Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Michael_TEFL

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Post by Michael_TEFL »

As usual, trying out unimplemented features:
1) custom vampire character does not even show on the load screen (it is not supposed to work anyway).
2) Trying to load a custom character onboard a ship results in the character being stuck somewhere under the ship's invisible hull. See the spoiler for the screenshot.

Now to more important results:
Positive:
i) so far no more getting stuck in the save\load menu if no previous saves are present. Cancel button works fine now.
ii) now testing results of trying to load different custom characters
0) custom male khajit
1) custom female breton
2) custom male character on board a ship
3) custom male breton
4) custom male argonian
5) werewolf

Spoiler - load screen for my new set of characters. Some characters do not show at all. I'll study this fact more closely.
Spoiler!
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
By the way, is it possible to make just one spoiler per a post?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Michael_TEFL wrote:As usual, trying out unimplemented features:
2) Trying to load a custom character onboard a ship results in the character being stuck somewhere under the ship's invisible hull. See the spoiler for the screenshot.
Check the ReadMe in Troubleshooting: "I loaded a classic save and appeared inside a building, outside a dungeon, or stuck inside the building I was standing on." This has more information on why this is happening. :)

Michael_TEFL wrote: Now to more important results:
Positive:
i) so far no more getting stuck in the save\load menu if no previous saves are present. Cancel button works fine now.
ii) now testing results of trying to load different custom characters
0) custom male khajit
1) custom female breton
2) custom male character on board a ship
3) custom male breton
4) custom male argonian
5) werewolf

Spoiler - load screen for my new set of characters. Some characters do not show at all. I'll study this fact more closely.
Edit: Thanks for combining the spoiler tags! :) Would you be able to send me a save for one the ones that don't show at all?

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Interkarma wrote:One more thing. With your default Polish locale set, does it seem to be reading the INI properly now? Or does it still barf on . instead of , while parsing? Cheers mate. :)
Reading INI works fine independent of the LANG setting.

I've installed monodevelop and I've done some experiments:

Code: Select all

float value = 1.2222f;
//works fine on both LANG settings
float value2 = float.Parse(string.Format("{0:0.00}", value), NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.CurrentCulture);

//throws an exception if LANG is not set to en_US.utf8
float value3 = float.Parse(string.Format("{0:0.00}", value), NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);		

//this also works fine on both LANG settings
float value4 = (float)Math.Round((Decimal)value,2);

I wish I knew C# enough to understand what's really going on there.
Last edited by Azdul on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Azdul wrote:
Reading INI works fine independent of the LANG setting.
Thank you.
Azdul wrote:

Code: Select all

//throws an exception if LANG is not set to en_US.utf8
float value3 = float.Parse(string.Format("{0:0.00}", value), NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);		
I wish I knew C# enough to understand what's really going on there.
Have you re-downloaded the updated Linux version as requested and tried again? I would really like to know if this build resolves the original problem. Thank you. :)

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

Interkarma wrote:Have you re-downloaded the updated Linux version as requested and tried again? I would really like to know if this build resolves the original problem. Thank you. :)
I've downloaded new Linux build, and it works fine on both LANG settings.
I've also checked log file for errors - and haven't found any.
Thanks !

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Azdul wrote:
Interkarma wrote:Have you re-downloaded the updated Linux version as requested and tried again? I would really like to know if this build resolves the original problem. Thank you. :)
I've downloaded new Linux build, and it works fine on both LANG settings.
I've also checked log file for errors - and haven't found any.
Thanks !
Phew! Thank you sir. :)

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Interkarma wrote:
Michael_TEFL wrote:As usual, trying out unimplemented features:
Check the ReadMe in Troubleshooting: "I loaded a classic save and appeared inside a building, outside a dungeon, or stuck inside the building I was standing on." This has more information on why this is happening. :)

Would you be able to send me a save for one the ones that don't show at all?
Sure! Those saves are not actually mine, you can take them from
http://www.uesp.net/dagger/dagsave.shtml

http://www.uesp.net/file.shtml?dagger/f ... alwolf.zip - for the werewolf character

http://www.icehouse.net/radu/dagger/menu.htm
http://www.icehouse.net/radu/dagger/..% ... kaemos.zip - for the custom female Breton character.

The strange thing is that the latter loaded just fine in the first test build.

I can also suggest for everyone else to experiment with the saves from UESP and ICEHOUSE sites.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Michael_TEFL wrote: Sure! Those saves are not actually mine, you can take them from
http://www.uesp.net/dagger/dagsave.shtml

http://www.uesp.net/file.shtml?dagger/f ... alwolf.zip - for the werewolf character

http://www.icehouse.net/radu/dagger/menu.htm
http://www.icehouse.net/radu/dagger/..% ... kaemos.zip - for the custom female Breton character.

The strange thing is that the latter loaded just fine in the first test build.

I can also suggest for everyone else to experiment with the saves from UESP and ICEHOUSE sites.
Cheers! :)

Reath

Post by Reath »

My old saves don't appear in the load menu at all, even though they worked in the previous build. I started a new character and played for a bit, didn't encounter any other issues.

If you turn the mouse smoothing off, the default mouse sensitivity makes you turn very slowly. It would be nice if the default sensitivity was higher with the smoothing turned off.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Reath wrote:My old saves don't appear in the load menu at all, even though they worked in the previous build. I started a new character and played for a bit, didn't encounter any other issues.
Thanks for the feedback. :) What's happening is that I've made the save importer less forgiving of non-conforming (a.k.a unknown) data. It's basically a toss-up between ignoring potentially bad saves or having a bad save throw an wobbly and crash the program.

Until the save importer API evolves a bit more, I'm going to play it safe. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a save not be visible than potentially crash out the program. Most of these problems will get ironed out eventually. To be honest, the save importer will probably still be getting fixes long after Daggerfall Unity itself is in a playable state (it's seriously that big a job).

By first true release, I'm going to split out the Unity save/load and classic save import to different UI screens. This will let me be a little more adventurous with classic save import without risking locking the player out of Unity saves as well.
Reath wrote: If you turn the mouse smoothing off, the default mouse sensitivity makes you turn very slowly. It would be nice if the default sensitivity was higher with the smoothing turned off.
I thought about this, but ultimately decided against it. I'd rather you tuned both values to where you're happy than try to make those decisions for you. Generally speaking, non-smoothed mouse should be about twice the sensitivity of smoothed mouse. It will also be different with vsync on and vsync off. I'll think on this again and maybe change this later.