Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Capostrophic

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Post by Capostrophic »

Daggerfall Unity doesn't works properly with russian edition of the game (unofficial translation of Vortex Dragon's team). And I guess (as DFU's logging weeping) that's because there is no Daggerfall/Privateer's Hold cell in it -- there is something like "Даггерфол/Пиратский схрон". («Пиратский схрон» means Pirates' Hideout BTW).
Bad luck for poor slavs.

Strange, but in 0.0.1 DFU version this caused empty world with sky visible (mouse and menus worked), and 0.0.3/4 (not sure) shows just black screen with some UI elements over it. Loading classic saves, though, works and does it brilliantly.
Edit: the translation used qwerty changed to йцукен font — means Пиратский схрон is translated not exactly, but like "Gbhfncrbq c[hjy".
Edit2: DFU cannot find any of cyrillic Privateer's Hold variations in wrong layout, fallbacks to original cell name, cannot find it, tries settings's cell name again and so it's stuck.
Last edited by Capostrophic on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Edit: Updated!

1. The freeze on opening loading menu was still there, but I figured out the problem. It doesn't understand from where it's run, so when I added MyDaggerfallPath it worked! My bad! :oops: It even opens old saves now. Quicksave and load did work before adding that line though from in-game.

2. On your download page it says 0.0.0.4, but the file I downloaded from that link is called 0.0.0.3.

And I can just mention that the console button on a swedish keyboard is "ö", which is right of the "l" button. Took some keyboard spam to find.

I like the build otherwise and I dig the new console, great work there LypyL. Just missing the super speed mode and some easier to use coc (CenterOnCell). The mouse smoothing setting works etc etc. Perfect!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

The mouse smoothing has a strange delay effect that is kind of frustrating. I found it best to turn off the smoothing and up the sensitivity to 4.0. Now I can look around really fast. I agree that it will be hard to find a good default for these values, but the default was way off for me. Then again, I used to play Counter-Strike all the time and so my style is kind of demanding...

I also played around with the weaponswing threshold setting, but no matter what the setting is, it's very chaotic to have to lock the screen and do timed click drags. Sometimes the swings don't register or the swing goes the opposite of intention because you time the animation wrong. Yes, it's how the original worked, but it's really chaotic. An idea that I'd like to see tried at some point is to simply do away with the lock-and-drag system with a glance-and-click system. What I mean is: use immediately prior coordinates to determine swing direction. For example, to swing downward: aim your crosshair, look down one pixel or more and click. Holding the click would repeat the swing type. That would work quite well, I think. You'd also be able to strafe-attack much easier since the screen would never lock. Combat in daggerfall would actually become enjoyable and strategic.

Oh, and I like your idea to swap the health/endurance colors. Silly dfall devs, red is the color of blood=hp!

Mikhno

Post by Mikhno »

Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM, Intel Pentium CPU G3240, GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
Daggerfall Unity 0.0.3 (Windows).
Everything works fine (I use official Bethesda CD-version of the game) and looks awesome.
Great work!

I can even load my save game, where the main quest is already finished and I've got several mods installed (the mods just add new quests or fix bugs in original game).

I've notice one strange thing, though - when you go out of the dungeon in Direnni Tower, you always appear at the top of the tower - there is another dungeon entrance.
In original Daggerfall, when you go outside in this dungeon you always appear in front of the main entrance.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mikhno wrote:Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM, Intel Pentium CPU G3240, GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
Daggerfall Unity 0.0.3 (Windows).
Everything works fine (I use official Bethesda CD-version of the game) and looks awesome.
Great work!

I can even load my save game, where the main quest is already finished and I've got several mods installed (the mods just add new quests or fix bugs in original game).

I've notice one strange thing, though - when you go out of the dungeon in Direnni Tower, you always appear at the top of the tower - there is another dungeon entrance.
In original Daggerfall, when you go outside in this dungeon you always appear in front of the main entrance.
Thank you. :) Yes, this is a bug with the current build. I'm working on a fix for first release.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

BansheeXYZ wrote:The mouse smoothing has a strange delay effect that is kind of frustrating. I found it best to turn off the smoothing and up the sensitivity to 4.0. Now I can look around really fast. I agree that it will be hard to find a good default for these values, but the default was way off for me. Then again, I used to play Counter-Strike all the time and so my style is kind of demanding...

