill cap of 95 once one skill reaches 100.
So everybody is going to be a Master Splinter no matter what if they run.
Just something to think about, if you want to test it go for it, it's a lot of running, I'm just telling you how it's playing out for me.
I have to walk everywhere, it's a miscellaneous skill that started at like 4 I think, maybe 5 maybe 6.
I think maybe just split the skill gain in half if you can, and see what happens.
It's still going to go up if you run, you just won't be a master in a week.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Narf the Mouse

Re: Nerf the run skill

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Edit: Or I could be wrong. That does sound too fast. In which case, bug report, I guess?

Running increases that fast in Classic, as well. So this is more of a mod thing, I think. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

I put in the running skill increase in Daggerfall Unity a while ago, and tried to match it to classic. Although it's possible I made a mistake or something has broken it in the meantime so that it's going even faster than classic now, I think it's probably just that the skill rises very fast in classic. It seems to be somewhat tied to FPS in classic, and the accuracy of the timing in DOSBox or whatever you use to play classic could be somewhat of a factor here. I used DOSBox or one of its variants for the rate that's in Daggerfall Unity. Also there are lots of oddities in the original game so it's also possible it's not working as intended in classic, but for now it's just matched to that.

Midknightprince

I'm thinking I should have mentioned I manually ran/walked to quite a few dungeons with most (ALL) of those guys, and this new one, so in hindsight it could be just me..

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Midknightprince wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 pm I'm thinking I should have mentioned I manually ran/walked to quite a few dungeons with most (ALL) of those guys, and this new one, so in hindsight it could be just me..
I don't think fast travel normally counts towards your running skill in Classic.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Midknightprince

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm
Midknightprince wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 pm I'm thinking I should have mentioned I manually ran/walked to quite a few dungeons with most (ALL) of those guys, and this new one, so in hindsight it could be just me..
I don't think fast travel normally counts towards your running skill in Classic.
No, I ran to these places manually.
No fast travel, and this new guy is at 31 at lvl 5, it could just be how I played.
I forgot I used to walk everywhere, before the inconvenient travel mod....

Flylighter

Post by Flylighter »

When I was younger, I'd sometimes make characters that had running as a primary skill and jumping as a major skill, and then I would literally just run and jump around the starting cave room until I was level 4. Between those two skills, some climbing on that brace between the cave and the hallway, and random spurts of Medical skill, it wasn't all that hard to do, and I'd routinely find myself north of 50 running before ever stepping foot outside Privateer's Hold.

In my current DOS playthrough, I tried doing it again, and it wasn't hard at all (although I only went to level 3 this time before leaving the room). It took me maybe 20 minutes of playtime to level to 3 and get out of Privateer's Hold, so it's not like I had to run for two minutes solid in between 6-hour rests to level up the skills! I don't know what my running skill was at when I left the first dungeon, but I'm 89 now with barely a month of in-game calendar past.

I do think that it just really was that easy in DOS Daggerfall. It is similarly easy to level jumping if you bunnyhop everywhere, and climbing as well if you vault the city walls a few times.

Consequence of Grace

Post by Consequence of Grace »

Midknightprince wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:46 pm And there's a skill cap of 95 once one skill reaches 100.
That's really horrible. It's a long time since that happened to me. I thought there'd been a fix to that (not in Unity, I've not tried it yet). It's ludicrous for everyone to be a Grand Master Sprinter.

But I also seem to recall that once you hit Master of a Skill, no more skills would improve at all. That was when the original CD would run in Windows!

But I also thought that Miscellaneous skills could normally not go above 95 anyway? So it was more of a bane for an Acrobat or something.

I made a Mystic Shaolin Monk that was sort of an Acrobat/Magick User, and he made enchanted items that got a lot of skills to 160 or more, anyway.

:)

Midknightprince

I'm thinking its all the player movement skills except swimming.
Climbing is now under threat of taking over as my highest skill.

This stuff is just so much fun to do now, I honestly can't help it.
I literally have to climb every castle wall of every town I come into, and when I'm waiting for the Mages Guild to open ?
Forget about it.
You guys just have fun playing the game and use those skills and see what you think, for me every time I rest one of those were going up simply because I'm always doing it, because it is fun.

It's emergent gameplay, I don't think anybody really ran across the continent in Daggerfall manually and had fun, so something to think about I'll leave it there.
Whatever you guys decide I'm cool with it, I am so happy at this point :D

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

perhaps how the skill cap works could be changed from only being able to have 1 skill at 100 to something like all primary skills being able to hit 100 all major skills capping at 95 all minor skills capping at 90 and misc skills capping at 80