Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
CyberWilhelm

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 2

Post by CyberWilhelm »

Classic save compatibility might be a decent job for a contributor or two to work on while Interkarma blazes the trail for more of the core systems that things can hook into. Depending on how fancy people wanted to get, a repository could get set up with some integration into a bug tracker using our forum log-ins for user accounts.

Not sure how long something like that would take to set up, though, and if just fixing save problems as they come up would be quicker. ;)

CyberWilhelm

Post by CyberWilhelm »

Was messing around a little bit today and managed to fall out of the world when I exited a building, changed my mind, entered the building, remembered something else, and exited it again. It took me right back to the XnGine days, where every step was an adventure. :P Tried playing around for a consistent repro, but no luck. Still, thought I'd mention it.

Hope PAX Aus is awesome! Too bad Mike couldn't make it. I'm looking forward to going to my first one in January at PAX South.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

CyberWilhelm wrote:Was messing around a little bit today and managed to fall out of the world when I exited a building, changed my mind, entered the building, remembered something else, and exited it again. It took me right back to the XnGine days, where every step was an adventure. :P Tried playing around for a consistent repro, but no luck. Still, thought I'd mention it.
That's just there for a little added authenticity :) Kidding aside, I've experienced the same problem recently.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

There are collisions in SaveLoadManager.registerSerializeableGameObject() for both enemies & action doors when entering castle wayrest. They all seem to happen on block index 920 - the problem as far as I can tell is multiple objects have the same obj.This (which is strange...)

Fell through the world once when outside, haven't been able to recreate it.

There is a small house in the graveyard in Wayrest (near the western entrance of the city), and it throws an exception when you try to enter.

Code: Select all

Exception: No interior 3D models found for record index 11
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallInterior.DoLayout (UnityEngine.Transform doorOwner, StaticDoor door, ClimateBases climateBase) (at Assets/daggerfall-unity/Scripts/Internal/DaggerfallInterior.cs:98)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerEnterExit.TransitionInterior (UnityEngine.Transform doorOwner, StaticDoor door, Boolean doFade) (at Assets/daggerfall-unity/Scripts/Game/PlayerEnterExit.cs:309)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've also encountered the duplicate loadIds in a couple of places. It shouldn't happen in theory, but something is going awry. I was pondering this on the flight home a couple of days back. Hopefully won't be too hard to fix once I get some time.

Thanks for pointing out that exception. That door on the crypt should not go anywhere, it's trying to load an interior that doesn't exist. I've added this to my bug list and will fix.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I checked Wayrest again with the latest build with the fix for the duplicate load IDs and there weren't any collisions. What a strange problem!

skynet3020

Post by skynet3020 »

Wow - this is incredible! It's amazing how much works already and I really appreciate the approach you've taken with this. Now you have a proven platform with which you or others can continue to incrementally add Daggerfall gameplay elements to. I remember seeing some "mods" for this in the past where people had added grass or different skyboxes/longer draw distance. Can I combine those with this release?

The most noticeable thing here is is the improved resolution. Next to that it's the increased draw distance. Do you think it would be possible to add another layer to the terrain height between the world heightmap and the noise to add geographical features such as canyons/cliffs, plateaus, and more jagged mountains to look at in the distance? Almost like something where someone could procedurally spread/blend some pre-made meshes around the world, possibly based on world height and slope. I'm not suggesting that you do this as making the game playable is far more important but I'm wondering about feasibility.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

skynet3020 wrote:Wow - this is incredible! It's amazing how much works already and I really appreciate the approach you've taken with this. Now you have a proven platform with which you or others can continue to incrementally add Daggerfall gameplay elements to. I remember seeing some "mods" for this in the past where people had added grass or different skyboxes/longer draw distance. Can I combine those with this release?
Cheers, and welcome to the forums! :D The existing mods (far terrain, enhanced sky, waving grass, birds) will be added to an upcoming test build (0.0.7/0.0.8) and will be maintained moving forwards. They can be turned on from the INI file or the upcoming launcher (currently Windows only).
skynet3020 wrote: The most noticeable thing here is is the improved resolution. Next to that it's the increased draw distance. Do you think it would be possible to add another layer to the terrain height between the world heightmap and the noise to add geographical features such as canyons/cliffs, plateaus, and more jagged mountains to look at in the distance? Almost like something where someone could procedurally spread/blend some pre-made meshes around the world, possibly based on world height and slope. I'm not suggesting that you do this as making the game playable is far more important but I'm wondering about feasibility.
This should be possible the future. There is already a terrain sampler interface (a kind of code contract defining inputs and outputs) which allows modders to plug in different ways of generating terrain samples. Nystul uses this for his improved terrain mod. It should be possible in the future to extend this to use detail models with LOD, etc.

This probably isn't something I will tackle personally, as I'm going to be so busy writing up the core gameplay systems. But at least the potential is there for later.

skynet3020

Post by skynet3020 »

Again, wow! This project is just amazing. I guess I should start learning more about Unity to see how things work in general. I haven't worked on any game projects for a long time but am a capable 3D modeler and programmer and would like to play around with some of this.