I also played around with the weaponswing threshold setting, but no matter what the setting is, it's very chaotic to have to lock the screen and do timed click drags. Sometimes the swings don't register or the swing goes the opposite of intention because you time the animation wrong. Yes, it's how the original worked, but it's really chaotic. An idea that I'd like to see tried at some point is to simply do away with the lock-and-drag system with a glance-and-click system. What I mean is: use immediately prior coordinates to determine swing direction. For example, to swing downward: aim your crosshair, look down one pixel or more and click. Holding the click would repeat the swing type. That would work quite well, I think. You'd also be able to strafe-attack much easier since the screen would never lock. Combat in daggerfall would actually become enjoyable and strategic.

Oh, and I like your idea to swap the health/endurance colors. Silly dfall devs, red is the color of blood=hp!
Thanks for the feedback. :) I'd love to see a lot of improvements to Daggerfall as well, but right now I'm sticking with canon as much as possible. Thankfully everything is open source, and I'm willing to bet that over time we'll end up with several flavours of Daggerfall catering to different tastes.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Lazaroth wrote:Edit: Updated!

1. The freeze on opening loading menu was still there, but I figured out the problem. It doesn't understand from where it's run, so when I added MyDaggerfallPath it worked! My bad! :oops: It even opens old saves now. Quicksave and load did work before adding that line though from in-game.

2. On your download page it says 0.0.0.4, but the file I downloaded from that link is called 0.0.0.3.

And I can just mention that the console button on a swedish keyboard is "ö", which is right of the "l" button. Took some keyboard spam to find.

I like the build otherwise and I dig the new console, great work there LypyL. Just missing the super speed mode and some easier to use coc (CenterOnCell). The mouse smoothing setting works etc etc. Perfect!
Thanks for the feedback! :) I've renamed the web page links to 0.0.3 to avoid any confusion, but the current download is actually 0.0.4 internally. Nothing major between the versions anyway, just a few minor compatibility problems for both platforms.

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Something strange is going on with swinging weapons on Linux in Windowed mode.
Most of the time it does not work.
However - in full screen mode it works fine.

Tespis

Post by Tespis »

Hi! Does anyone know how to restore default keys in the Unity launcher? I messed them up and now would like to have'em back to default.

Edit: So I can continue my testing, that is. For now no save I can load from vanilla except of fresh new made fledgeling down in PH. When I start to explore a bit, rest, get out from PH and save on different slot, the saves don't appear in Daggerfall Unity load menu.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I found it. In case that anybody have such a problem, they're in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity. What I have done, I just deleted whole Daggerfall Unity thing from the registry.

CyberWilhelm

Post by CyberWilhelm »

Thanks for the new build! Ran into a new issue straight away, though. I'm trying to set the resolution in the launcher to 1920x1080 full screen (same as my monitor's native res), and it keeps switching to 948x1080 when I actually launch the game. The only reason that I can tell you the precise resolution is because the launcher shows that when I re-open it. Windowed 1080p works fine but is less good for other obvious reasons. :)

There's nothing too crazy about my system. I'm runnning Windows 7 64-bit with a GeForce GTX 760. No weird custom monitor or display/color management software installed. Probably the most unique thing attached to the machine is an Oculus Rift DK2, though it's running the 0.7 runtime which removes extended mode, so its portrait resolutions shouldn't be mucking with anything (only my main monitor shows up in the Display drop-down). In any case, the first release of Daggerfall Unity worked great at 1920x1080 full screen.

Here's one potentially relevant line from output_log.txt when trying to use full screen and it messing up:

Code: Select all

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
Other note is that I wiped my Daggerfall Unity directory and did a fresh install of it for this build. The main Daggerfall directory didn't change any.

Out of curiosity, did you change Unity versions between the previous build and this one or something?

Edit: Tried clearing the Daggerfall Workshop registry key and all of its sub-keys, along with a completely unmodified settings.ini (aside from my Daggerfall path) with the same result. Going to try disconnecting the DK2 next.

Edit 2: Unplugged the DK2, restarted Windows, and wiped my registry key. It works again! Guessing this is probably a Unity issue, especially if you built against a different version than last time.
Last edited by CyberWilhelm on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.