Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Midknightprince

Re: Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Post by Midknightprince »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm Image
LOL !!
Check out my YouTube Channel!

chantling

Post by chantling »

I never "liked" the repair times in the same way I didn't "like" shops and service providers being closed after a certain time; it's an inconvenience to roll into town just after closing time or at the crack of dawn before opening and have to either loiter repeatedly or go find an inn to sleep in. But I appreciate the effect it has of making you plan around the world's constraints rather than having the world plan around you. Feels more immersive to me and kind of forces a strategic approach to repairs; how long will it take, how long will I be in town, do I have any time-limited quests, etc. Maybe repair my mildly dented sword now while I'm in my base town rather than wait until it breaks when I'm in some far-off burg I don't want to be stuck in for a week. But then I also never used bows primarily, and so I can see it maybe being a big hassle if they're as flimsy as stated.

The big thing for me, as for others above, was forgetting about the repair. A journal entry telling you when and where you left that item to be repaired would be amazing.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

chantling wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:37 pm I never "liked" the repair times in the same way I didn't "like" shops and service providers being closed after a certain time; it's an inconvenience to roll into town just after closing time or at the crack of dawn before opening and have to either loiter repeatedly or go find an inn to sleep in.
Besides many guilds opening at lunchtime for some stupid reason, the biggest problem is that the game doesn't even tell you open hours when it's closed, so you don't know how long you have to loiter or sleep. It just says "Locked." I mean, that's not even realistic, a business is gonna have its hours on the door or sign. Easy opportuniy for QOL here, just add a line of text beneath Locked that says "Open 11:00 to 23:00."
Last edited by BansheeXYZ on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If you use the F3 mode, Info, it'll tell you what its operating hours are if you click on the door and it's locked.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 am If you use the F3 mode, Info, it'll tell you what its operating hours are if you click on the door and it's locked.
I didn't know that. And you know what, I don't even feel silly, because interaction modes are broken and pointless and don't even do what you expect in the original game. If I "look mode" at an NPC, it talks to them. If I "look mode" at an unlocked door, it opens it. So how was I supposed to know it actually did something on a locked door?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 am I didn't know that. And you know what, I don't even feel silly, because interaction modes are broken and pointless and don't even do what you expect in the original game. If I "look mode" at an NPC, it talks to them. If I "look mode" at an unlocked door, it opens it. So how was I supposed to know it actually did something on a locked door?
At the risk of getting this bug topic further off track, and although I completely agree the interaction mode mechanic in general is unnecessarily confusing at times and poorly implemented, what you're describing isn't how classic (and I don't think how DFU?) operates. Info mode on an NPC displays their name. Info mode on a door tells you whether it's locked. Etc. I think you may be confusing Info mode with Grab mode. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Int ... logue_Mode

As you can see clearly in the chart at the bottom of that UESP page, "Dialogue" in particular is a conflicted and essentially useless mode - there's nothing that mode does in classic that can't be done by another, and usually more intuitive, mode selection. My ideal DFU (with or without mods) would overhaul this whole "mode" mess to simply use left-click for the "Grab"/"Dialogue" functions, right-click for the "Info" functions, and implement a Sneak (to include "Steal") toggle, the last of which I've requested elsewhere (https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042). I remember that even back in the early 2000s when I discovered Daggerfall classic, the modes seemed extremely clunky. They haven't improved with age.

/end derailment of bug topic

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Mike wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pmwhat you're describing isn't how classic operates.
I described exactly how it operates because I just did it in dosbox. Have you tried it? Click a wandering NPC in town with info mode. Click an open door with info mode. It doesn't give info, it performs actions. Info mode works differently on quest NPCs and locked doors, that's why it's weird.

pango

Post by pango »

Agreed info mode is not very consistent in Daggerfall.
That's an issue when trying to help people streaming it, because when you explain that info mode can be used on buildings, 80% of people try it on door first...
And yeah, this is off topic in this thread :p
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

As Hazelnut has described the current implementation is intentional, the discussion is more one of preferred design than a bug. Things have also become slightly off-topic. I'll move this one now so you can all continue conversation outside of bug reports.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm I described exactly how it operates because I just did it in dosbox. Have you tried it? Click a wandering NPC in town with info mode. Click an open door with info mode. It doesn't give info, it performs actions. Info mode works differently on quest NPCs and locked doors, that's why it's weird.
I haven't recently, so if you say so (you're using the eye icon mode, not the hand, right?). As I said, the whole system's a bit of a mess anyway.

(And thanks, Interkarma.)