Not Getting Promotion Option, Mages Guild

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Magicono43

Not Getting Promotion Option, Mages Guild

Post by Magicono43 »

I thought that guild ranks worked at this point in the builds, currently using #139. I did about 5 quests for the mages guild and the quest giver is not giving me any option to be promoted to a higher rank, which I think you only have to do like 2-3 to get past rank 0 in most guilds. I have tried talking to him normally and the "join guild" option is grayed out.

Anyone else have this issue, or has ranks not been brought in yet?

johnwax

Re: Not Getting Promotion Option, Mages Guild

Post by johnwax »

Actually, Mage Guild rank depends on the points you have in the schools of magic. For example, to have enchanter rank you have to have at least 55 points in one school (e.g. destruction) and have not less than a 50 reputation. Google 'Daggerfall spells' for the UESP wiki.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi Magicono43,
In Daggerfall you must also have minimum skill levels for your best and second best skills among those that matter for the considered guild (so for the mages guild, that should be the 6 schools of magic). See the UESP for a table
And in classic you also have to wait for the next guild members review, which can take up to a month (maybe 28 days, I'm not sure).

That said, I don't remember seeing a rank up message in Daggerfall Unity, I suspect it's not implemented (yet). I still ranked up in a few guilds, so I guess it's just automatic, no promotion notification. Check your ranks in your character sheet by clicking on "Affiliations"
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It is implemented, all of the guild rank system is in place. You have to meet the skill requirements, have the rep (which is easily seen currently on char sheet so you don't need to guess) and 28 days have passed since your last rank change. Then the next time you speak to anyone in the guild they will tell you about your new rank. If your rank changes without a message box then that's a bug. I will need steps to reproduce though, because I spent many hours testing this and I have no desire to spend hours retesting every aspect of it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Maybe I've not been careful enough then, I'll check again as soon as I can.
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Does the 28 day wait for the re-review also count when you first join the guild? If that is the case that is probably the issue.

Also, does the minimum skill requirement count for ALL of the skills that guild focuses on, or just one of the extra ones?

Thanks for the replys, probably a mistake on my end.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Magicono43 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am Does the 28 day wait for the re-review also count when you first join the guild? If that is the case that is probably the issue.

Also, does the minimum skill requirement count for ALL of the skills that guild focuses on, or just one of the extra ones?

Thanks for the replys, probably a mistake on my end.
Yep, 30 days to go up for every guild.
No matter your rep., or skills.
30, 28, whatever...
There is about 6 skills for each guild, and you have to check the unofficial Elder Scrolls pages for that info please, it's on there.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah tested on my save and promotions do work for the mages guild, no message shows up when you are given the increased rank though, so that is most likely a bug.

pango

Post by pango »

Something similar to the disappearing shop quality messagebox, maybe?
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

That's totally a possibility, not sure how those two work in the code though, so could be different entirely.