Slight change for conversations?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
alphaTECH

Slight change for conversations?

Post by alphaTECH »

It's odd that you can repeatedly ask someone the same question and get the same answer in different ways. Pretty immersion breaking. My biggest gripe with it is that people marking locations on your map is totally random. A better way for this to be implemented would be:

If NPC knows
"How do I get to X?"
"You'll need to go east."
"How do I get to X?"
"Let me mark it on your map."

If NPC doesn't know
"How do I get to X?"
"I don't know where that is."

Just two clicks to get the mark, and if you don't want it, just click once.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Slight change for conversations?

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Helegad wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 pm It's odd that you can repeatedly ask someone the same question and get the same answer in different ways. Pretty immersion breaking. My biggest gripe with it is that people marking locations on your map is totally random. A better way for this to be implemented would be:

If NPC knows
"How do I get to X?"
"You'll need to go east."
"How do I get to X?"
"Let me mark it on your map."

If NPC doesn't know
"How do I get to X?"
"I don't know where that is."

Just two clicks to get the mark, and if you don't want it, just click once.
The number of questions needed, I'm pretty sure, is based on how much the NPC doesn't like you. Having the NPC decide not to talk to you anymore if you bug them too much, makes sense to me.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If it were realistic, it'd go:

> "Can you help me get to The Bear and Bat Tavern?"
"Yeah, it's over to the northeast."
"I've really gotta go."
"Don't know, don't care, don't wanna talk to you anymore. Goodbye."
(walking away)

:lol:

pango

Post by pango »

That world is not symmetric enough. I'm waiting for the moment some adventurer NPC will approach me and ask:
"- Can you help me get to The White Dog inn?"
and I'll have to answer sorry, I'm on two timed quests at the moment...
:o
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

That would make for a great little mini-game actually. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My technique is to select the "where is" thing I want and smash the OK button rapidly until I see the word "map" somewhere in the right panel. :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes. I've actually gotten to the point where, once I see a peasant who doesn't dismiss me, I just mash the question button about a dozen times and leave conversation. And sadly, on very rare occasions not even this marks it on my map :lol:

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 am My technique is to select the "where is" thing I want and smash the OK button rapidly until I see the word "map" somewhere in the right panel. :D
I have to remind myself not to do this or Daggerfall usually throws up an error and quits on me, typically when I'm onto Taverns. :roll:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I always find it amusing when there's like one bank in town and half the people you talk to don't know where the bank is.

I tend to make 1 city my HQ when I play, so it's not often that I need to ask where stuff is, so the discovery system isn't that annoying. But... to me it would make more sense if colored buildings were already marked. The city is pre-mapped out for you, businesses are pre-colored for you, but the names... have to be discovered? I guess I don't see the extra immersion in talking to residents who are somehow clueless about most of their city.

Maybe we could at least mark things as long as the response is "yes" instead of spamming for the right response.

Flylighter

Post by Flylighter »

What I always found interesting as a teenager was how they would never mark a location on your map if you were asking from inside a building. For example, if you arrived to a town at night and there was nobody outside to ask, you would find yourself asking folks inside a tavern. But, while they could give you cardinal directions, no amount of asking would get you a mark on your map!

I always wondered why that was. For a time, I assumed that it must be because the city map was no longer in memory from an interior location, but if that were the case, how would they know the cardinal directions?