Best Build/Class for Finishing Main Questline?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jfcaron

Best Build/Class for Finishing Main Questline?

Post by jfcaron »

I've been playing Daggerfall on and off for over a decade, and I've never actually finished the game.

If I have as a minimal goal to just finish the dang main quest, i.e. no messing around getting ranks in guilds (unless they facilitate the main quest) or a hosue, what would be the class or build that would have the best chance of getting me there? This is both about the difficulty of the monsters faced, the spells needed to make the quests less tedious or possible, chance of encountering bugs, etc.

Currently I'm halfway through the required main quests using a custom Redguard Hand-to-Hand build, and it's reasonably powerful, but the lack of decent magic ability really hurts (no Anchor). Am I likely to be able to finish the game?

pango

Re: Best Build/Class for Finishing Main Questline?

Post by pango »

Hi jfcaron,
Magic definitely helps in Daggerfall, in general. The easiest classes to play are probably magic+combat ones like Battlemages (and hardest pure thieves-like).
Non-casters can rely on magic trinkets and potions, usually from temples, with careful planning.

Magic can help a lot with the main quest also. At the very least you should find some mean to levitate before the end. I heard it can be done without, but you''ll save a lot of aggravation if you can levitate.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

johnwax

Re: Best Build/Class for Finishing Main Questline?

Post by johnwax »

jfcaron wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm I've been playing Daggerfall on and off for over a decade, and I've never actually finished the game.
I've been playing it twice and long and I haven't finished it either! :D

Over the years, my best PCs have been long-blade melee tanks with a lot of magic ability. The sword for combat and the the magic for skill/attribute enhancements and assists (open, recall, levitate, shield, etc)