Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 1

Post by Interkarma »

n0k0ut wrote: Yep! :D Sending it to you right now, then its finally off to bed for me!
Awesome! Thank you so much. I'll take a look and hopefully get some insight.

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Interkarma wrote:why the log file isn't being created.
edit: You were right about different log location on Linux. I've found the file:
/home/fan/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity/Player.log
Interkarma wrote:Thanks guys!
Thanks for the fantastic work. Even at this early stage it is a lot of fun :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

n0k0ut wrote: Yep! :D Sending it to you right now, then its finally off to bed for me!
Thanks for sending! I've received the log and it runs through successfully all the way to the end. Here are the important bits.

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.4.37: Using settings.ini.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Trying INI path /home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2
DFTFU 1.4.37: Testing arena2 path at '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Found valid arena2 path at '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Setting up content readers with arena2 path '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
HUD pushed to stack.
Welcome to Daggerfall Unity 0.0.2
This at least confirms it's connecting to the Daggerfall folder OK and something else is going on after the startup has completed.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to run the Streaming World Linux demo from below?

http://www.dfworkshop.net/streaming-world-release-demo/

I'll try and work out what's going wrong after such a successfull startup. Unfortunately, it even works on my 6 year old Centrino notebook with a crummy GPU. It does not run very quickly, however. :lol:

Edit: I'll reload it with Arch Linux 4.2 tonight and see if I can reproduce.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Azdul wrote: edit: You were right about different log location on Linux. I've found the file:
/home/fan/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity/Player.log
Nice! Since you had a successful startup, can you see any errors after the "welcome" text?
Thanks for the fantastic work. Even at this early stage it is a lot of fun :D
My pleasure! :)

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Interkarma wrote: Nice! Since you had a successful startup, can you see any errors after the "welcome" text?
The menu does not show up probably due to:

(Filename: Line: -1)

FormatException: Unknown char: .
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.SettingsManager.GetFloat (System.String sectionName, System.String valueName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.SettingsManager.get_DimAlphaStrength () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.GetScreenDimColor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.get_ScreenDimColor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPauseOptionsWindow.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallBaseWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There is also second error earlier in the log:
(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

FormatException: Unknown char: .
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.SettingsManager.GetFloat (System.String sectionName, System.String valueName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.SettingsManager.get_MouseLookSensitivity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.StartGameBehaviour.ApplyStartSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.StartGameBehaviour.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I was trying to use "spoiler" tags, but I cannot get them to work properly.

The errors may (or may not) have something to do with locale settings - LC_NUMERIC="pl_PL.utf8" - using comma as default decimal separator and such ...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interesting... both exceptions are in SettingsManager. The first exception is after call to get_DimAlphaStrength and the second to get_MouseLookSensitivity.

Failing in get_DimAlphaStrength would explain why it works until you open the menu. The DimAlphaStrength setting is to determine how opaque background is in popup windows.

Looking at the call stack, the actual exception is while trying to parse the setting string inside the INIParser library. Any chance you could post your settings.ini here? It's complaining about an unknown character on those items, but I'm dogged if I know what it could be referring to. :?

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Interkarma wrote:It's complaining about an unknown character on those items, but I'm dogged if I know what it could be referring to. :?
Default settings: DimAlphaStrength=0.5 MouseLookSensitivity=1.0 cause exceptions.
But if I change them to DimAlphaStrength=0,5 MouseLookSensitivity=1,0 everything works correctly - no more black screen.

It seems that reading files assumes that numbers format will match my locale settings - and we use comma as decimal separator in Poland. So the dot is an invalid character.

I'm not familiar with Unity / Mono, so I'm not sure how to force it to ignore locale settings ...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Azdul wrote: Default settings: DimAlphaStrength=0.5 MouseLookSensitivity=1.0 cause exceptions.
But if I change them to DimAlphaStrength=0,5 MouseLookSensitivity=1,0 everything works correctly - no more black screen.

It seems that reading files assumes that numbers format will match my locale settings - and we use comma as decimal separator in Poland. So the dot is an invalid character.

I'm not familiar with Unity / Mono, so I'm not sure how to force it to ignore locale settings ...
BAM! Great work! Now to work out how to fix this...

Edit: Think I can fix this. Will roll change into next build. Thanks a ton Azdul!

Edit #2: OK, should be fixed now. I'll post again when next build is ready. Have some more fixes I need to make before then though.

n0k0ut

Post by n0k0ut »

Interkarma wrote:
Thanks for sending! I've received the log and it runs through successfully all the way to the end. Here are the important bits.

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.4.37: Using settings.ini.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Trying INI path /home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2
DFTFU 1.4.37: Testing arena2 path at '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Found valid arena2 path at '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
DFTFU 1.4.37: Setting up content readers with arena2 path '/home/me/downloads/daggerfall/DaggerfallSetup/Daggerfall/arena2'.
HUD pushed to stack.
Welcome to Daggerfall Unity 0.0.2
This at least confirms it's connecting to the Daggerfall folder OK and something else is going on after the startup has completed.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to run the Streaming World Linux demo from below?

http://www.dfworkshop.net/streaming-world-release-demo/

I'll try and work out what's going wrong after such a successfull startup. Unfortunately, it even works on my 6 year old Centrino notebook with a crummy GPU. It does not run very quickly, however. :lol:

Edit: I'll reload it with Arch Linux 4.2 tonight and see if I can reproduce.
Yes, the demo runs without any crashes.

Arl

Post by Arl »

I don't know if this can be considered a bug, and since no-one else seems to have noticed this I'm thinking that maybe is something related to my rig:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/142y1wn.jpg

I don't see seems like that out in the wild, only in cities.

Just in case, these are my specs:

-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz.
-SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB.
-RAM 8GB.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.