Mods pack

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
nico7550

Mods pack

Post by nico7550 »

Hi everyone,

I'm Nico, 41 years old french player.

I would like to discuss about the fact to pre-integrate player mods and old mods in daggerfall unity.

Along the years, I see people release thousand of mods for oblivion, mods for skyrim. It's really fine.
Then I see people releasing mods pack. Most of the time these peoples were attack because of stealing works from other peoples.
Really, stealing ? People gain money releasing mods (I don't speak about russian peoples who really try to gain money) ? People lose fame because of others re-releasing their mods ? Isn't it some misplaced honor thinks or something like that ?

1. For skyrim, I have around 100 different mods running at same time. I will be really happy of having just one mod pack cumulating all of them.
2. In 20 years, when old or new players will want to play, most of the mod will have disappear, site down, compatibility etc...

So my point and questions are :
1. May it's possible to integrate the current old daggerfall mods in daggerfall unity ?
2. May it's possible to have one official team that integrate in one pack the released mod along the years, based on people vote and some time a year to have them integrate in official build ?

The goal, being able to have a full game without the need to dig for more quests of good mods.

A simple pack that will cross the years.

Thanks for reading

Nico

Narf the Mouse

Re: Mods pack

Post by Narf the Mouse »

The problem with mod packs come down to four areas:

1) People download the mod pack, not the mods.
2) People upvote the mod pack, not the mods.
3) Publicity is the only recognition that mod-authors get.

NexusMods is the main location for Elder Scrolls mods, and allows mod author to input their own settings on how and where their mod can be shared and included.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)
nico7550 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm 1. For skyrim, I have around 100 different mods running at same time. I will be really happy of having just one mod pack cumulating all of them.
One of the difficulties in this concept is the assumption that everyone will want the same mods. It's easy to pack several mods into a pack, but once it's a pack, every person will use that same configuration. Most people don't have the same mod preferences, making one "perfect pack" impossible, and many variation on it impractical.
1. May it's possible to integrate the current old daggerfall mods in daggerfall unity ?
Many of the Daggerfall mods are obsolete due to how Daggerfall Unity was created.

A. Eye of Argonia: DFU by nature far exceeds its capability.
B. Andyfall: Mostly sprite changes, which are simple to accomplish in DFU.
C. Quest packs: Some third-party quests were added to DFU from the start, and implementing others is trivial. Die By The Sword isn't included in DFU, and I haven't made them into a mod pack because their content was both goofy and inconsistently programmed.
D. Bug fixes: All known bugs in Daggerfall are patched out or non-existent in DFU.
2. May it's possible to have one official team that integrate in one pack the released mod along the years, based on people vote and some time a year to have them integrate in official build ?
DFU's official version is a replicate of classic Daggerfall, so mods are inconsistent with that. It sounds more like you want a "recommended" mod pack rather than an "official" one, but we certainly don't even have mods enough to even qualify :)

Just to illustrate some of these points, we have an enormous variation of mod configurations among us already, and the game's only at 0.6 right now.

Myself: Archaeologist mod, JH Quest Pack, No Nudity patch, Non-violent corpses patch, Warm Sands
MidknightPrince: Archaeologist mod, Handpainted Model Replacement, JH Quest Pack, KOW Daggerfall Remaster 3.0, Loading Screen, Mountains and Hills, Tedious Travel, Warm Sands

That's just the difference between two users :lol: And if everyone here listed their mod configuration I would be very surprised if anyone had the same setup at all.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, its problematic due to the reasons posted above.
I managed to get a cooperation going with cca 10 people who agreed to have their textures/sprites incorporated in my big retexture mod.

I was thinking about this mod pack. Id like to have one download for a version I preffer to play, with models, sounds, music, quests etc, all in one download. But that would require a huge amount of communication with the mod creators, some will not like the idea etc... I just cant take their work, place it in a pack and call it the day.

My aproach is, that my work is open. In a sense, everybody can use what Ive spend years to create. F the ego thing. Give me a credit and Im ok. My name is not King of Worms anyway. Only I know who I am. And Im deffo not King of Worms :lol: But other dont see it this way and I completely understand it, and respect it.

ernierasta

Post by ernierasta »

Hi everyone,
I think there is solution to problems mentioned - mod pack manager. Program which allows modpack author to release his currated mod list, but keeping mods separated at the same time. I do not see reasons to make mod pack which include work of other modders, it strips them of their credits.

Solution to this is something like Automaton for Skyrim. Mod pack author just release file containing definitions what has to be downloaded and set of rules how mod has to be processed to achieve desired effect.

I am developing something similar to Automaton, but more universal in terms of TES series and without automated option for Nexus premium members. Currently I have abandonded this for a while, but when I will finish my other projects I will continue work on that and I am planning to support DFU latter.

If anyone has any ideas how it should be aproached in context of DFU, please post yours ideas here.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

ernierasta wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:28 pm I think there is solution to problems mentioned - mod pack manager.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Support for Daggerfall Unity is being added to the Vortex mod manager from Nexus.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2469&start=30#p32272

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Great to hear! :D

It's been quite a few years since I used Vortex, so I'm not sure what functionality it has these days, but what would be heaps better than a mod pack would be something similar to Vortex that just handled a pre-curated list of mods. Including adjusting settings for individual mods.
So the "mod pack" didn't actually conatin the mods, just handled them for you.

With somethig like Vortex, this could be some kind of setup file for Vortex that makes a mod-list for DFU with the specific mods listed in the pack?
I'd totally download a "mod" that was really just a list of a bunch of mods that you imported into Vortex to get the experience the mod list promised without having to do all the legwork of investigating mods myself.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

I've also not used NexusMods manager programs in some time. It was called 'Nexus Mod Manager' back when I used it in Skyrim. It seems to be working okay so far as I get back into Skyrim for the sake of the still vibrant community, and other fun stuff like Dragon's Dogma.

I have noticed a lot of people in the community like Mod Organizer 2 https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... /mods/6194

To the point; I'm curious if any one here has experience and subsequent thoughts using Vortex or Mod Organizer 2. Especially since DFUnity is gaining support...

ernierasta

Post by ernierasta »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:28 am
Welcome to the forums. :)
Thank you!
Support for Daggerfall Unity is being added to the Vortex mod manager from Nexus.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2469&start=30#p32272
That is very good news, thanks for sharing. I also do not use NMO/Vortex, so not sure, but I doubt it can import modpacks.

When using modpack tool, mods could be processed. Usually it is just adjusting settings, but modpack author can f.e. remove files, make binary patch, etc.

Idea of modpacks is about re-creating exact mod setup on someone alse PC.

Next problem is Linux, most of these tools are not writen as multiplatform.

ModOrganizer is great tool because it creates virtual file system out of separate dirs (maybe Vortex do the same, no idea) and has many good features(profiles, ini editor,...)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well.. Ive just recently installed Skyrim SE and added some 30 mods using Vortex, it works quite nicely. I like how it shows you the conflicting mods and allows you to set which mod will overwrite the other. And it allows you to decide it on "per file" basis. But Im not sure how to make it handle a mod pack.
Also, Im not really 100% certain on how to make a DREAM Vortex ready.