Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Post by pango »

Nystul wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 pm quite busy atm, so I can change the graphics end of next week or I can send you a link to .obj or .fbx if you want to try it out, pango
Again, I'm terrible with the Unity Editor. Most of the time I use it like a command line compiler ;)
But the models look good and worth testing
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no hurry then. Will take a look end of next week

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this is how it would look ingame:

pango

Post by pango »

Yup, blends in nicely :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

fosley

Post by fosley »

So I've been messing around with DFU for a while now, and I've run into a bunch of little things I'd like on the dungeon automap.

The map as it stands is already incredibly good after playing vanilla, but I wouldn't mind it being better. :)

General
  1. A flyout options menu somewhere would make things really nice. Some of the things here aren't for everyone, and some of them would be nice to change on the fly as needs change.
  2. Some way to restrict access to some of the options below using mods would be cool. So someone could add the new "spelunking" skill, then tie some kind of perk system to it, so each dungeon you explore opens up new options, making it feel like you earned that automatic hand-holding instead of just having easy mode ready to run at level 1. Obviously, the mod itself isn't part of this thread, but an interface with that in mind could be.
Viewing
  1. Lower slice level in addition to upper. Maybe middle mouse slides both slices at the same time (so you're moving the "current level" up and down), ctrl+MMB moves the lower slice, and shift+MMB moves the upper slice. Have a minimum slice thickness so you don't push the slices past each other or something weird.
  2. When using the cutout slice mode, clicking on the screen shouldn't select invisible geometry. Once I figured out what was going on, it wasn't too hard to bypass, but I kept putting markers in random places because I was inadvertently clicking on a room above the one I was trying to mark.
  3. Wireframe and transparent modes could have the same functionality.
  4. A command to temporarily hide dungeon sections. Sometimes, the slices don't work that well, and I just want to hide the room that's in my way but still see the stairs around it.
  5. A command to color each block with a separate color.
  6. A command to temporarily hide entire blocks. Perhaps clicking the block map on the left could toggle block visibility.
  7. An option to only show discovered blocks.
  8. An option to color edge blocks differently on the block map. Ideally, special blocks in story dungeons would have their own color too.
  9. An option to display the current block map on the real-space UI somewhere, like a minimap.
  10. I'm not sure if the dungeon blocks really work this way, but I get the feeling they're set up with "levels" at specific heights. A secondary map beside the block map showing the current level would help orient yourself vertically in the level.
  11. Movable objects, such as levers, elevators, and floating platforms, should show their current position on the map. I believe vanilla did this, although I pretty much ignored it because I hated that map.
  12. An option to show corpses, loot piles, quest items, enemies, quest npcs, etc. Possibly only show them if the player engaged with them in some way. Quest items and enemies should be a different color, or have a glowing aura with floating crown, or something of that general nature to distinguish them.
  13. Some way to hide non-functioning teleporters from the map, and hide what looks like an unexplored door where the non-functioning teleporter sometimes sits.
Controls
  1. The mouse wheel needs to zoom way faster. It was okay-ish, but slow. But going from 0.10.24 to 0.10.26a it's like trying to shove a glacier down a hill. Having it zoom like 2 to 3 times faster than 0.10.24 would be ideal. It hurts my finger just thinking about going through a dungeon now. (This also affects the town map.)
  2. Customizable hotkeys would help in several places, although I'm guessing that's going to wait until a proper hotkey system is in place. Inverting mouse axes could be helpful, as well as which mouse button does what, etc.
  3. Movement keys should be bound to WASD. They're not worth hassling with way over there, especially when other controls are in places like F2, F3, F4. But it would be really nice if I could use them instead of messing with mouse panning.
  4. Rotating the camera should use the mouse location as the rotational point, instead of some arbitrary location that has to be manually set each time.
  5. Alternately, a mouselook mode would be really nice. Combined with binding WASD to movement, then space and shift to move up and down, it would make it a breeze to navigate through the map.
  6. Along with mouselook mode, having the current slice position follow the camera could be nice.
Markers
  1. Would be nice to have different colored markers. Maybe alt+create makes it blue, shift+create makes it green, create makes it normal orange. Then opening the marker for editing could allow more colors to be selected (with a different interface).
  2. Automatic markers at unexplored sections and/or the intersection that's unexplored.
  3. Automatic markers at block entrances. Ideally, different colors for edge blocks than core blocks, with the option to ignore edge blocks.
  4. An option to see, place, and remove markers in real-space. Then you don't even need to open the map most of the time other than quickly remembering where you are. Ideally, each type of marker could be hidden or shown separately (only blue player markers, only auto block entrance markers, etc.). (This isn't entirely related to the automap interface itself, but I would at least put the option in the map screen where it's easy to find.)
  5. With that option, an option to make the real-space markers "lore-friendly". I.e., literal bread crumbs, or a tattered sash, etc.
  6. An option to show quest markers in explored rooms. Maybe it should be in a dev console command, but it could be helpful for figuring out whether the quest item bugged, or you just missed a marker. With the command to auto-explore the entire dungeon, it could be used to quickly troubleshoot things.
  7. In all reality, once you understand how blocks work and are able to see the edges, you quickly build a mental library of the various block types and stop needing markers. Mostly, I just mark the edges between core blocks, inaccessible doors, teleporters that don't work, or that expensive pile of loot I didn't have enough room for this trip. But, for those who haven't been through hundreds of DF dungeons, the markers could really help turn a mind-numbingly tedious experience into something exciting.
  8. In reference to the various blocks, it would be cool if there was some way to track markers by block. So if I've been to this particular block in a different dungeon, but marked "lever A moves grate B", that marker would carry over.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

lots of good ideas here,
might try out the free look mode suggestion when I got time.