Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Arl

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Post by Arl »

Great!

Now my character is male again, and the new parameters in the INI are very neat, especially being able to turn off mouse smoothing.
My original save games aren't being loaded though, but besides that all runs great and I haven't found any problems yet.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

The sky background and held weapon are stretched between different aspect ratios. I have attached a couple of examples for comparison (this applies to all tested resolutions).

Test system: Windows 10 64-bit, AMD R9 270 (latest driver), Direct3D 11 renderer.
Spoiler!
Daggerfall Unity 1024x768 gameplay.png
Daggerfall Unity 1024x768 gameplay.png (226.92 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Daggerfall Unity 2560x1080 gameplay.jpg
Daggerfall Unity 2560x1080 gameplay.jpg (227.54 KiB) Viewed 5665 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Capostrophic wrote:Daggerfall Unity doesn't works properly with russian edition of the game (unofficial translation of Vortex Dragon's team). And I guess (as DFU's logging weeping) that's because there is no Daggerfall/Privateer's Hold cell in it -- there is something like "Даггерфол/Пиратский схрон". («Пиратский схрон» means Pirates' Hideout BTW).
Bad luck for poor slavs.

Strange, but in 0.0.1 DFU version this caused empty world with sky visible (mouse and menus worked), and 0.0.3/4 (not sure) shows just black screen with some UI elements over it. Loading classic saves, though, works and does it brilliantly.
Edit: the translation used qwerty changed to йцукен font — means Пиратский схрон is translated not exactly, but like "Gbhfncrbq c[hjy".
Edit2: DFU cannot find any of cyrillic Privateer's Hold variations in wrong layout, fallbacks to original cell name, cannot find it, tries settings's cell name again and so it's stuck.
Thank you for your feedback! :) In the next build, I will change how the start cell is set from INI to coordinates instead of a string. This should allow startup to work on Daggerfall installations with modified strings.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

CyberWilhelm wrote:Out of curiosity, did you change Unity versions between the previous build and this one or something?

Edit: Tried clearing the Daggerfall Workshop registry key and all of its sub-keys, along with a completely unmodified settings.ini (aside from my Daggerfall path) with the same result. Going to try disconnecting the DK2 next.

Edit 2: Unplugged the DK2, restarted Windows, and wiped my registry key. It works again! Guessing this is probably a Unity issue, especially if you built against a different version than last time.
You have a good spidey-sense for changes. Yep, updated my Unity version between builds. There's a bug with how Unity sets internal viewport size for non-exclusive fullscreen, which is why some people experienced a half-height display with the first test. It's probably also why the saved registry data from the previous build was borked in the new build.

I had already hacked in a a workaround for this problem (force back to native res), but left the workaround in 0.0.3 and 0.0.4. The new Unity version fixes the original problem, so as of 0.0.5, the workaround fix is gone and hopefully no more resolution problems. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Garrett wrote:The sky background and held weapon are stretched between different aspect ratios. I have attached a couple of examples for comparison (this applies to all tested resolutions).

Test system: Windows 10 64-bit, AMD R9 270 (latest driver), Direct3D 11 renderer.
The sky and weapon don't respect aspect ratio yet, but I will fix this later. Daggerfall was designed to run at exactly one resolution (320x200) on 4:3 CRT monitors. I'm hoping to support pretty much any resolution and aspect ratio, while still keeping things looking right as possible. It's a challenging problem, one that's received a lot of work and thought already. I'm getting there, but it's not quite all there yet. :)

Right now, most notable areas for improvement are skies, weapons, and HUD controls (compass and health bars).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Great!

Now my character is male again, and the new parameters in the INI are very neat, especially being able to turn off mouse smoothing.
My original save games aren't being loaded though, but besides that all runs great and I haven't found any problems yet.
Awesome, thanks for the update! :)

I'm working on more fixes for the saves. Will post some change notes shortly.

CyberWilhelm

Post by CyberWilhelm »

Interkarma wrote:You have a good spidey-sense for changes. Yep, updated my Unity version between builds.
What can I say? Ship a few games with it and you begin to recognize the signs. :)
Interkarma wrote:There's a bug with how Unity sets internal viewport size for non-exclusive fullscreen, which is why some people experienced a half-height display with the first test. It's probably also why the saved registry data from the previous build was borked in the new build.

I had already hacked in a a workaround for this problem (force back to native res), but left the workaround in 0.0.3 and 0.0.4. The new Unity version fixes the original problem, so as of 0.0.5, the workaround fix is gone and hopefully no more resolution problems. :)
What version of Unity are you using now? 5.2.2p1? I just cloned the repository and if your changes are in the WIP branch, I can try to verify the fix over here with a matching version.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Here's a list of the fixes currently in progress. I will try and get this to you before I go on leave next week.
  • Popup message at start if MyDaggerfallPath is missing or does not appear to contain valid data.
  • Change INI start location to coordinates, as string lookup will not work in Daggerfall installs hacked for different languages.
  • Fix for exiting dungeon to incorrect exterior door.
  • Fix when starting a new game after dying and exiting Privateer's Hold to the wrong cell.
  • Lazy-load saves so they should always be visible in classic load UI. If a save cannot be loaded, it will popup an error. This should make it easier to target the exact save with import problems.
I might expand this list before I'm done, but that's my hit-list for the short amount of time I have left before holidays. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

CyberWilhelm wrote:
Interkarma wrote:You have a good spidey-sense for changes. Yep, updated my Unity version between builds.
What can I say? Ship a few games with it and you begin to recognize the signs. :)
Interkarma wrote:There's a bug with how Unity sets internal viewport size for non-exclusive fullscreen, which is why some people experienced a half-height display with the first test. It's probably also why the saved registry data from the previous build was borked in the new build.

What version of Unity are you using now? 5.2.2p1? I just cloned the repository and if your changes are in the WIP branch, I can try to verify the fix over here with a matching version.
Cool! :) I'm using 5.2.2f1. If you would like to test, please comment out the below lines in GameManager.cs. It seems to be working on my test systems now, but I'm always happy for more feedback.

Edit: BTW, that bug only shows up in builds using non-exclusive fullscreen and the user selects a non-native resolution from the launcher. You will need to reproduce that to test bug. The result was the display was squished in the upper half of the screen. It does seem resolved in 4.2.2 however.

Code: Select all

// HACK: Fix Unity fullscreen window scaling issue
            if (Screen.fullScreen && !isFullscreen)
            {
                Resolution nativeResolution = Screen.resolutions[Screen.resolutions.Length - 1];
                if (Screen.width != nativeResolution.width || Screen.height != nativeResolution.height)
                {
                    Screen.SetResolution(nativeResolution.width, nativeResolution.height, true);
                }
                isFullscreen = true;
            }

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Starting from 0.0.5, if your MyDaggerfallPath fails validation then the attached will be displayed instead of a blank screen.
Attachments
NotThePath.png
NotThePath.png (24.47 KiB) Viewed 5632 times