Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Post by Nystul »

sdf and vanilla text is the same size I think ;)
will take a look what can be done

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This is how it looks on my side.
Not sure if the CTRL+Page up/down is mentioned there? Cant see much .)
Spoiler!
Map legend.jpg
Map legend.jpg (527.85 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hmm, that's not what I see. What aspect ratio are you on?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

maptrns.png
maptrns.png (838.81 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Can we please do something about this? I'm always fighting this just to see things. I just want to see things and let rotation deal with obstructions, things blending together isn't helping me at all.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

You can change the display mode to cutout (switch display modes with F2 to F4). Not much else we can do, since things on top of each other will never be easy to read :)

pango

Post by pango »

I know it would be a departure from classic, but could default view be 3D instead of 2D?
The "red grid" icon is not very obvious and I've seen several streamers just check the dungeon map, try to decipher the top-down 2D view, and conclude that they'll have to do without the map...
There may be more than one way to try to improve upon this situation, it's just that using 3D map by default seems to be the simplest one
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 pm Hmm, that's not what I see. What aspect ratio are you on?
16:10 1920x1200

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:35 amYou can change the display mode to cutout (switch display modes with F2 to F4). Not much else we can do, since things on top of each other will never be easy to read :)
That just removes where I need to go much of the time, since paths go up and down often. Where is the normal classic mode of just showing everything?

I really, really want you to experiment with a mode you haven't tried yet. I see it working quite well in my head. Render nothing but the floors, and render them a solid color, no shading or lighting effects. Apply a solid black line at the base of the floor where the walls met the floor, this will represent the wall. This black line should not be there on cliffs, just where the wall goes UP from there floor. Without wall obstruction or textures blending into other floors or walls, this should create a more readable 3d map. If depth is still a problem, you can then try darkening each layer a little different.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just a note Banshee - try that CTRL+page up / page down, it can remove the transparency.
This does not mean your ideas are not valid, its just something to try

PS: I agree with Pango that the 3d mode might be a default

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Or with mouse controls by holding down middle mouse button and moving mouse up until slice/transparency limit is higher than any geomtry - this works for all 3 modes (transparency, cutout and wireframe)

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:34 am That just removes where I need to go much of the time, since paths go up and down often. Where is the normal classic mode of just showing everything?

I really, really want you to experiment with a mode you haven't tried yet. I see it working quite well in my head. Render nothing but the floors, and render them a solid color, no shading or lighting effects. Apply a solid black line at the base of the floor where the walls met the floor, this will represent the wall. This black line should not be there on cliffs, just where the wall goes UP from there floor. Without wall obstruction or textures blending into other floors or walls, this should create a more readable 3d map. If depth is still a problem, you can then try darkening each layer a little different.
Classic never showed everything, it shows a subportion depending on viewer position but in a horrible way

Your idea sounds good, but we would need a shader programming god to implement this I fear