Sound effects documentation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
alphaTECH

Sound effects documentation

Post by alphaTECH »

I'm embarking on the massive job of overhauling DAGGER.SND to add dynamic to the world's sound effects without changing the originals. Problem is, I'm not quite sure where many of them are used, if they are used at all. I have managed to identify and tune all town sounds and I'm really happy with the result, so I want to push on with the rest, but after spending about twenty minutes attempting to document dungeon sounds, I realized I'm a little bit out of my league here.

It's not impossible to continue, just slow and frustrating. I've attempted to find some sort of human-readable SFX table within the files but had no luck, so I'm guessing it's all hardcoded in the executable. Has the DFUnity team:

- Documented SFX IDs and what the sound is?
- Found out which SFX are actually used?

Any information you guys can provide would be much appreciated :)

Jay_H

Re: Sound effects documentation

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

Inside a DFU install, go to /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Tables to the file Quests-Sounds.txt. It'll give a full enumeration of all sounds in Daggerfall, along with their index numbers.

As for which are used and unused, that's not something I've found organized yet. I can say from my limited experience that the majority of numbers lower than 10000 are not used at all in the game.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Thanks for the fast reply Jay! I haven't actually installed DFUnity yet, I'm waiting for 1.0 before I move over from OG Daggerfall. Would it be possible for you to forward that document over to me? PMed you my email address :)

pango

Post by pango »

Hi Helegad,

The DFU sources are online, so I think the file Jay_H is mentioning is:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... Sounds.txt
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Ah, thanks for the link :D Jay emailed me a copy too.

So if I'm understanding this right, these are the only sounds the game engine is aware of? If so that leaves about 170 unused SFX, and even more within the list!

It would be nice to get that crowd ambience implemented, it would add even more warmth to the towns.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's a more comprehensive list (with comments) of sound effects in the SoundClips.cs enum inside code. This is what the game uses internally, the other table was imported for compatibility with TEMPLATE.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ndClips.cs

Almost all of these sound effects are used somewhere. Notable exceptions are:

43-62, 390-412 (pain sounds)
441-450 (people sounds)

pango

Post by pango »

Helegad wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:17 am It would be nice to get that crowd ambience implemented, it would add even more warmth to the towns.
Yes please :)
That was the main reason for my interest for some unofficial quest...
It turns out the quest does nothing fancy with that party chatter sound, just enable it when you enter a building
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am There's a more comprehensive list (with comments) of sound effects in the SoundClips.cs enum inside code. This is what the game uses internally, the other table was imported for compatibility with TEMPLATE.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ndClips.cs

Almost all of these sound effects are used somewhere. Notable exceptions are:

43-62, 390-412 (pain sounds)
441-450 (people sounds)
Thank you, that's a big help :)

How about the Arena sounds and the twenty odd sets of male footsteps and grunts? Have they been heard anywhere in the game?

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

How about the Arena sounds and the twenty odd sets of male footsteps and grunts? Have they been heard anywhere in the game?
The Arena sounds are generally unused but I think a few are sometimes heard with a few triggers in dungeons. The only one I can think of for sure is the guard at the entrance of Castle Daggerfall plays the sound of the lizardman from Arena when you click on him, for some reason. But there are probably a few others, such as when you click certain doors in some dungeons such as the main castles and Orsinium. Honestly this feature seems like it may be a little goofed up in the original game because the sounds don't seem to make sense. I wonder if the sound IDs or the sounds themselves got switched around at some point or something. Or maybe they're intended as they are, who knows.

The "twenty odd sets of male footsteps and grunts" are probably placeholder sounds for giving to the enemy NPCs (Warriors, Mages, etc.), but they ended up being silent in the original game.

pango

Post by pango »

R.D. wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 am Honestly this feature seems like it may be a little goofed up in the original game because the sounds don't seem to make sense. I wonder if the sound IDs or the sounds themselves got switched around at some point or something. Or maybe they're intended as they are, who knows.
Wondered the same about the bell sounds in book shops too., it''s hard to find any logical explanation for this, either somebody read the wrong line in sounds catalog, or IDs got remapped at some point...
-- Charles Goodhart