Vanilla saves on Unity

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Camdigidy

Vanilla saves on Unity

Post by Camdigidy »

Just started playing DFUnity and I love it! But I've also been playing vanilla DF on a Dos emulator on my phone during my downtime at work.

I'm curious if there is a way to port my vanilla saves over DFUnity. And if that's possible, would it be possible to port DFUnity saves back to vanilla?

pango

Re: Vanilla saves on Unity

Post by pango »

Hi Camdigidy,
You can import classic Daggerfall gamesaves into Daggerfall Unity: in the load menu click on "Classic" button;
It will display the (up to 6) gamesaves from the underlying Daggerfall classic installation.
The reverse is not implemented and is less and less likely to happen (with new quests, mods adding new guilds,...)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

As Pango says, classic saves can be loaded by DFU. There are no plans to add the ability to export DFU saves for Unity and since it would pose many challenges as well as being of very limited usefulness it's not likely.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Do not worry! I can personally assure you that once you get far into Unity, you won't be going back to classic! :D (I'm always curious when I hear about people playing DF on their phones. It seems like the least phone-friendly game I can think of.)

Camdigidy

Post by Camdigidy »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm Do not worry! I can personally assure you that once you get far into Unity, you won't be going back to classic! :D (I'm always curious when I hear about people playing DF on their phones. It seems like the least phone-friendly game I can think of.)
I use Magic Dos for android. It was a little finicky at first, but I got it running. And Magic Dos let's you make and place keys. Works pretty great for me! There's a tutorial on youtube.

Camdigidy

Post by Camdigidy »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:04 pm Hi Camdigidy,
You can import classic Daggerfall gamesaves into Daggerfall Unity: in the load menu click on "Classic" button;
It will display the (up to 6) gamesaves from the underlying Daggerfall classic installation.
The reverse is not implemented and is less and less likely to happen (with new quests, mods adding new guilds,...)

I discovered the classic button, but once in the classic load menu, the game tells me the save files can't be loaded if I try to load them. Any idea what the problem could be?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

To import successfully, classic saves must be made by a copy of Daggerfall patched to .213. There is no support for older save versions. Saves edited using a save game editor can break the format also.

If you don't mind attaching a zip of your classic saves, we'll take a look and see where the issue is.