Mods pack

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
nico7550

Mods pack

Post by nico7550 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Nico, 41 years old french player.

I would like to discuss about the fact to pre-integrate player mods and old mods in daggerfall unity.

Along the years, I see people release thousand of mods for oblivion, mods for skyrim. It's really fine.
Then I see people releasing mods pack. Most of the time these peoples were attack because of stealing works from other peoples.
Really, stealing ? People gain money releasing mods (I don't speak about russian peoples who really try to gain money) ? People lose fame because of others re-releasing their mods ? Isn't it some misplaced honor thinks or something like that ?

1. For skyrim, I have around 100 different mods running at same time. I will be really happy of having just one mod pack cumulating all of them.
2. In 20 years, when old or new players will want to play, most of the mod will have disappear, site down, compatibility etc...

So my point and questions are :
1. May it's possible to integrate the current old daggerfall mods in daggerfall unity ?
2. May it's possible to have one official team that integrate in one pack the released mod along the years, based on people vote and some time a year to have them integrate in official build ?

The goal, being able to have a full game without the need to dig for more quests of good mods.

A simple pack that will cross the years.

Thanks for reading

Nico

Narf the Mouse

Re: Mods pack

Post by Narf the Mouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 am

The problem with mod packs come down to four areas:

1) People download the mod pack, not the mods.
2) People upvote the mod pack, not the mods.
3) Publicity is the only recognition that mod-authors get.

NexusMods is the main location for Elder Scrolls mods, and allows mod author to input their own settings on how and where their mod can be shared and included.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:14 am

Welcome to the forums! :)
nico7550 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm
1. For skyrim, I have around 100 different mods running at same time. I will be really happy of having just one mod pack cumulating all of them.
One of the difficulties in this concept is the assumption that everyone will want the same mods. It's easy to pack several mods into a pack, but once it's a pack, every person will use that same configuration. Most people don't have the same mod preferences, making one "perfect pack" impossible, and many variation on it impractical.
1. May it's possible to integrate the current old daggerfall mods in daggerfall unity ?
Many of the Daggerfall mods are obsolete due to how Daggerfall Unity was created.

A. Eye of Argonia: DFU by nature far exceeds its capability.
B. Andyfall: Mostly sprite changes, which are simple to accomplish in DFU. The Overlord enemy class is not yet possible in DFU.
C. Quest packs: Some third-party quests were added to DFU from the start, and implementing others is trivial. Die By The Sword isn't included in DFU, and I haven't made them into a mod pack because their content was both goofy and inconsistently programmed.
D. Bug fixes: All known bugs in Daggerfall are patched out or non-existent in DFU.
2. May it's possible to have one official team that integrate in one pack the released mod along the years, based on people vote and some time a year to have them integrate in official build ?
DFU's official version is a replicate of classic Daggerfall, so mods are inconsistent with that. It sounds more like you want a "recommended" mod pack rather than an "official" one, but we certainly don't even have mods enough to even qualify :)

Just to illustrate some of these points, we have an enormous variation of mod configurations among us already, and the game's only at 0.6 right now.

Myself: Archaeologist mod, JH Quest Pack, No Nudity patch, Non-violent corpses patch, Warm Sands
MidknightPrince: Archaeologist mod, Handpainted Model Replacement, JH Quest Pack, KOW Daggerfall Remaster 3.0, Loading Screen, Mountains and Hills, Tedious Travel, Warm Sands

That's just the difference between two users :lol: And if everyone here listed their mod configuration I would be very surprised if anyone had the same setup at all.
Try over 140 all-new quests in the first Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Yes, its problematic due to the reasons posted above.
I managed to get a cooperation going with cca 10 people who agreed to have their textures/sprites incorporated in my big retexture mod.

I was thinking about this mod pack. Id like to have one download for a version I preffer to play, with models, sounds, music, quests etc, all in one download. But that would require a huge amount of communication with the mod creators, some will not like the idea etc... I just cant take their work, place it in a pack and call it the day.

My aproach is, that my work is open. In a sense, everybody can use what Ive spend years to create. F the ego thing. Give me a credit and Im ok. My name is not King of Worms anyway. Only I know who I am. And Im deffo not King of Worms :lol: But other dont see it this way and I completely understand it, and respect it.